1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which directory should I submit too first...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Franck S, Sep 16, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Care to elaborate on a technique or way?

I myself have found a few listings by "mistake" and sitting on parked pages
    even after i had validated and purged the databases off dead links.

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you accept that Google has targeted you (and others) and if so why do you think they have? Why do you find it so difficult to learn from the mistakes everyone else is debating? Have you asked yourself what it was about your content that got up my nose?

workshop, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  3. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    It's a desktop application I am working on. Basically, it will pull in the database, and resume where I left off last time in a continual cycle. The sites will be in a list, and I can just double click on the site to review it. The category will be in a column to the right of the URL also. Should make re-reviews a lot more accessible and convenient. I will probably add a checkbox further to the right of the category, which will either remove or disable the listing, and then the database automatically reposted when the application closes.

mystikmedia, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  4. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

ok
    ... that works for me :D

Timetable till project completed? just curious is all :)

malcolm1, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  5. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Of course I know that to be the case, either manual or algorithmic. I don't think anyone can say otherwise. I do not understand it fully yet, however, since there are conflicts in all theories I have heard so far and information that leads in different directions.

I think we have already discussed about the content in another thread now.

The multiple thread conversation is a bit odd. :)

6. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    About a month if I can find the time to work on it more than lately.

7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont think we have but I do agree that we should try and keep this particular thread on track.

workshop, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  8. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This will be my last post on the subject.

From what I can tell you have only a handful of sites listed in your directory. So you have "people" who have been accepting/denying these 10 or so sites who can't manage to capitalize the first letters of words in titles? You can't go back and change it? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Northern Rock has nothing to do with a company having a professional image. Do you mean to tell me you think both webmasters and visitors are going to want to use your site as much as they would Alive Directory? Come on... Chris doesn't say his link is better than yours, but I would say it. I'm sure the people on his "top hits" page with over 6000 visitors would say it.. But no one uses directories?

Saying that you are more interested in content than grammar implies you actually have content. I don't see much. Then you imply no one uses Yahoo directory for content, but say you are trying to build content yourself. For who? Search engines? Isn't that what you are trying to bash now? And thinking logically, are you saying that your directory will have to be better than Yahoo's in order to pass traffic?

People who don't answer questions directly usually do so for one of two reasons: they don't understand the question or don't have a good answer. I think the second applies here for you. I'm not sure you know what having a directory really means... When I explained it earlier, you said "everything can and will change." What will not change is the definition of a directory and how to make a good one. Was your answer a way of dancing around the question? And it is better I spend less money promoting a product, even if I think that product is worth promoting?

Chris has spent a lot on advertising for his directories. Almost always, I have found he usually limits his spending to relevant sites. This is no different than a shoe site spending money to have links on other shoe sites. So making the assumption his work has been in vain and doesn't offer anything of value is ignorant. He isn't perfect, by any means. But as far as this sector of business goes, he is about as professional as they come.

You have an inferior product and you think you are taking the "higher" road by bashing other people's hard work? I don't think anything else needs to be said. Everyone here knows the truth and will act accordingly.

MattEvers, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    britishguy and discover like this.
  9. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    If you don't want a debate don't start the argument.
    Alive is being "bashed" by Google not by me. Its something that I and many others saw coming six months or more ago. And the products I am bringing to the market are inferior by design. Its deliberate as I want to pop a few bubbles and prove that you dont have to bullsh*t people to turn a buck. Our directories are everything that Alive is not. We dont buy our loyalty, we dont buy links, we dont buy respectability and we are concentrating on quality hand picked content such as the listings you will find on Eco Guides
    You missed my point entirely but then I am once again I being deliberately obscure so I can prove how jolly clever I really am and what a clod you are. If you have said your piece why dont you trot off and correct someone else's spelling. :p

workshop, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  10. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a debate. It's right and wrong. That's why I don't need to keep saying the same things over and over.

I asked 9 questions in the above post and you answered 1 in your reply. Do I really have to justify myself any further? Don't answer that...it's rhetorical.

