1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Entrepreneurs - born or made?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by blackE36, Sep 13, 2007.

Pretty interesting article about the makeup of an entrepreneur - can't post links yet but here you go - http://www.dnaofanentrepreneur.com/the-dna-of-an-entrepeneur

blackE36, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is pretty silly?
    Some people are born with it (don't need money, but enjoy it), others are made (put in a situation where they need to do it).

To say that there's a gene in the DNA is stupid. Anyone can do it if they want to. Now stop reading studies and start doing something!

Blitz, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  3. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    both, for sure both, there born and then there made good from experiance

Jasonb, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  4. tushardhoot1

tushardhoot1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course theres not a gene.

Its either an interest, hobby or because you have to.

tushardhoot1, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  5. Carlito

Carlito Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion:
    Entrepreneur is a mindset. There's nothing you need to be born with to be a great one.

Carlito, Sep 13, 2007 IP
    Blitz likes this.
  6. blackE36

blackE36 Peon

Best Answers:

I agree - but why do some people have this drive? My company works directly with business owners and I can tell pretty quickly the difference between someone who is "self employed" and someone who is an entrepreneur. It's not very difficult for someone to create a job for themselves - which is all someone does in creating an owner/operator type business and it doesn't make them an entrepreneur.

As for reading studies instead of doing something - I've owned businesses online and offline since I was 15 so I've been "doing something" for quite a few years. :)

blackE36, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  7. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly you are who you want to be, and nobody can tell you otherwise. :)

KingofKings, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  8. KunkVentures

KunkVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    basically entrepreneurs are people who don't take shit. You don't live by other peoples rules (except the gov'ts and even then not always), you do what you please, and you are entirely responsible for your own success.

KunkVentures, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  9. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I won't take a particularly strong stand either way, but I'm leaning towards the fact that entrepreneurs are made.

Some studies with twins have showed remarkable similarities between twins who were separated at birth. Even down to their personality. Which would, of course, suggest that they weren't made that way- but born with it.

However, without the proper circumstances, an entrepreneur will never come into being. Most motivation from being an entrepreneur comes from a lack of money growing up. If you were born rich, would you constantly obsess over making more money in lucrative ways?

Of course not.

Both factors are needed, but an important emphasis on how you are raised will probably be the deciding factor. There are exceptions to what I have stated, but this seems to be the common rule.

zac439, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  10. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    Man that's a perfect way to describe an Entrepreneurs.

I like the "They Play by there own rules." Part. :cool:

KingofKings, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  11. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right place at the right time......

Makubwa, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  12. ExpertForumGuy

ExpertForumGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Entrepreneurs are really influenced by their parents.

If you grow up with parents who emphasize working for someone else, then chances are that you will end up working for someone else

of course there's always exceptions and other factors.

But parents are a huge part of it.
    Like for example, the men on my dad's side have started their own successful businesses, my Dad is starting his own business as we speak.

likewise, I am on my way to owning a successful online business, as well as every single one of my male cousins. Even my 14 year old cousin is selling shirts on Ebay as we speak.

Same on my mom's side, she's started her own music business, her brothers tried starting businesses, and now I have a cousin, and she too is starting her own clothing business.
    So it just has to do with parenting, and how you grew up. & How you were raised.

So I guess there are two types of people:
    - Those who are ambitious
    - And those who get jealous of ambitious people.

ExpertForumGuy, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  13. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    It's in your head - If you want to achieve such thing, you have the possibility to do that - but if you keep doubting and do not care, things may not go as you've planned them.

Meti

WatchOut, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  14. dnordstrom

dnordstrom Guest

Best Answers:
    Entrepreneurs are neither born nor made, they are raised.

dnordstrom, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  15. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. A lot of them have come from wealthy backgrounds and prestigious universities. It really depends what you define entrepreneur as, but there's plenty of big businesses which were started by wealthy individuals.

I think you're all reading too much into this. Anyone can be an entrepreneur, it doesn't matter about money, situation, class, status, age or upbringing really. They might impact upon the likelihood, but I firmly believe everyone has a chance.

Blitz, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  16. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

dcristo, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  17. lilylidou

lilylidou Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm agree with you.

lilylidou, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  18. Hannah

Hannah Guest

Best Answers:
    In my 4th year entrepreneurship class we have just covered how government policies and social programs (or specifically, lack of) force people to become entrepreneurs.

Look at countries like Singapore where there aren't as many social programs as here. They have a much more entrepreneurial culture than we do, simply because some people don't have any other choice.

Hannah, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  19. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone can learn the mechanics of being an entrepreneur. Not everyone has it in them to to be successful however, and the drive, passion, and personality type are more often natural than made (with some exceptions). A lot of people think anyone can be an entrepreneur, so they give it a go. Then again, that's probably a big contributing point to the fact that most of them fail within the first year or so.

jhmattern, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  20. melbel

melbel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As authoritarian as this sounds, I really think that it's just something that you've got to just have. I don't think it's something that can be just learned... you've just got to have a certain personality type. That being said, I think that some people with the personality do lack the tools... such as the money to further themselves in it.

melbel, Sep 13, 2007 IP