1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's official Google has opened up a can of whoop ass on directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    This is just what we already know.

He avoided answering your question. This proves ZILCH.

We do know that Google reserves the right to take action against those that violate their "Webmaster Guidelines".

Once again you are reading into answers what YOU WANT TO HEAR - not the facts.

Algo error??????????? :rolleyes:

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Whatever happens its been a major wake up call and cause for deep concern. But hopefully we have a clearer picture on what constitutes a quality site.
    Do you really believe this is all over and that you going to pick up where you left off? Did no one hear Matt suppressing a snigger of his own?

workshop, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  3. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds good. Thanks for that.

But I probably will lose my bet if it doesn't get fixed up by Sunday.

Either way I am still submitting to directories. Backlinks have been helping me.

acuman, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just because he avoided the question does not proove your point.

He has mentioned before that JohnChow lost his rankings for trying to cheat the system, but he did not say anything here.

www.beacon-directory.com

Lance owns beacon directory, its around 2 weeks old. Lance has not bought any paid links and he lost his rankings. Or you gonna tell me google punished a 2 week old site for "cheating the system"

mikey1090, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  5. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Would you like some new sand to put in your box :p

Jeez

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  6. LanceT22

LanceT22 Peon

Best Answers:

I just want to clarify a couple of things (before the flames start)
    1) My directory is a little over 3 weeks old.
    2) I have spent money advertising on several of the big bidding directories as well as many Paid directories.
    3) I can't tell if I have been affected or not. If someone can show me how to tell specifically I would appreciate it. I am not aware that I ever have ranked for anything.
    4) Google WebMaster Tools shows that my site hasn't been cached since Aug 22, but I get visits from googlebot every day..

:)

Lance

Guess I was too late.. :(
    Can't we have a "grown-up" discussion about an issue that may or may not be affecting all of us at some point? Or is just getting a bunch of posts in more important?

LanceT22, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  7. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Could not find any better way to increase your post count here? :rolleyes:

maldives, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    LanceT22 likes this.
  8. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm not here to promote myself, increase my post count or anything along those lines.

I fly "under the radar" at all times, everywhere on the net - not just here :)

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You make no sense and will not last long around here unless you back up your statements with valid arguments and proof.

10. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess that is aimed at me - but not sure, as your post was vague - what valid arguments and proof would you like - and on what subject?

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    pointless posts...

12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    @Wealdie - Take 2 Ritalin and try posting again in the morning. ;)

compostannie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    maldives, Qryztufre and pipes like this.
  13. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes that WAS a pointless post. (the echo was trez cool though)

Again - pick on me - what do you want?

Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True. Most of the people are misguided really that some even would go as far as wiping someones behind just to have that bulk submission. That is a bad conception. If a client submits a link and another submits links they have to treat them fair and square because they are both clients.

I hope too Jay and I am staying in this industry no matter what happens. I am wondering too where are they now ? Not only Alive and Aviva but all of them. Truthfully they are the Authority Sites, Industry Leaders, The Georgeous but like everyone else they are busy protecting their investments and just let us all have our good time. BOTW, SITE SIFT V7N all of them their not leaders I guess they are users that would not even help you out in times like this. Worry about our own I guess as they are established.

Don't worry they are reading this thread and have a rough idea of the chaos that is going on.

I hope this becomes true. But I bet ya they will still find a way.
    MAYBE and as long as some don't manipulate the system then I think it is just but fair.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  15. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    NRLMedia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice one Nick and I certainly whoop some of those;). You can check it out yourself and its still there. :p

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  17. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know a lot of the big players have not really said much and I think this is because there is so much overreacting by some of the people in this thread. A smart business person will always seek as much information as possible before replying or getting involved in controversy.

Knowledge is power and if you just jump into a thread and get all excited and crazy about all the accusations and innuendo that is being thrown about you will become part of the problem, 'feeding the flames' so-to-speak. If and when there is a full explanation by gooogle on what is going on I fully expect to see all the top directory owners put forth an outline of their plan on dealing with it.

But until there is more information I don't think it is reasonable to expect any of these folks to argue and/or speculate because it is a waste of time and energy, especially if it turns out to be just a 'blip'.

Matt Cutts has not been shy in the past about pointing fingers at those he wants to make examples of and I think if something 'big' was going on he would have spoken up already.

jg123, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  18. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Wealdie, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah its just a GLITCH is that it. Dude I am not an officer in the military but if the situation comes that my officer left me out in the desert I will make sure I'll shoot him in the head when I survive or might be Donald Trump is always on top of things whenever there is crisis. George Bush is not popular but he is running the US. In Capitol Hill they are still leading their constituents. Damn give me a break here and the least you can do is just say something that as much as possible we are contacting the right channels to have more information.

popotalk, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  20. NRLMedia

NRLMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    How significant have the effects of this change been on traffic for these directories?

Does anyone have numbers? 10's? 100's? 1,000's? 10,000's?

Is it really that significant?

Personally, I've never searched for "web directory" in Google nor have I searched for the name of the directory because I already know the domain name. Most webmasters follow advice from other webmasters on what directories to submit to, stay away from, etc. It's more social networking then searching from my experience.

NRLMedia, Sep 6, 2007 IP