And I am sorry about the spelling line... It seems to be bothering you. :)

Good luck.

MattEvers, Sep 18, 2007 IP
    mystikmedia likes this.
  11. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    No you bother me. You rattle around inside a shoe box. How do you expect anyone to figure out what you are muttering and mumbling about? Spit it out boy and lets address your concerns. What questions did you ask that I did not answer? Tell me what part of my answer you didn't understand and I will spell it out for you letter by letter, tit for tat. :)

12. Vibes63

Vibes63 Peon

Best Answers:
    This may seem like a really stupid question. But why do people create directories. Advertisment revenue? Or is that in hopes of turning it into a paid directory? Just wanted a little insight thanks

Vibes63, Sep 18, 2007 IP
  13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats the question everyone asking. The short answer is that there is a demand for back links from webmasters who want to improve their serp's. As far as I am aware Google doesn't have a problem with this as its low value high volume stuff if its done properly. This is where we come in and its an opportunity to start up a directory and why your question is valid. And the problem we are facing today has come about because some of the brighter boys started talking up the value of tools such as PR and Authority Status and everything has got a little blurred in the process.

Lets try and put it this way. The way it should work is that a directory master starts up a directory in the hopes of securing enough traffic to make charging for ****** (tricky patch here) a viable business. In practise it wont work unless they successfully penetrate and secure a niche market. That however takes time and in most cases is impractical until you add Google to the equation. There is a value to the back links a listing affords a webmaster so if you start off as a General Directory you can earn a small income from webmasters requesting you to review this sites for inclusion to your directory. This will allow you to earn enough to justify building the resource we would all like to see, if that makes sense. However its all a question of checks and balances and there are cut outs as we have just witnessed.

Which diectory should you submit to? Its all up in the air right now. There is going to be huge attrition as the fat boys have to start tigtening their belts but on the other hand doors are also opening and I believe we are going to see growth in the right direction.

14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry I missed you all these days. But it was not my fault- it has been raining and raining and there is big flood in my locality. So all the communication system has been down --and my Tel. is dead till now (Sorry I don't have DSL connection and have to be content with Dial-up) -- Only got GPRS today. So here I am to stalk you on DP.:D

NO- we can't keep it that way- the Directory section has seen enough of your BS and antics. Others might pass you off as an ignorant soul- I am here to fix you up.:mad:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

OMG- he is going to destroy me along with my directories:confused:

Guys -- please tell me where will I hide, where will I run - I AM VERY SCARED!

GO ON - You fool. Do whatever you want - lemme see how many balls you got.

Either destroy me & my directories or just SHUT UP.
    Enough of your EPTY TALKS.:mad:

Whenever you post from now on- think twice.

jhnrang, Sep 21, 2007 IP
    maldives likes this.
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Just when it looks like its safe to go back into the water....this loonitic pops up again! :) Its been real quite without you.

workshop, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats great- you felt quite during my forced absence. Now I am ready to Rock- and see all the antics/tricks/jokes you can come up with. I'll really enjoy your comedy posts.:D

jhnrang, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, great. I see this thread has abandoned content and substituted a lame version of witty repartee and school-yard threats as the criterion for posting.

Before you guys carry on, get a spell-checker (better get one each so you don't have to share). Learn the difference between Its and It's, quite and quiet, lose(r) and loose(r), etc., etc., and note that there is no such word as "Thats".

minstrel, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Lighten up. You might al$o scare this one away and spell checkers just dont give anyon€ room to improvise.

19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly workshop dude, I just visited your site and if you allow constructive comments I guess you have to tell the master to find sites to add. As it comes to the same point that its built for nothing except blank pages. It's good to have lots of categories but blanks are not a good sign. Try filling them out too.

Just an honest comment.

:)

popotalk, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Why? Do you really need to get edgy about empty categories? Appearances don't count except where you are dressing it for buyers . I always thought it was the directory master and the content that makes the difference? I have asked her to start adding sub-categories to the one she has chosen. Once she is happy with that she can start customising the layout we started her off but no need to rush it. It all works.