1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Nofollow / Dofollow

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wyattt, Sep 1, 2007.

I'm in the process of building a Wordpress blog at the moment, and have some questions about comments and nofollow and dofollow.

In your opinion, what is better for SEO (for your blog), dofollow comments or nofollow comments?

Do the biggest blogs on the internet usually have nofollow or dofollow?

Are wordpress blogs automatically dofollow or nofollow?

Thank you!

wyattt, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  2. Malok

Malok Peon

Best Answers:
    Do follow comments can create activity/interest from other persons - and they may be more likely to post/link back to your site on their own if they find something of relevance.

I believe most wordpress blogs are nofollow be default. There are some plugins floating around that enable to dofollow automatically (or you can go in and edit the code yourself).

Malok, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  3. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nofollow is automatically applied to comments in WP unless you install the "Do-follow" plug-in to remove it. Posts are dofollow by default, unless you change it.
    Using nofollow is a personal decision. I remove it, because I like to offer link opportunities to commenters. Some like to use it to retain link popularity to the page, which may or may not be a priority for you. I prefer to moderate comments well and reward good commentators and trackbacks with a link.

amanamission, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  4. mbfootball47

mbfootball47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All wordpress blogs are no follow unless you change it. By making it follow you'll get more comments but alot will be spammers trying to get a backlink

mbfootball47, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  5. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, nofollow is better because it will prevent (or decrease) comment spam:)

trichnosis, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  6. Alfredito

Alfredito Peon

Best Answers:
    Its very Easy to check if the Blog you wanna adv' in have nofollow links - right click on the page - page source, then Ctrl+F, and type the name of the link you wish to check(just any link of someone there). the Ctrl+F will find it for you and you can see if next to the link it says nonfollow or not.
    You should do it before you adv' in the blog.

Alfredito, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  7. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    WP have nofollow comments by default.

Nofollow links will give u less comments and less activity in blogs.

DoFollow will give u good activity and Spam messages in blogs

priyakochin, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  8. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, just leave it as it is for greater good :)

KC TAN, Sep 2, 2007 IP
    srobona likes this.
  9. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use the seo for firefox plugin, it labels nofollow tags bright red so you can easily spot them

oseymour, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  10. Vanitas

Vanitas Peon

Best Answers:
    While the default for WordPress is nofollow, dofollow can be used to show your appreciation for readers that comment frequently. In my opinion, if someone who uses their real name or pseudonym (and not some spammy name) leaves a comment that adds to the conversation, why shouldn't you give them a backlink. Blogs with dofollow get more comments, and more comments can translate to more traffic.

An excellent WordPress plugin that provides detailed control of how you give dofollow links is Lucia's Linky Love.

Another great WordPress plugin to automatically moderate spam comments is Spam Karma 2.

Vanitas, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  11. FastWeb

FastWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a DOFOLLOW blog. It increases the activity when posters know that they will get a real backlink to their site. You just need to stay on top of spammy comments. I delete them fairly fast. For example, if you post "nice blog..." with a couple links to your websites, I'll delete the comment or edit it to link back to my own blog.

If someone makes a valid comment, and slips in a link to their own site or blog, I could care less.

FastWeb, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  12. krates

krates Active Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress is no follow and you must you this plugin to convert it to dofollow
    http://kimmo.suominen.com/sw/dofollow/ and you must use dofollow because the member before commenting read you post and then give the desired comments.

krates, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  13. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Linking out to banned or junk sites using dofollow "can" cause negative results. Another good option is time based Nofollow where new comments remain Nofollow for 24 or 48 hours giving you time to moderate and remove them.

Or implement a top 10 commenters hack where these people are rewarded in a Dofollow block. It avoids passing out too much link juice to random sites, and still provokes comment activity and rewards loyal readers. I believe this is the best compromise.

sweetfunny, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  14. chathura87

chathura87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I need to find out some sites which allow me to submit my articles
    Anyone knows some sites like that?

chathura87, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  15. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Wow, so you bumped a thread about nofollow and blog comments that is over a year old to ask where can you submit articles.

May i ask... What were you thinking? :rolleyes:

sweetfunny, Dec 8, 2008 IP