Recovery From Overoptimization

Discussion in 'Google' started by advantage, Sep 12, 2007.

Can anyone tell me from experience how long it takes to recover from overoptimization penalties?

Is there anything one can do to speed up the process?

advantage, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  2. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For the onsite factors that is easy.

Try to speed the process may be like a man running full speed with an anchor tied to his back.

bogart, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  3. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you site is over optimized on pages so just change the content and wait till it's refreshed and cached in the search engine again other wise get more links to your website and try to use a lot of variation in your anchor text, hope you will recover soon... Good luck.

IEmailer.com, Sep 14, 2007 IP
    advantage likes this.
  4. flash902007

flash902007 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah possibly look into changing the content of your site, if you have too many keywords, remove some, if you are keyword stuffing, remove some, and check all your alt tags, make sure they all arnt filled up with loads of keywords.

generally changing the content and not over-optimizing it again should do the trick. keep us updated on the progress if yo can

flash902007, Sep 14, 2007 IP
    advantage likes this.
  5. SEMSpot

SEMSpot Peon

Best Answers:
    All of the on page changes you make will take effect the next time google comes by your site to cache it. With the new tag changes (meta, alt, img, etc if you were keyword spamming) and updated content (over use of keywords, hidden/small text, etc) the changes should take effect rather soon. Also another thing you should always be trying to do is getting more backlinks pointing to your website. By doing this it adds more credibility to the search engines by seeing your site referenced on many others. Please keep us informed on the changes you made and when you made them.

Steve

SEMSpot, Sep 14, 2007 IP
    advantage likes this.
  6. advantage

advantage Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a relief. All of my sites are crawled frequently because of my concentrated link building efforts.

thanks guys

Actually im back on the first page for many terms.. g doing some strange things lately so that might have been the problem.. when i fall form first page to second page i normally assume that is an overoptimization penalty bcz it seems to knock you back about 8-10 spots.

advantage, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  7. Zanswer

Zanswer Peon

Best Answers:
    8-10 spots are most likely just normal fluctuation. 8 - 10 pages drop, but for only a few days, can be Google dance too. A penalty is typically more severe and last much longer.

Zanswer, Sep 14, 2007 IP
  8. DomainDomain

DomainDomain Active Member

Best Answers:
    On one of my sites I severly overoptimised. I changed the onpage thigs that were obviously causing a penalty and within a few weeks my results were improving. It does'nt take too long mate.
    DD

DomainDomain, Sep 15, 2007 IP