1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cutts: PR to "game Google's rankings"

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jim4767, Sep 1, 2007.

Quote from Matt Cutts: “As someone working on quality and relevance at Google, my bottom-line concern is clean and relevant search results on Google. As such, I care about paid links that flow PageRank and attempt to game Google’s rankings. I’m not worried about links that are paid but don’t affect search engines. So when I say “paid links” it’s pretty safe to add in your head “paid links that flow PageRank and attempt to game Google’s rankings.”

Hmm, twice Matt refers to “...paid links that flow PageRank and attempt to game Google’s rankings”. Do I detect a subtle admission that PageRank affects Google’s rankings? That thought (PR —> effect on SERPs) is currently anathema to many webmasters. But isn’t that what Matt’s statement — perhaps an inadvertent slip of the tongue — is saying? Your thoughts?

Source: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

P.S. I'm not trying to reignite a contentious PR-SERPs debate. But I am curious what Matt Cutts's statement could mean other than that he is acknowledging that search engine rankings can be "gamed" by increasing a site's PageRank.

Jim4767, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    soju likes this.
  2. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR is just one of many things that affects rankings....but it affects for sure !

iatbm, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    Ajeet likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

Where have you been for the last decade? :)

Since the last century Google has had up on its Technology page "The heart of our software is PageRankâ„¢, a system for ranking web pages...."

PR may play less of a part than it used to but I can't believe there is webmaster with a brain who thinks it plays no part in ranking.

- Michael

Michael, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Heres an IDEA :)

Build your site for users and you won't have to worry about google.

I know building a site for the end user is something from the 1980's BUT hey, it really works

At least for me it does,

So many people worry so much what google thinks that they totally forget about the end user,

Bottom line = BUILD A SITE THAT HAS VALUE , and links or no links you will have a successful site

sundaybrew, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre and hsaleem like this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    No ways Google is going to admit that PR is totally useless and ineffective and that they dont even use it. But it is and Google is trying its best to distance itself from what has been referred to as an "unsavoury" practise and "false economy" that is being driven by elements gaming PR in order to profiteer from peoples erroneous assumption that it will help them in the serp's .

workshop, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  6. slaphappy

slaphappy Peon

Best Answers:
    Valuable content is overrated.

I just want the dumb bastards to click on my ads. :D

slaphappy, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  7. Trapped

Trapped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with you Sundaybrew, it works for your visitors and it works with the search engines (and not only Google).

Trapped, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  8. kemus

kemus Guest

Best Answers:
    PR and SERPS are both influenced by the most important seo-secret: *psst*backlinks*psst*

kemus, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  9. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Uhh, Michael, I've posted that very quote a number of times on DP, because I believe it (curiously, many seem not to believe it).

Jim4767, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself this: Where have you been hearing statements about PageRank being totally meaningless or worthless? Not from Google. Not from Matt Cutts. It's been at the heart of Google from Day 1.

But as noted above, PageRank isn't the only factor involved or invoked in Google rankings. And for that reason, the obsessive focus on PR exclusively - and especially on the almost meaningless Public PR as displayed in the Google Toolbar - has been consistently discouraged and played down by Cutts and other Google spokesmen.

minstrel, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice for the on-page issues of website design. Better advice is to focus on both on-page and off-page factors that make for an effective website. Both are needed for a top-quality site.

Jim4767, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Ranking pages and serp's the same thing? Think not. Try valuing pages instead. The rest is history. An unhappy experience which has come to an untimely end and which might just be replaced by something shiny and new.

workshop, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. Ignore either of those factors at your peril.

On the other hand, I think the point was that a primary focus on on-page factors will often lead you to improvement in off-page factors with little or no effort. Especially if you focus on the long-term instead of get-rich-quick and have a little patience.

Organic link-building actually does work. It just takes a bit more time.

minstrel, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  14. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Probably because they are confused and have not read my post from a couple of years ago :)

- Michael

Michael, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  15. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more. On a typical day I spend maybe ten minutes building links. I spend typically three hours on each new page — researching keywords, writing, rewriting. And it is paying off in a steady rise in unique visitors, page views, and SERPs (and organic links :)).

Jim4767, Sep 1, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  16. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are certainly some self-proclaimed SEO experts - who post PR is just a meaningless number on toolbar and for fun:rolleyes: One can find dozens of those kind of claims in posts on the Sticky PR Thread
    Certaily, PR is one of the most essential facts for Google SERPs and thats the reason Google is hell-bent on discounting the links-juice from a paid link - Matt said time and again Google has no problem at all for links with no-follow

jhnrang, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  17. James Dean Nash

James Dean Nash Peon

Best Answers:
    Page Relevance I believe is more important like have synonymous words related to your on page content...Page rank does matter but only one of the many factors because you will see many sites get out ranked by lower page rank sites....HMMM maybe cuz of relevance!

James Dean Nash, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  18. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I's substitute PageRank with backlinks. PR is a measure of backlinks, backlinks affect SERPs, seems to make sense to me. But just my opinion.

qazu, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  19. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the pagerank displayed in the toolbar matters all that much.

Links flow page rank and the internal pagerank it what matters.

bogart, Sep 1, 2007 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes, except it should say "Some links flow page rank; some don't".

minstrel, Sep 1, 2007 IP