1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jagger update is over!

Discussion in 'Google' started by NetMidWest, Nov 16, 2005.

Looks like the results have propogated to over half of the datacenters as of tonight... http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=439423&postcount=127

It's finally over. I got a boost on some of my targeted keywords, but lost out big on a few that I thought I would do better on. I still see a few spammy sites, and a few that really have me questioning the logic behind having the sites rank (php.net for web hosting paypal :confused: )

Overall, I guess I am happy with it, but more happy it seems to be over (barring a rollback...)

How did you come out on this?

NetMidWest, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If there is still 50% of the datacenters not showing the updated results how can you say it is over?

fryman, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    I hope that what we see now isn't the fixed version! My site that was #6 for 'Nintendo' is gone!!!!!

Nintendo, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  4. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Infiniterb, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  5. NightVis

NightVis Peon

Best Answers:
    My #8 for "Online Pharmacy" was eliminated.

I got Scroogled.

The Oligarchy strikes again. Long live drugstore.com!

NightVis, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    fryman, Nov 16, 2005 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  7. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Muahahaha

and replaced by aspen's nintendo site.

aeiouy, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  8. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Meh, I'd rather just keep tabs on her thread. It has a lot more history and analysis instead of "OMG, I don't rank for term X anymore" or "Jagger must be over because only a few DCs are sync'd" :)

Infiniterb, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  9. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I got 50% by the Google Datacenter Watch Tool. But looking at my scratch paper count...
    OOPS. My apologies.
    But recounting, it has gained two since... it is going over half very soon. This is the furthest it has been, and is not stopping.

And I follow Caryl and have been using her tools for quite some time... one of the few posters I will actually look up what the latest posts were...

Back on where everybody ended up...

The pagerank on my site seems to still be screwy, if you look at http://www.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Hosting/N/ I have what seems to be a 6... I am surrounded by sites with PR6... but I have a 5. Perhaps this is rounding, but check out the second page of my web designer listings. I had hoped when this was all over, that would be straightened out... and mine is not the only site affected.

10. antithesis_98

antithesis_98 Peon

Best Answers:
    No real loss for me overall, but my treasured #2 for Arsenal blog is now #12.

For God's sake how can Instapundit be top ten for 'Arsenal blog'. I know it's a juggernauth of a site but surely some sense needs to be applied. No one is searching arsenal blog for politics or weaponery, they are searching for information and opinions on the Arsenal football team.

antithesis_98, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  11. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Ack!! :mad: Which site is that??!! :mad: It looks like mostly Official sites now!

Nintendo, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  12. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I don't know what the heck happened. blazemp.com is fine. Really not a significant change there. Traffic is down, but it seems that all my target key phrases are at about the same positions. BUT, autoimager.com and mystikmedia.com got dropped for all the targetted key phrases (except one on mystikmedia.com).

mystikmedia, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  13. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I am seeing similar sites on searches... from my original post, the thing I see for php.net concerning 'web hosting paypal' was a mention of web hosting, paypal, and a link out to php.net in a forum. Maybe some blog linked out to the site, mentioning building an arsenal...

There is (perhaps was...) a piece of the algorhythm that made a choice between listing a site linked to vs. the site that is linking out... this is what made the 302 redirect bug a hijack, a dirty trick. Google would devalue the original page in most instances as duplicate content, then list the site that had the redirect link. I had seen examples of pages with normal text anchor links out to poor sites getting the vote... but it is less obvious, and less clear it was truly happening.

I am now wondering if something changed in this bit of the algo, or if it was dropped. It seemed as though PR was the deciding factor, but several examples were available that showed that was not it. I am still curious as to what that factor is...

14. antithesis_98

antithesis_98 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if that's a bad thing; using PR as a sledgehammer.:eek:

If you have earned a high PR rating over years of quality material, perhaps it is your right to be placed in the top ten for the odd unrelated query.

antithesis_98, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  15. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is, the forum php.net was linked from is probably more relevant to the search term. The decision was not always a bad thing.

NetMidWest, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  16. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It isn't over in my book. On more competitive phrases there is still flux and disconnection on the dcs.

On less competitive phrases it appears to have settled in with agreement on the dcs.
    Still more to be revealed.

Dave

earlpearl, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  17. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    I honestly think that Jagger 3 isn't going so good for G and in the next few weeks maybe we will see a total new index with the fixes in place however the way this is going it may not be fixed until after the first of the year. I am just speculating of course however I will add that I am not basing this on my own site but more on the fact that alot of people are still bouncing all over the place.

Barre Tire, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  18. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with Barre Tire.....today the traffic on all of my sites is back up...in fact traffic on some of my sites has jumped to nearly double what it was earlier in the week....:confused:

Cyclops, Nov 18, 2005 IP
    sGroup likes this.
  19. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    I wish that were the case for me. Mine just keeps dropping.

mystikmedia, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  20. badjimmy

badjimmy Guest

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with cyclops, Although my site is somewhat new, but still traffic seems to going up today

badjimmy, Nov 18, 2005 IP