1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating a REAL VALUE free directory list, dare to join ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by kiviniar, Sep 11, 2007.

Now with pratically 100's of Free Directory Lists out there, what could I possibily mean by a REAL VALUE free directory list ?

Ok, to even get you thinking in that direction let me ask you a question.

What makes your time a big waste with free directory submissions ?

I practically submit to a few thousand free web directories on a monthly basis and there is this one thing that bother me the most.

The fact that my link will never be reviewed in a few hundred of those. Yes, its a fact that in some directories the free link submit is a farce.

People want the free submision traffic and the backlinks from the hundred of free web directory lists, but never are a free web directory in real sense.

They use the free submit option as a means to get free traffic and PR and pick up a few paid submissions along the way.

Also, as I undertake directory submission work for a few client every month, I wanted to create a REAL VALUE free directory list that would justify their money and my time spent on such submissions.

So here I am.

This list will exclusively contain web directories that REALLY Review and Add QUALITY free submission to their directory index.

This directory list would be split in two parts as such:

1. Directories reviewing within 10 days of submission

2. Directories reviewing within 10 - 30 days of submission

So if you are a free web directory owner who really reviews free submissions and with speed. Please post your web directories for inclusion on this list.

Trust me, we will soon have a cult following.

p.s. I am personally going to verify your claims of a quick review as i always have a few client sites in my kitty to submit too. NO FAKE CLAIMS PLEASE

Please post below to let me add your directories to this list in this format

This list would be made here and would be promoted as soon as i have a few decent verified numbers:

http://www.directorytrials.com/creating-a-real-value-free-directory-list-dare-to-join/

kiviniar, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    enQuira and mann3r like this.
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Could you add a third option as I am coming out with one that is "there is no specific time frame" of when it's going to be approved as every submission would be checked.

thanks

popotalk, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  3. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so here is my free web directory: http://goodwebdirectory.com/
    review in 10 days time, usually lot faster than that!

but then i don't accept just another link, only quality sites are accepted, also i don't like bot submissions, if you are going to submit it manually then i will be happy to join your list!
    regards,
    Uttoransen:)

uttoransen, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Jude,

The only problem for me would be to check their claims, for those kinds we already have a free hundred free web directory list out there.

If you notice, none of my own free directories make the cut

Not looking at numbers, just a little value add is my goal.

I have clients paying big bucks for directory submissions and personally it pains my heart to be submitting to some useless directories.

5. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for getting the list started and well i also mean review time

Please note that this directory list is not just for me, but hundreds of people doing free directory submissions. :)

The only tool i use is roboform, that the most automated i can get

There are pratically thousand of free web directories out there and if i can even get a fifty or a hundred at the most, I will be more than happy with my effort

6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhh. Ok. But I have one coming out that is totally free and absolutely no payment for a listing just if someone has a quality site to add then it can be added. Its not a DMOZ standard review though but more of an acceptable standard rather than the all acceptance mode that most free directories have.

Thanks

popotalk, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  7. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let me know once that is up, will give u a free review on my blog..

You ooze quality and i will second that

8. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    good luck kiv, looking forward to that list so I can start submitting some of my sites to select free directories. I usually avoid them.

enQuira, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.
  9. andreas21

andreas21 Peon

Best Answers:
    andreas21, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.
  10. guidyy

guidyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    My directory is quite new and I do not have a lot of traffic, so I usually review in 24/48 hours. I don't know what gonna happen if the site's traffic skyrockets, but I suppose 10 days are fine to me.
    Major problem is the huge amount of MFA/scam/makemoneyfast/BS sites usually submitted in free directories. They are really a waste of time.
    http://dir.guidyy.com

guidyy, Sep 11, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.
  11. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestion andreas21 :)

Could you fix a time line as i would need to categorize it

1. Directories reviewing within 10 days of submission

2. Directories reviewing within 10 - 30 days of submission

Thanks guidyy, will add it

mhamdi dude thanks for the support

12. andreas21

andreas21 Peon

Best Answers:
    you can add it in directories reviewing within 10 days of submission

Cheers

andreas21, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  13. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    the problem with this list is that because of the traffic you will generate, review time of submissions will probably go up. :p

121603, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  14. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I usually manage to review in 10 days. Sometimes, it may take shorter or longer.

