1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What I Am Doing to Make my Directory Different

Discussion in 'Directories' started by kentuckyslone, Sep 18, 2007.

I wanted to do something that would make my directory different. We've all know that a directory needs to stand out and be different, but what do you do?

I have integrated a blog using Wordpress with my directory. A link to all main categories is included and well identified in the right side bar. This makes the blog and directory mesh together.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback so that I can get some outsiders opinions and ideas about it.

I do have plans on integrating the style and color of the home page with other directory pages.

Any sincere and honest reply is welcome and will be appreciated :D

Directory and Information Blog

Thanks in advance

kentuckyslone, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would make a logo for the URL name I like that name could do a lot with that for branding to give the name some sizzle :)

I like the name a lot :cool:

britishguy, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  3. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you are right. I have a log but it wont work out too well with the new look so I need to get busy and get another. I gave you some green for that - dont look like you need any :eek: but the thought is what counts.

britishguy likes this.
  4. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks good, as you say, you definitely need to get the directory pages looking the same as the blog pages to make the whole thing feel glued.

Maybe be more selective with the blog posts, rather than covering every topic possible try and get a bit more niche with your content, it will help your SERPS for your niche if the SE's can see your site is topic specific rather than trying to cover everything, think I could have said that clearer but hopefully you get the point :)

Otherwise it looks good, and the branding advice is spot on.

wayner, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree that you should probably go for the same theme (or close) throughout the site. Here is what I am working on right now:

Directory portals that will be offering a lot more than just links.

Music Directory Portal
    Health Directory Portal
    Finance Directory Portal

coming soon

Directories Portal
    Shopping Directory Portal

I will be building a network of 10 niche portals in total and should be finished number 6 by the end of this year. Once they have been established a bit I will also be adding a forum to each.

jg123, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    We're just adding lots and lots of good useful links to quality websites in all categories. That's something I see a lot of directories lacking and in my opinion to fit the definition of a directory you would need a lot of good
    listings.

I'm not going to waste any time that could be spent finding good listings on blogs or anything like that. Ours is simply a directory, nothing more and nothing less.

compostannie, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    kentuckyslone and threebuckchuck like this.
  7. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    compostannie I hear what you are saying but I am not sure how much that raises the bar on the directory itself. Those same listing are probably already available via seach in any of the big search engines, plus by adding loads of sites you are pushing the ones that pay for a review further down deep.

jg123, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  8. Pauline

Pauline Peon

Best Answers:
    Make it interesting to read!

Pauline, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey pauline that is a great idea and that is why folks are adding some extra sections to directories, because straight up links don't hold much interest. Blog, news, commentarry, shopping, games and other stuff can give people other reasons to visit your directory and stay a bit.

Since the search engines seem to index sites so quickly and so well I do agree that directories need to become more than just a list of links.

jg123, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It raises the bar by having content in all the categories. Compared to hundreds/thousands I've seen out there with lots of empty categories, just having useful content in all categories raises the bar.

We're making a directory, not a paid link farm so I don't really care. If someone doesn't want to submit their health related site to LinksQuitters because I already have The World Health Organization or the Mayo Clinic listed then so be it.

Maybe thats not good business, but it's good directory building. If we all agreed on what makes a good directory, then all of our directories would be a carbon copy of each other. Wouldn't that be boring?

Are we changing the definition of a directory? I love to browse directories. I don't like reading blogs and articles written by content providers.

compostannie, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Variety is the spice of life but if you asked 1000 people whether they would prefer to read informational blogs and articles or browse listings in a directory I am guessing around 999 would take the first choice.

jg123, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  12. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like those directories that focus on content, but I feel that those are no longer directories as they provide more than a list of links.

I think they are more like article directories IMO.

coolsitez, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  13. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I can hijack this thread back :)

Exactly what I was thinking. Definitely narrow the topic on the blog posts. If they're feeds, I would go with original content.

bschneider5, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  14. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    What I am doing, as far as I am concerned, is still experimental. I wanted this site to become more than just an average directory. I am thinking of more ways that I can integrate the blog / directory sections.

I understand what some of you mean when you talk about a blog needing to concentrate on a single theme, but Im not sure I want to do that with this. A general directory, in itself, doesnt concentrate on a single theme anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, comments, and everything. Keep them coming.

15. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think kentuckyslone is taking a step by step evaluation of how he develops the directory, this in itself seems the a very good way to progress, with controlled phasing in of new features :)

It does take time and imho it takes at least 12 months for a directory to really come into its own

Of course it can be done much quicker but there may/or may not be some downside factors to consider if you go for fast track development

britishguy, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  16. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:
    Thanks britishguy

This directory has been online for right at a year now. Actually the 20th of this month makes exactly a year since I launched it.

This one has maintained a PR3 through the last two updates.

I recently changed the actual homepage of the directory to a Wordpress blog. I added links to all main categories to the top of the right side bar.
    I realize that there may be a temporary 'glitch' with the search engines because of the change in the root dir that the bots will see. I am thinking that the changes will be favorable since the previous page was simply a front for the directory categories etc.

Of course these changes could affect my PR, but Im not too concerned about that. I just want to evolve/develop a unique sort of directory.

17. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    kentuckyslone ;

Great site, I have one listed there I think. One thing I would make sure you do at some point, is to build links to inner pages. I think your deep links option is very cool, but without the links to inner categories. It isn't much help. But keep up good work :)

I was just about to submit to portal4music, but noticed the software category isn't indexed :\ This a new project for you? If so, I will submit and wait for it to be indexed :)

terryuk, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  18. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    terryuk, yes these three portals are quite new and I am in the process of build backlinks for them. You can find a discount code on the home page under site news.

thanks

jg123, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ignore some people Annie they are webmasters of profit and we do it because we love editing.

popotalk, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  20. mauiman

mauiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's largely about traffic (i.e. exposure for listing) + perceived value (cost/benefit) + favorable first impression.

Do blogs, articles, or news help that much? My guess is they may help the first impression, but that's it. I submit that very few business people (website owners) are going to give a hoot about a blog, articles, or news. It's hard enough to sell the idea that a web directory is needed, MUCH LESS, yet another source of news, articles, or a blog.

Not trying to throw cold water here... just trying to be realistic.

Lastly, has ANYONE surveyed actual submitters to find out why THEY choose some directories over others? If so, I'd love to hear about the results.

Cheers. Nice site btw KentuckySlone... best of success to you.

mauiman, Sep 19, 2007 IP