1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do i need permissions to have feeds from other directories displayed on my site?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by paidhosting, Sep 4, 2007.

paidhosting, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. tolra

tolra Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends, sometimes a site will state their feeds can't be used for commercial purposes therefore you can use them on your personal site but not your business site without additional permission.

I'd check the source sites terms before using the feed or ask them directly.

tolra, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  3. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes you do simple as, if they are someone elses' feeds they are someone else's property, the fair usage policy doesn't apply.

The Pheonix, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  4. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as you:
    - don't modify the content (keep the links back to the original site)
    - display only a summary of the article
    you don't need any permission. All blog aggregators do that and rss (syndication) is one way to syndicate content to other sites.
    For the feed you are using:
    - Google Blog Search
    - Technorati
    - enQuira roll

enQuira, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  5. speda1

speda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should'nt syndicate content you don't want published elsewhere. It will be scraped eventually...guaranteed.

speda1, Sep 5, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix likes this.
  6. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't recommend the idea since it may take your posts/section into supplementary.

Also moreover you must obtain permission from the directory/blog owner from whom feeds are being pulled since afterall in this community one must respect each other, others sites and content. :)

humm, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  7. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, so according to Mhamdi i can use them, cause i do not see why someone even has a feed on their site if they do not want others to share the information around ?

But anyways @phoenix, i totally did it understand ur post.

@humm, google gonaa put pages into supplementary why ?

paidhosting, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you can add my feed if you wish:)

mikey1090, Sep 5, 2007 IP
    paidhosting likes this.
  9. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes sir cool, thanks ;)

10. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    our friend phoenix always looks at the worst case scenerio first..

while he claims that its to keep pages cached and some sort of seo trick the fact of the matter is that rss feeds are a source of untapped traffic as well as have been on websites and blogs for years now and show the newest info associated with that category which may interest surfers.
    Note: automotive

Something many of you dont know is that google aquired "feedburner" not to long ago and google doesnt throw money out off windows on technology and im sure they and will be working to further its advancemant as we also we be.

when finding feeds to add make sure that you read the notice they may have as to thier content some allow some dont...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Sir Malcom,
    That would be hard to find most just have a small copyright @ their domain at footer, but no one talks about if others can use their feeds, which gives me idea to have a terms page regarding if someone can use feeds off my site or not :). But what if someone does not than how to proceed ?:confused:

12. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    when i was searching for feeds i ran across several that said you cannot reproduce our content without prior approval.

when i seen that i left as i didnt want any hassles no matter how good thier feeds where.

If thiers no notice then evidently they dont mind you sending them traffic or vice versa.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you will have any problems using any RSS feeds, that is pretty much what they are there for. Realistically the worst case is that they will contact you and ask you to remove it, then you should.

jg123, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  14. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Kool Will Do;)

15. bfarrell

bfarrell Guest

Best Answers:
    Most sites will state that to use their feeds is ok or not without their permission. At one time I had a commecial blog that pulled several hundred feeds and only had a problem with one individual who never stated not to use his feeds, nor did he state you could use his feed. He complained and we removed it.

The whole point of rss is to get your content out there. Most will want you to use thier feed for the extra exposure. Just ask if not clear. Most will want the exposure- why else have rss? The ones that do not, just do not use them.

Be sure to lay out your feeds very descriptively, categorically and in a nav for best indexing.

Also the general rule is to post the title and a short snippet ended with the referring link. A teaser if you will. If you post the entire article, that will tick people off.

bfarrell, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Check the feeds : http://www.webdirectoryreviews.com/category/directory-feeds/ , i think thats ok not entire articles etc are extracted, plus i got permission from chris and chetan :p

17. bfarrell

bfarrell Guest

Best Answers:
    As for the page itself, very nice. Just make sure the casual visitor knows to click the link.

I visited your home page, did not see the feeds listed there at all. Not suggesting they should take away from your main content. But to captilize on rss feeds, you need to have the titles in the menu.

Not an expert on this, but what worked for me and worked well, category titled RSS News, then subcats under it listing the top x number of headlines. Click a link and go to my page for those headlines, click the authors link and go to the actual site. This way you have top level indexing for the title, top level eye appeal to human visitor.

I used a basic Drupal site in subfolder of the main site and was quite floored with the results. That was a few years ago, rss was peaking a bit more then than now with the bots. Still though is great bot bait, gets you indexed.

bfarrell, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  18. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, i wld think that if i site allowed its feeds to be syndicated, it must expect that it can be published. That is one of the main uses of RSS feeds apart from personal viewing. I wld think that this was an assumed case.....

jl255, Sep 5, 2007 IP
  19. grandaddy

grandaddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a good example of what you are questioning. Just be sure that if a website does have terms for their rss feed that you respect them. You'll notice that by New York Times terms of use, you can use them in a non-commercial use, as an example.

grandaddy, Sep 6, 2007 IP