1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How fast do you approve free listings?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by emptymirror, Sep 14, 2007.

This one is for all you directory owners out there. How fast do you approve free listings? And, how often do you attend to your directories?

I'm wondering, because I submitted a particular site to several hundred directories, manually, in April, May, & June.

The site that was submitted is PR6, an authority site online since 2000. The directory submission descriptions were carefully written, and each directory's rules were followed closely, and submission was to the lowest-level relevant category.

However, I find that while many directories did add the listing, about an equal number did not. Either it was rejected with no notification, or the submission hasn't yet been considered.

Upon checking those directories, I find that some of them haven't even added new listings in a month or two. For some, it's been even longer.

I'm grateful to the directories that did add my listing! But I wonder about the reason the others didn't, since my submission adhered to all their rules.

So again, it just leads me to ask -
    How quickly do you usually add links?

How often do you add new links to your directory (daily, weekly, monthly)?

If I see a directory that has not added any links in, say, 3 weeks or a month, do you think it's safe to assume that directory is no longer being maintained?

If a link submission hasn't been added within 2 months, it seems to me that it's very likely that it never will be added. Do you agree? How long is too long to wait for a link to be added before giving up?

cheers ~
    Denise

emptymirror, Sep 14, 2007 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  2. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Within 12 hours usually. Although it's written on my site that it's 2 weeks - to try and keep away the spammers.

If they are decent sites then quick, full of adsense or looks naff means it might take a while or get declined.

blade007, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  3. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    The clue lies in your question,

Free,

My directories started out as free, however, time is a very limited resource, even with little promotion, i was getting about 50 submissions/directory a day.

I elected to focus on learning more about directories, promoting harder, and converted to paid status,

Now I have a gigantic que of sites to review, which i will do, but very few will make it into the directory, once i get the organisation of the directories to at least "C" grade.

Each site needs to be visited and reviewed, so free reviews are hard

Now paid, reviews, they are done within hours

Actually, there is a valid school of thought that free reviews should rank "Pari passu" with paid reviews, I simply can't afford to do so yet,

one day :)

centime, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  4. bam bam

bam bam Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't seem to have much of a life away from the internet. haha.

I work on it all day, so as soon as i get a submission i generally check it there and then.

Thinking about it i should probably relax a bit, just to show that there is an upside to paying for a link.

bam bam, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  5. StudioWorks

StudioWorks Peon

Best Answers:
    I approve them within 24 hours or so.. depends on how much free time I have in a day.

StudioWorks, Sep 15, 2007 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  6. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do it daily but my directory is a small niche. I am fed up however of people submitting non related sites!

Makubwa, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  7. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    on goodwebdirectory.com i review submission in 2-3 days time! in the paid ones, i take less than 12 hours to review!:)

uttoransen, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  8. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I normally approve free submissions within a day or two. Sometimes sooner. It's those that submit to the wrong categories and MFA sites that consumes our time...

snowbird, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  9. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Daily here too, sometimes 10 or 20 times a day due to my rather unhealthy obsession... :rolleyes:

wayner, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  10. bytestor

bytestor Peon

Best Answers:
    Both Free and Paid listing in my directory is approved with in 24 hrs time. In most cases I do it in couple of hours.

In spite of having a clear big title as "UK & Europe's Largest Business Directory". I find lots of submission from asia and Canada.

I normally reject all these and adult sites, dating sites and all in this list.

bytestor, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  11. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to do all within 24 hours but some that are spam or resubmits of spams sites may sit a week or 2 just so they can't add it again for awhile

jminscoe, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  12. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    While not a FREE directory, LinksQuitters Directory reviews submitted links and approves them (if quality sites) within no more than 12 hours.
    Again, user submitted sites are approved within 12 hours but LinksQuitters Directory is always looking for quality sites to list in the directory and it is done on a daily basis. Click here to see the newest additions to LinksQuitters.
    I can not speak for anyone else here but that WOULD be my assumption. Directories need to be maintained and looked after EVERY day. It's all about a commitment to quality and usability.
    If you submitted it and they aren't listing it, I would try contacting the owner of the directory and asking these same questions and if there is no reply, consider you submission a waste of time and move on.

JMHO as always :D

threebuckchuck, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  13. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1 month or more.

We have got 400+ free submissions per day. We have to review most of them, time is always a problem. :(

Antonio, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  14. steve@freshpage.net

steve@freshpage.net Peon

Best Answers:
    I was up to date, but I had a good holiday in Ireland, and now have about a months backlog, I am Pr3 (possibly a little more in reality), and can get about 70 submissions a day, so a bigger PR directory can get about 300 submissions a day (or more)

So the bigger the PR, the more submissions a free directory has to process, however google do crawl the lower pR directories, and the small ones may go bust, close, or if your fortunate grow into something really big.

Despite this most directories are more customer focused than DMOZ, (who are hopeless in our area). I submitted to DMOZ a year, ago no answer.

Paid directories get much fewer submissions, but check the submissions in the directory, to see if they are fussy editors or just spam farms.

steve@freshpage.net, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  15. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the directory. Some directories have little to no editorial process, so you should expect quick turnaround. This also applies to directories with few submissions.

One of my larger directories gets a lot of submissions daily, so if I go away for a few days by the time I get back to it I'm several hundred behind. If it's free, you shouldn't expect your cake and eat it too. If you want a fast turnaround, shell out some $$.

bschneider5, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  16. yaffer

yaffer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I approve links usually within a couple hours, but some times it goes 12 hours before it's reviewed. I don't allow free submission.

yaffer, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  17. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    On second directory in my sig I approve free links every day.
    It's possible as I have some limits for it.
    Also I approve only non-commercial, charity, etc. for free.

dargre, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  18. louis2

louis2 Peon

Best Answers:
    The general tenancy is when a directory is started submissions are approved very quickly. say within 2 days. It gradually slows down. Some even stop reviewing but still accept free submissions.

Not every directory does this but many do.

I got a site approved by a directory yesterday that I submitted a more than a year ago. ( not dmoz )

louis2, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  19. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Approve free listings within 24 hours and paid listings within less than 12 hours (sometimes less than 5-6 hours).

deluxdon, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  20. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    HI

I am online 12-14 hours a day. I am constantly checking my Directory ( One in my signature) and so, As soon As I see submission, I check them, check their Quality and Approve them. So I would say within 24 hours. But I have written 2-3 weeks for regular links and 24-48 hours for featured Links.

This is because I am having plenty of free time these days;)

digitalduke, Sep 15, 2007 IP