1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to learn HTML.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sachin410, Nov 18, 2005.

I got two sites, but am not a web designer.

I think its time that I learn how to design web pages.

Should I start with HTML ? ( I bought "HTML 4 for Dummies" by Tittel and Burmeister.)

What other resources can be helpful to me? Any good online resource?

sachin410, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  2. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    When I started out I read all I could on webmonkey. But that was years ago.
    When you know HTML, have a look at CSS.

sgthayes, Nov 18, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  3. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tuning, Nov 18, 2005 IP
    minstrel and sachin410 like this.
  4. smashingjay

smashingjay Peon

Best Answers:
    This is hands-down the best starting point book for HTML: Elizabeth Castro’s HTML for the World Wide Web, Fifth Edition with XHTML and CSS: A Visual Quick Start Guide, 2003, Peachpit Press.

As far as web resources go, I found the Web Developer's HandBook(http://www.alvit.de/handbook) very good. It is terrible to look at but is a tremendous resource.

All the best,

Jay

smashingjay, Nov 19, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  5. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of these suggestions are decent places to start, but always remember that the HTML Specification <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/> is the definitive resource.

FeelLikeANut, Nov 19, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  6. smashingjay

smashingjay Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the W3.org homepage is a good reference but I find that practical tutorials and sites that provide articles on developing by standards is best to begin with. My own personal experience was to start out with a WYSIWYG editor such as Dreamweaver and as I began spending more time looking at the code view and fixing stuff I shouldn't have to fix I moved to a text editor. I use a combination of editors such as HTML-Kit (chami.com) and Notepad ++ (available from SourceForge).

All the best,

Jay

smashingjay, Nov 19, 2005 IP
  7. Brinked

Brinked Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    htmlgoodies.com

Brinked, Nov 19, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  8. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    No WYSIWYG editor has ever produced code correctly (that is, conforms to the official HTML specification). What you said about the articles and tutorials just before that shows that you at least desire to produce correct code, but I guarentee you that learning from editors is not the way to achieve that.
    This is another source that teaches you to do everything that the official specification tries to dissuade you from. If you read the "about Joe Burns" page you would see that at every stage where he has taught HTML he has done so with no real knowledge of HTML. And that tradition continues. Much of the HTML information on that site is incomplete or incorrect. I personally know the Perl section is absolutely pathetic; anyone learninig from it will have to do some unlearning later. I have not read through all the other sections but I expect their quality to also be that of an amateur at the keyboard.

FeelLikeANut, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  9. smashingjay

smashingjay Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I don't want to make anyone think that this is the best way to learn. I thought, at the time, I was developing websites. Once I realized I had gone down the wrong path I spent my time learning the right way to do things.

Some sites with good tutorials include sitepoint.com and alistapart.com. There are so many more but there are just so many good ones to list here.

There is also a good tutorial in the beginning of Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for the Web Design, Richard York, Wrox (Wiley Publishing) 2005.

Hand coding and previews in a standards compliant a browser as possible and making fixes for non-compliant browsers is the way to go.

All the best,

Jay

smashingjay, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  10. mani_

mani_ Banned

Best Answers:
    try this one www.dwebcity.com , it has HTML and CSS both tutorials... and in very simple..

mani_, Nov 20, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  11. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to come off as oppressive, but this is certainly a bad source is learn from. The best I can say for the HTML information provided by this site is that it was true eight years ago. However, there are still many instances of information that was *never* true. The author also has a clear misunderstanding of what HTML fundamentally is. (I can provide specific examples with full explanations for all these points if anyone requests them. I'm not expecting anyone to simply take my word for it.)

The CSS section is ok, not great, but ok.

Unfortunately, poor information has circulated the Web more so than correct information. As a result the majority of HTML tutorials are written by people who do not truly understand the language. Thankfully forums such as this one exist so everyone can help to educate one another.

FeelLikeANut, Nov 20, 2005 IP
  12. smashingjay

smashingjay Peon

Best Answers:
    smashingjay, Nov 21, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  13. Lonny.P

Lonny.P Peon

Best Answers:
    Lonny.P, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  14. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    This site actually would have been a decent one eight years ago. But since the latest versioin of HTML was released much of the information presented here has become outdated. Though it does delve into topics beyond HTML, such as finding a host and domain and working with search engines that may still be useful.

FeelLikeANut, Nov 22, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  15. submitter999

submitter999 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    100% agree. start from w3 they cover all parts of the subject , then follow books for a deep understanding.

submitter999, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  16. Ginene

Ginene Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this post. I was searching on information about this. :)

Ginene, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  17. KevinK

KevinK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Web design has two parts to it, I’d say. One is are the graphics and the other is the coding.

HTML is fairly simple once you know it. I started out with Netscape editor, now I mainly use UltraEdit (html/php), HomeSite (html), and VisualStudio (ASP.NET/C#/HTML).

My recommendation to you would be to practice, practice, practice. It is one of the reason why I ended up setting up my own personal website, so I could practice/learn the things that I don’t deal with in projects I am working on.

KevinK, Mar 4, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  18. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer Peon

Best Answers:
    what Ms Frontpage

Nightsurfer, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  19. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Frontpage ;)

maldives, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  20. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely correct. Do not even consider using a wysiwyg editor/code generator. You will turn out crap for code.

Just remember, HTML is neither rocket surgery nor brain science :eek:. Run through some tutes—w3schools is good—but the real lesson is that all html does is put labels on your content. Eg., this is a paragraph, this a header, oh, there's a list, &c.. Ignore anyone who starts talking about using the table structure to lay out the page. Doing that, now that we've had css-p support for more than five years, is stupid, and there is no reason to go there.

You'll also need tutorials on css. Again, w3schools is a good start. As for layout, avoid absolute positioning until you reach at least advanced intermediate abilities; there are too many gotchas for a beginner.

Just my 2¢ American.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 5, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.