1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to set up a "massive" forum using vBulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by siteseer, Jul 5, 2007.

Hi,

i am planning to use 1 vBulletin license for a big site that has a general overall theme but will have many sub-sections.

i want an entry page that will point visitors to the various forums based on their needs.

for example if it is www.all-you-need-to-know-about-sports-mega-forum.com
    i want to have a landing page to have clickable icons such as basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis, etc that will take the visitor to the clicked section (ie tennis forms, or baseball forums), but it all will be on one forum/license. the other forums will be collapsed, but available if chosen but the clicked/intended forum will open up in full.

how do i get this done? is it doable?
    please provide any examples, if you know; or general concepts

thanks
    siteseer
    :)

siteseer, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't give yourself too many boards on your site, you'll find that it's too server intensive and not recommended by the vB team.

Though, if you want to have various skins based upon category, these can be set via your Admin Control Panel. Just load any desired themes, then under your Forum Manager click on the main category and select the desired theme.

However, all must keep yoru main site logo, and all must be under the same domain. If you plan on tweaking beyond that you may need to contact vB, as you could be infringing on the license agreement.

I am not sure how to minimize the other categories via a link though, in fact I'm not even sure if that is possible. You can however, just link to the given Category, which would give the custom skin, and show only the sub-forums of that section... like: Design & Development or more specific: Site & Server Administration

Qryztufre, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  3. siteseer

siteseer Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks Qryztufre for your input. appreciated.

anyone else have experience with this?

will i need a dedicated server?

thanks
    -siteseer

siteseer, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  4. pjk

pjk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could create a separate domain that is just full of graphics and each link will take them to the proper forum that is shown. That would make your landing page interesting, as opposed to a forum.

pjk, Jul 9, 2007 IP
  5. siteseer

siteseer Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks, PJK
    but how do i get the link/hperlinked image to open the right forum category.
    i mean once the linked is clicked, i would only want the appropriate category to open.
    it is a function of the skin/theme or of vBulletin ?

siteseer, Jul 20, 2007 IP
  6. Glen

Glen Peon

Best Answers:
    You would just do it manually with HTML

Glen, Sep 16, 2007 IP
  7. raize

raize Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out joomla if you want point and click or you will have to design the site from scratch using software such as Adobe Dreamweaver

raize, Sep 16, 2007 IP