1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you deal with urls that use tracking when it comes to duplicate content

Discussion in 'Google' started by john269, Sep 3, 2007.

Hi,

I have a normal site that has not tracking in the urls. I have decided that I would like to add tracking in the urls so in other woulds I would be producing a clone of my site and then using something like instead of domainname.com I would use domainname.com?id=stumbleupon

I will only use that on the landing page and then all of the links on the landing page will end up going to the normal pages of my site like domainname.com/edu/1.html.

The thing that I want to do is to do it so that I can chose any page to be the landing page of my site.

Now when it comes to the domainname.com?id=stumbleupon that is going to be the same content as the homepage that's listed in Google. Would this make there be 2 copies of my sites page's or will it not index the pages with stumbleupon in as my site doesn't actually link to that url. If it will index them, then I could just use a robot file.

Now the next thing is backlinks. What about if people link to the url with stumbleupon in, what would happen to the PR?

Hope you understand what I mean here.

Thanks!

john269, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  2. lovekills_s

lovekills_s Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there..!

As far as the page is crawlable and Indexable by the cralwers, YES, it will be read as an duplicate entry for your homepage.

Actually, Links are a thing that cant be controlled, people can link to it, infact some times text or reference can bring the cralwer to the site now a days, coz those are interlinked somewhere through a single link..

Hence, it has got pretty much chances of it being cralwed..

PR is allotted to the URL not to a page..

You can establish a single page on multiple domains, the PR only gets passed to the URL..

The URL for which links have been build only gets PR juice, not your original homepage..

If that was possible, I would have copied domainname.com?id=google.com and hey I am PR-10 :D

your original homepage and the landing page URL will be considered as 2 diff URL's and will compete against each other in SERPS, Also duplicate entries will be detected..

Hope that Helps..
    Regards
    LKS

lovekills_s, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    john269 likes this.
  3. speda1

speda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could rewrite the URL or exclude the tracking URL's with robots.txt

speda1, Sep 4, 2007 IP
    john269 likes this.
  4. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A robots.txt file is what has been decide. That's probably the better option.

john269, Sep 7, 2007 IP