1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    heheh yes i noticed 2 pages ago where completely filled with "you have No Clue" and "you still dont get it" and that happy stuff.
    (worth a few laughs anyway)

Personally i think this issue has gone stale as submissions are picking up again and life is
    back to normal for now until the next rocket scientist barks out a poorly titled thread that draws attention.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just a suggestion :eek: maybe this thread could be closed now??? its served its purpose, been rinsed and repeated and might help most of us move on now.

pipes, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  3. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing new fo course. It is quiet usual from him and of course he always tries his best to find reasons to argue and keep the threads going. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

maldives, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Precisely. Show me a quality bidding directory, as defined by The Pheonix. Anywhere.

It's no accident. Posts in the Directories forum here were so filled with scam, spam, and self-promotion they made me vomit. I'm happy to see Google taking action against the people responsible for that.

I take great satisfaction in seeing criminals, liars, cheaters, scammers, and spammers caught and punished, I freely admit that.

I'm not against directories. I have three small niche directories myself. I am against self-promoting spammers, scammers, and manipulators.

Yeah. Like I need to increase my post count. :rolleyes:

Nonsense. I don't like to argue for the sake of arguing. I don't like to see people posting absolute bullshit without countering that with some facts and evidence.

minstrel, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    wildweb and aditya_sfs like this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I had a slow but steady trickle of submissions to our directories and bar the odd few here and there it has all but dried up. I dont like self-promoting spammers, scammers, and manipulators either.
    Its not accidental. Some of us believe that this mess could have been avoided if more of us had stood up and challenged the distortions and bare faced misrepresentations when they first started.

workshop, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  6. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the question is whether bidding directories are really helpful or not ? I guess they are not actually except the web directory owners.

Well lets say i make a mobile phone store online which sells mobile phones and accessories and then i list it is a topmost bid on 10 most popular bidding web directories (all those talked about here like bigweblinks, zorglinks, webdirectorybid etc. etc. etc.), i will be spending 15K$ for this. How many hits you think i will get per day after that ? lets agree with you 500 hits per day (All hits are going to be from DP directory owners only). How many of them will actually buy a product on my site ? None i guess, the amount is wasted.

Apply the same concept to any site, What if i list a DVD Store website ? What if i list a Entertainment Forums there ? How many members will i get ? Lets say i list my blog there ? How many active readers will i get ? How much will my RSS count increase to ?

aditya_sfs, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that Mod remove this thread too...

xc06, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  8. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Firstly I have to say I agree with your first couple of paragraphs and I am assuming that it was a general bidding directory.

What you describe in your last paragraph is a niche which would have a little more potential in succeeding HOWEVER we come back to the same old issue, is another DVD store owner going to buy DVDs from you? Well maybe some discontinued ones. The DVD store owner wants traffic to their site by potential customers that will buy.

I've said this millions of times, directories can work and bidding directories can work BUT you need to wrap additional services around it to draw the right type of customer you are targeting.

Setting up a general stand-alone directory or bidding directory with no supporting services is nothing but clutter and rubbish! Yes, some of you will argue that you are making money because you are selling to other webmasters and inbreeding the crap out of your directories. Its utter ridiculous people.

Here is a sample of what you should be striving for. It has categories, it has geo-leads it has lots of great features. Take the time to browse the site and absorb what you can really do to your directory and give it the value it needs to maximize monetization.

Alibaba

LaCabra, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Alibaba.com is kinda different though from our type of business, i agree, totally worth a look for ideas etc but its main use when i often visited it in the past was to find products to import, its wholesale goods, dropshipping and all of that.

pipes, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Why? Is the negative press hurting your income? :)

11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No such thing as bad press, celebs make a living from it, infact your not cool in the UK unless you have a heroin addiction and have been through rehab 3 times this year.

If directory owners are so bad then this thread will make sure that were never forgotten.;)

pipes, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  12. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Not ANY different than your business actually, you have a directory that lists sites and links to them. Alibaba is actually very similar, they list product links and information and links to those products and companies. They choose to provide more information than just anchor text, description and link. This is what its all about ... innovation! Wrap services around your directory and change up what you display and you will be making a nice livelihood...

:)

LaCabra, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Admittedly i haven't been back on the Alibaba site for some time until visiting again today, i agree that wrapping services around a directory will probably become the future for us, i found your recent post about this very useful by the way ;) im already seeing some owners striving hard to add unique and new services and im inspired by them but of course where possible il try to add my own touches too, personally i know its easy for me to copy what i see but much better if i try and be innovative.

Im doing lots of thinking, less rushing and planning long term.

pipes, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Fantastic Pipes!! Just take your time and do it right. You will see that in the longterm things do pay off. Its not a hard concept to understand its just a little bit different than just firing up a turnkey directory. You can also ask for little more money in terms of listings from your clients.

cheers
    :)

LaCabra, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  15. steve@freshpage.net

steve@freshpage.net Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would anyone want to close the thread ?, so lets move on, you move on by being honest.

steve@freshpage.net, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  16. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the reason is completely different.
    It's because we see here many new people who have no idea about directories, have nothing interesting to say concerning directories.

Beacuse it's full of frustrated poor members who stay in their hate against directories, and probably all because they couldn't succeed with directories.
    And who won't succeed in anything as directories is business same as any other, requiring a lot of work, knowledge, promotion skills and having good relations with clients.

dargre, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  17. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with Minstrel. People want threads like this closed because people just can't take the plain and simple truth.

The Pheonix, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  18. aditya_sfs

aditya_sfs Peon

Best Answers:
    You are wrong, minstrel is right. People cant accept the truth.

Perhaps I guess Digitalpoint Forums is the only place where a bunch of people calling themselves directory owners carryout shameless self promotion for their web directories business model which dont have any future or respect outside this forums.

You are right in the point that business need lot of work, knowledge , promotion skills and good relations with clients. But i guess other business is difficult than directory business. What is required with directories actually is just install a turnkey phpLinkDirectory and add categories (or use a dump) and then pay someone money to make a custom theme (or use a free one) and then a few hours submit to some popular directories (hardly some hours and 2000$ around of money). then wait for PR update and jump high ........ WOWOWO I HAVE A PR5 WEB DIRECTORY. Bullcrap, total bullshit , What value does that directory provide to the submitters.?

aditya_sfs, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    wildweb likes this.
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I see. So because I have some negative things to say about the majority of directories and directory owners spamming the Directories forums at DP, you assume I'm unsuccessful.

Do you own this site? http://www.all4seo.net/

20. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    True aditya this was the case in directories other than DP forums directories are not that famous & nor getting traffic from it.... main thing that matters is content... we can say google respects original non-copied content :) so as we can see some of the dir's which has great content hasnt been penalized by the google... what say ?

abhishekdaaga, Sep 15, 2007 IP