1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's 'top spot for sale' - Google goes to court.

Discussion in 'Google' started by grantmoney, Sep 10, 2007.

This could become interesting :)

The story is here

grantmoney, Sep 10, 2007 IP
    silencer likes this.
  2. dturnbull

dturnbull Guest

Best Answers:
    Man, that is a load of bull.

The article makes you think they're selling the #1 spot etc. But they're actually talking about making the sponsored results not differentiated enough from the organic results.

"The consumer watchdog alleges Google does not do enough to differentiate "organic" search results - those ranked by relevance - from sponsored links which appear at the top of the results page."

Just sounds like stupid bitchin' to me. Google hasn't done anything wrong. They're basically being sued because retards can't read the writing that says "Sponsored Links".

dturnbull, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  3. ExpertForumGuy

ExpertForumGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wanna sue google.

It'll be like:
    Chris Knight [not my real name] has filed a lawsuit against Google, because nobody knows WTF is going on.

due to the tremendous amount of confusion, Chris has went completely insane from Google's search engine ranking randomness. So we believe that Chris deserves a google sponsored vacation to the Bahamas, plus 30,000 dollars given to him solely dedicated to adwords.

ExpertForumGuy, Sep 10, 2007 IP
    r3born likes this.
  4. Nora

Nora Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even if that did happen (which I doubt).. would they really be able to sue Google? Its their website.. on directories people also place paying sites on top.. why should Google be any different?

Nora, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  5. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) has bunch of noobs. They expect google to run Google.com as Non-profit organisation and still able to list on NYSE with $500+ stock value and pay shareholders dividends every year.

They prolly need to hire ME before filing that case.

According to Google TOS,

Someone wake up thos idiots! lol

godmode, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  6. Thogek

Thogek Guest

Best Answers:
    I suppose that if McDonalds can be sued over one American's inability/unwillingness to consider the typical heat of a cup of coffee in managing her drive past the order window, Google can also be sued for failing to providing a free service absent of full support for mentally lazy private individuals to avoid any need or responsibility to employ basic thought.

In order to make such a lawsuit stick, do the defendants have to demonstrate that they themselves are so mentally deficient as to claim to be victims of disability dicrimination? ("They won't cater to my lazy-brained stupidity, so I'm suin'!")

:(

Thogek, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  7. webengtech

webengtech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I too want to sue Google.. just because they have so much money and I want some of it.

webengtech, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  8. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I agree that the sponsored listing are not differentiated enough. For a while they had no coloured background and i didn't notice they were ads at first!

Notting, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  9. Dylan Tovey

Dylan Tovey Peon

Best Answers:
    The ACCC got rapped over the knuckles for this case in the court's this week - the court is making them write out summaries of all their arguments and submissions because they say that they are so repetitive and opaque that they simply do not understand what they are on about.

Dylan

Dylan Tovey, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  10. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually it is not very visible.
    On my wide screen monitor it is all the way to the right and on LCD the color difference is barely visible.

Velocity, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  11. sitefever

sitefever Banned

Best Answers:
    Who cares if they label sponsored listings in bright yellow or if they don't label them at all? Google owns Google.... if you don't like it, use another search engine.

Would you like someone sueing you because they can't figure out which of your blog posts are paid reviews and which ones aren't? If it's your site you should be able to do whatever you want!

sitefever, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  12. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Fail right there, they are not rankings. Also it's not discrimination as anyone has a chance at paying for the Sponsored Ad and being featured there.

sweetfunny, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  13. godmode

Best Answers:
    Thats what i said, they need a LAWYER like me instead hiring bunch of idiots who forgot to read Google TOS (check my post above):p:D

no wonder they got screwed, i already predicted that

godmode, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  14. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If there is money to be made, people will sue and google has money. When youtube was owned by its founders who had little or no money no one sued them for hosting copyrighted videos but once google bought them Viacom comes around with a Billion dollar lawsuit. You'll see google getting sued more often as it becomes more successful and profitable.

soniqhost.com, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  15. Zanswer

Zanswer Peon

Best Answers:
    I never heard of ACCC before, but now I do. Is this on Marketing 101?

Zanswer, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  16. godmode

Best Answers:
    That was the whole motive behind suing google. Get free pubiclity. Now a days any idiot can start a blog accuse google for anything he likes, get links to his blog. Its so easy these days!:D

godmode, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  17. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They're pretty well know in Australia when it comes to broadband issues. They're usually responsible for keeping Telstra in-line when it comes to their pricing for third party broadband suppliers.

I don't think they stand a chance, but who knows. If they do manage to make some headway, it can only lead to a positive outcome. With the recent vertical search stuff, how long until a majority of the top 10 positions point towards Google sites (maps/news/books/etc).

grantmoney, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  18. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    >they are rankings to a certain extent, since googles 'quality score' dealy comes into play, right?

simey, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  19. kkeiith

kkeiith Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently came across CPC text advertising on 123greetings.com, called Sponsored Links.
    Advertising is quite simple here as there are no keywords to target, just select your target audience from the card categories. Their Birthday section worked for my clients with retail business.
    As a leader in ecard business, this site enjoys a huge traffic. With the shopping season ahead, bids on Google would go north. I guess new CPC text advertising options like in 123greetings is a better option to reach targeted audiences on festive occasions.

kkeiith, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  20. Muneeb2Good

Muneeb2Good Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats an interesting story from Australia indeed, Considering that Google doesn't always display paid links above organic search results even when paid links exist might be causing confusion. Google has a separate algorithm for determining which, if any, of the paid links are eligible to be displayed above the organic search results. Since Google will now be generating more revenue from these top spots, this case will be interesting to follow.

Muneeb2Good, Sep 11, 2007 IP