1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Serious Copyright Infrigement! Someone copied my site!! URGENT

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by popiul99, Aug 26, 2007.

1. grungemedia

grungemedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Find his sites IP or IP's and block it directly through .htaccess. :)

Simply DENY!

grungemedia, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  2. mark123456

mark123456 Peon

Best Answers:
    no, he could just use a proxy or another computer to get to it. also, is it copyright infringement if one uses someone elses HTML to learn how to do something but doesn't copy the exact look?

mark123456, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  3. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that this specific topic has been addressed in US court, but given the decisions on inline linking (framing), I think it would be found to be infringement.

bluegrass special, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  4. Mr Goldwing

Mr Goldwing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just resolved the same problem I had with someone else. He decided to take the site down. Dont give up !!!

Mr Goldwing, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  5. scriptman

scriptman Peon

Best Answers:
    Regarding the crook's method, It appears he ran a website archiver / "offline browser" and saved all the final pages to disk. As you can see they all end in .html or .htm file extensions. In fact, one part of the forum actually has the PHPSESSID as part of the page filename!

He isn't "Live proxying" your site, rather he saved it all in one shot and uploaded it. Notice how the forum registration page redirects back to the real website. Also, modify a URL so it points to a non-existant file. You will get some gibberish that is chinese for "page not found" (googled it), however entering some URLS not within the first subdirectory, you'll get a 404 page that looks like the IE 6 browser standard error.

Strange stuff...

scriptman, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  6. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    mark -
    Rereading your question, what you asked is not copyright infringement. HTML code is not copyrightable. Some javascript might be patented, but plain HTML would not be. Copyight would only apply to the content of the site. As long as you weren't taking actual content then you will generally be fine.

bluegrass special, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  7. popiul99

popiul99 Peon

Best Answers:
    I`m changind designs next week anyway, however I do not want this user to use my previous design. It's still MY design, my logo, my content! I have th right to take him down ... hopefully I`ll get a respons from his host soon! They`re taking their sweet a** time with this ...

popiul99, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  8. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The site is still up.

soniqhost.com, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  9. Dollar

Dollar Active Member

Best Answers:
    omg,lmao...
    hmmm.. I don't think he has 'access" to your design files he just cleverly photoshoped parts of it here and there. Probably used a web crawer bot and ripped your entire site and then edited it up. And his 'banner ad' is fake.
    How could you not notice someone ripping your entire site? didn't you see your bandwidth sky rocket

Dollar, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  10. popiul99

popiul99 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know he used photoshop to change some parts here and there .. and we all assume now that he used some web crawler bot to rip the entire site.

No I didnt see my bandwith skyrocket since it's quite common on my site. One day we hit a big story and our hits climb over 30k uniques a day. I guess I`ll have to be more careful!

popiul99, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  11. WebTalkVB

WebTalkVB Peon

Best Answers:
    I would personally work out his traffic to a rough estimate, and work out how much money on average I would make off that traffic margin. I would get in touch with a lawyer and get him properly shut down, and claim from him to get potential profit loss.

I don't fully know how these things work, but you could ring a laywer directly and ask them the process, most will be happy to simply tell you what sort of case you have, and the chance of winning.

WebTalkVB, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  12. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    ruven, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  13. ruven

ruven Peon

Best Answers:
    CustomCMS can be found on any warez site, its been nulled.
    So most likely if this guy is ripping this dudes designs, he is also not paying for the CMS.

ruven, Sep 11, 2007 IP