1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Text-only versus Text+image ads? Which ones are better?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Game Producer, Sep 13, 2007.

I tried searching discussion regarding text-only versus showing text+image ads. I'm sure I could test this, but I believe if there's not a big difference then I cannot be absolutely sure which one is higher paying.

Has anybody conducted a throughout test to see which ads perform better? My site is text-intensive, and would be interested to know.

Google recommends having also images, but Joel Comm's Adsense Code says not to display them.

So... should there be ads that show images or not? If you have experience on this, please share.

Game Producer, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    common sense

if CTR images occur on the MOST successful format - the 336x280 - then that advertiser has to bid at least 1 cent more than all for text advertisers are bidding together for that particular spot.

hence of course a full text ad - or even a video ad - pays more than a single text ad.

the opposite
    image ONLY of course produces the opposit
    if NO advertiser has an image ad for the space and a webmaster configures image only - then a image CTR advertiser may get a full image for as low as 1 cent or so ... because he may find NO competitor bidding against him.

hans, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  3. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Uh.... what are click-through rate images?

Yeh... but what about CTR? Images clicked more often than text?

No plans to use image-only... but I believe you are suggesting text+images, and saying that they would perform better than text only?

4. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Images for me have always had POOR CTR. Besides that they usually pay 0.01-0.03 (which is even lower then text ads!)

I have also found most image ads a CPM (cost per thousand impressions) and pay horribly.

I would go for text. That is my default setting and I haven't used images in well over a year now.

FanAddict, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  5. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup. It's no big secret that image ads are teh suck.

heinlein99, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  6. Creep

Creep Peon

Best Answers:
    Text ads pay better and give the reader more choices.

I like to make the top 2 ad blocks on my page "text only" and the 3rd block is text_image.

Creep, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  7. crush25

crush25 Peon

Best Answers:
    So it is much better to have text ads rather than text ads and image?. Actually I am very new to adsense so I thought having a text ads and image ads is much more profitable than text ads.

crush25, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  8. LumarMarketing

LumarMarketing Guest

Best Answers:
    For me, text ads have produced the highest CTR on my sites. I've never had much luck with the image ads.

LumarMarketing, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  9. LumarMarketing

LumarMarketing Guest

Best Answers:
    Great tips for the newbie trying out Adsense. Thanks for sharing :)

LumarMarketing, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  10. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    image ads suck.

in order to get rid of 'em, you'll have to make sure that every ad block is text-only.

also consider telling adsense that you don't want any site-targeted cpm ads.

danimal, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  11. Taiwan

Taiwan Peon

Best Answers:
    Image ads are usually ugly, and if they don't happen to be on target for your site then it just looks like garbage....

Taiwan, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  12. birdsq

birdsq Peon

Best Answers:
    I use one text-only 728*90 and another image 728*90 on the same page..
    What are your suggestions?

birdsq, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  13. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think text only works better but maybe you should leave the option open of having image ads also.

qwestcommunications, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  14. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

if you EXCLUDE text ads and limit ONLY image ads - then of course you have the lowest eCPM possible - reason see below post

otherwise my image ads on a fully adsense optimized site always pay excellent - free competition IMPOSSIBLE that an advertiser pays less for image ads than for text ads UNLESS you limt to image ads ONLY

but in addition of course the eCPM depends on the quality of your site - on the market you appeal to - cheap keywords=low $
    quality high end topics = high $

as an average i have 2 digits CTR and eCPM
    on a site with ALL free competition fully enabled > text plus image plus site advertisers
    and all ads given TOP placements and only the 3 ( three ) most successful formats as published by G

birdsq
    my recommendation:
    use one or all or the 3 most successful formats -- see G adsense pages for details, they always are published and updated when changes occur

on wrong formats you may have LESS competing advertisers and hence lower eCPM - of course by far NOT every advertisers bids on all formats - that very specially is valid for video or image advertisers

for full details
    many months ago we had a most detailed and extensive thread ( or 2 nearly simultaneously ) about all details - formats/colors/placements
    from search will help

hans, Sep 13, 2007 IP
    birdsq likes this.
  15. tattoobit

tattoobit Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. You have to monitor your ads to see if image ads are showing at all with both options enabled. Remember, you will need the image option enabled for video ads which pay a lot better. I've had good luck with the video ads as they have a better pay rate than my text ones.

tattoobit, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  16. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    wrong.

just about everyone in this thread has recommended against image ads, because they do NOT pay better than text ads.

one image ad that is off-target, or has bad geotargeting, will eliminate the entire ad block from any potential revenue... but one text ad that's bad still leaves other, more relevant, text ads in the block that can be clicked on.

i have several months worth of heavy channel data that proves it... google is not capable of serving up relevant image ads that pay well, in any of the sectors that i'm in.

danimal, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  17. denimsakura

denimsakura Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, nice reply

denimsakura, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  18. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm... true.

The end conclusion from this debate: test it.