1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making money online sucks

Discussion in 'Websites' started by IamNed, Sep 1, 2007.

I decided to blog about why making money online generally sucks.

http://iamned.com/blog/2007/08/31/making-money-online-generally-sucks/

or http://iamned.com (second post down)

The five reasons are: too much competition, rising advertising costs, google filters, copycatting, and centralization

I provide graphs to help illustrate my point.

IamNed, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    Gnet likes this.
  2. michiganfootball20

michiganfootball20 Peon

Best Answers:
    well if ur ganna complain about advertising, just dont do it. i dont and im doing A OK

michiganfootball20, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  3. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't use paid forms of online advertising, but are advertisers seeing a good ROI? Maybe not.

IamNed, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  4. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Making money online is actually incredibly simple.

The fact that you can't do it, or can prove that other people can't, proves nothing.

The real problem here is that everyone does try to copy of other's successes. You see a lot less innovation, and a lot more spam.

If people would learn how to do something for themselves, instead look at what others have done, they'd fare a lot better.

I can say this from experience.

zac439, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  5. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe it is still very much possible to earn money online. We just need to know where to look.

cool_78, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  6. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I can make money online and I've made a fair share of it, BUT the trends I have noticed in the past three years have made it more difficult. In terms of making lots money in general, the are better ways than online. Yes there is still plenty of money to be made online-it's just much harder than three years ago and the are better ways to make money such as option trading and such.

IamNed, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  7. jkrish41

jkrish41 Banned

Best Answers:
    Have a unique idea, Go with it, Don't stop, You will be rich

Cheers Phil!

jkrish41, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  8. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Thinking outside the square helps make money online. I have seen some members here re-inventing themselves in a positive way.

Col :)

Cheap SEO Services, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  9. slwebtek

slwebtek Peon

Best Answers:
    find a niche, combine ON and OFF LINE, you may make killing

slwebtek, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  10. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    The main issue with unique idea is that you have to market it, AND the people whom you are marketing it to have to take internet in order for the unique idea to be a success.

marketing is very difficult. Thats why ad executives make so much.

IamNed, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  11. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. I received 50,000 uniques per week after offering free hosting on one of my websites two years back. I did zero marketing. A free webhost review site saw what I was running, added me to their list, and the traffic literally flooded in.

If you make something truly great, you won't have to spend a dime. This goes for other websites, like thebestpageintheuniverse.com - they did no marketing.

zac439, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  12. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Are you treating this whole gig as a hobby or business? Maybe the whole IM thing isn't for you. Personally for me, nothing beats generating passive income and leveraging your own virtual assets. Being cashed up doesn't matter as much online, so if you think it's competitive in the online world you will have a rude wakeup call in the offline world.

dcristo, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  13. selltrib

selltrib Peon

Best Answers:
    How can it suck? it's so easy to do. All you have to do is think for your self and you can make $$$.

selltrib, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  14. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If a 17 year old girl can become a millionaire offering free Myspace templates then anyone can become an internet success story. All it takes is some thought, hard work and a little bit of luck.

chant, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  15. mrpointdigital

mrpointdigital Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think it sucks...

Making money online is cool to me because it gives me something to do on my free time espically during the summer since I am a student..

mrpointdigital, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  16. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with creating these type of threads is that the only people who reply are those who disagree based on their own personal success while disregarding the statistics.

IamNed, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  17. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The statistics are flawed anyhow.

How many of those domain registrations are from companies who are just domain squatting? A majority, I'm betting. I think it's very likely that we will never see even a small portion of those registrations get developed.

And from the webpages that are created, think of how many spammy MFA sites are created each day for nothing.

If the statistics were more precise, I might pay more attention. I still believe that if anyone is determined and educated, they can make a successful living off the internet.

zac439, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  18. accord

accord Peon

Best Answers:
    earning online is not a big deal ..

accord, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  19. asfandyar

asfandyar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried to search on google on earning money but failed miserably

asfandyar, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  20. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to explain in detail why I disagree with the person who started this thread:

The five reasons are:

1. too much competition - There is going to be competition in any business you go into, whether its online or offline. If there is money to be made, no matter what idea you come up with, you can bet that someone else is doing the same thing. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

The way I see it, you have to options. You can either stop doing business online, as some people in this thread have already suggested, or you can differentiate your business and make it unique, or go into an area with less competition.

One thing I notice about webmasters these days is that they build websites and start businesses in the same old way, on the same old topics. Why build a website about credit cards when they are a gazillion of them? No matter what business you start, you had better be able to explain why yours is different and better than the others, or you might as well get out of business.

Besides, I would rather have too much competition on the Internet, than to not be able to compete in the brick and mortar world, where multinational corporations control practically everything, and have the blessing of the government.

2. rising advertising costs - Are you kidding me? Do you know how much it costs to advertise in downtown Manhattan New York, or at the Superbowl? Do you know how much it costs to run an ad on television?

Give me a break, the Internet is dirt cheap, and will continue to be indefinitely. You wanna know why? Because websites will keep being built. If you don't like the advertising costs one webmaster charges to advertise on their site, their are a bunch out there. Of course, if you want an ad on a PR 8 site that gets millions of visitors per month, of course you're going to have to spend good money, but compared to brick and mortar advertising its pennies.

Also, have you ever heard of guerrilla marketing??

3. Google filters - Google is nearly an online monopoly because webmasters allow it to be this way. Every time I login to Digital Point, I hear webmasters talking about Google, like they're a God or something. First off, the Internet predates Google, and Google didn't create the net. You can get large amounts of traffic to your site without relying on Google, Yahoo, or MSN, if you're smart enough to get past the SEO propaganda that says "if you can't get to the top of the SEs, you'll never make it.

This comment you made about Google is a direct result of relying on them. I'm doing fine online, and its because I don't rely on one company to give my sites rankings. If I'm gonna do that, I might was well go backing to being a wage slave, working at a nine to five job.

4. Copycatting - If you're referring to content, which I believe you are, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. If someone copies your content, you can go after them, especially if they're in the U.S. The search engines are also applying the duplicate content penalty to websites that copy content from others. Few respectable webmasters here at DP will buy written content from a writer that will be resold, or has been sold, to another webmaster.

Tools like Copyscape have allowed the online community to fight against plagiarism, and they will improve.

5. Centralization - This ties in to the what you were saying about Google filters. Again, if the Internet is becoming centralized, it is because webmasters are placing TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THE SEARCH ENGINES. As I said previously, the Internet predates the search engines, and the big three, Google, Yahoo, and MSN, are basically online monopolies.

In addition to this, it is no secret to anyone who reads that the U.S. government, and other governments around the world, want to shut down the Internet, and replace with AN INTERNET THEY CONTROL. I've talked about this in many threads on this forum. I've warned webmasters and online small business people about the advent of government and corporate control.

With Rupert Murdoch buying MySpace, and Google's acquisition of YouTube, the big corporations have made it clear that they intend to buy out the net. I don't believe they can succeed, and the small business person will always have an edge on the monolith, inflexible corporation.

Also, you're wrong about centralization. With the introduction of Web 2.0, the Internet will become more decentralized, giving power back into the hands of the small business person.

tesla, Sep 2, 2007 IP
    sharkyx and spiritfly like this.