But I usually don't like "submitters" who use a submission tool to dump links. They tend to pick wrong categories with poor description. I would like to get decent sites or quality sites for sure, but auto-submissions are usually turn-off for me.

coolsitez, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  15. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with coolsitez, there are times when it really takes longer. And sometimes I don't want to deny websites because they are in the wrong category so I would have to manually find the correct category and that adds up to the time..

121603, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  16. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a good point but we do have a few directories that have been able to maintain a 30 day review period. I guess a 30 days review period is a healthy flexibility.

For the rest, we always have the other popular directory lists

I guess you are more patient that me, i hit the delete button without a second thought

Totally agree

kiviniar, Sep 12, 2007 IP
  17. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I get well over 90% of submissions reviewed within that time frame. But once in a while a site will come along that nearly makes the cut, but not quite, and I'll give it a few weeks more or so to stew on the pending list. Usually this is because it's a forum or blog that could do with more content.

However, I don't know how you can test this accurately, because not all directories send out rejection emails. I only send them out when there's a specific single reason that a website is rejected, such as "insufficient contact details". Off-topic submissions (the majority) don't get a rejection email at all.

If you want to test this objectively, you will need to submit two or three sites you're not affiliated with. This is so you can say in an unbiased way "this is a good resource". We all think our own websites are fantastic, that's just the human condition. Try different categories such as a charity, a small business and an academic information website, and report the results. You could even submit one junk website, to test out editorial standards. It would make very useful reading.

Obelia, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  18. ltjman22

ltjman22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This sounds like a great idea. I might have a couple to ad to the list. I am not a directory owner, but like others, I submit on a regular basis. Stand by for some of my recomendations. Hopefully you will get a list of over a hundred, it would become a standard list for me, that's for sure!

ltjman22, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  19. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Certainly, knowing that a submission will actually be reviewed/processed is important. If the directory is free, I personally don't fret about the timeframe. Directories don't scale well and I understand that. Once a free directory becomes popular, the editor is going to develop a backlog. Unless the directory has a volunteer editor system, it's not going to be able to keep up over the long haul.

But, to answer your original question with a slightly different take, I would expect a "REAL VALUE free directory list" to include directories that:
    • Have a strong categorization - breaking down broad topics into sub-topics whenever there are 4-5 sites listed that could justify it. Also, categories defined by subject and not type of site (ie. forums, blogs, etc.).
    • Offer some editorial rating/commentary on listings. This could include editor written descriptions.
    • Exhibit signs that they aren't amatuers or QBC. Is it a serious directory that's going to be around for a while? Does it have contact info/about us info, privacy policy, TOS, submission guidelines, etc.?

Bernard, Oct 15, 2007 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't know if you are still collecting, but both of my directories would fit in the under 10 days category. Like Obelia mentioned, I too will sometimes leave a marginal site in the queue to see if anything changes or I get generous and fix the problems myself - assuming the problem is related to the submission. And I don't bother sending rejections to idiots who seem to think an SEO, enhancement pills, or florist site belong in a directory about crafts or pets.

www.craftytips.com is my larger directory and an on-topic, quality submission that conforms to guidelines (putting the description or list of keywords for a tip will cause instant deletion) rarely lingers in the queue more than about 36 hours

www.petsiteguides.com may take longer to get reviewed, but also is under the 10 day window; again there are a few marginal sites lingering in the queue, quality gets quickly accepted

Keep in mind these are both niche sites and I don't care how great a site is, if it is outside the niche it's out.

YMC, Oct 15, 2007 IP