1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking to learn PHP / MYSQL - recommend me a book anyone?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by bad_bob00, Aug 29, 2007.

Hi there,

I'm looking to learn PHP and MYSQL and was wondering if anyone can recommend me a book to get? I'm a newbie at the subject (basic HTML and CSS knowledge) and so a book aimed at beginners would be good :D

Also, would a book about php/mysql teach me much about web-hosting? I'm always asking questions about adding a domain to my hosting packages, and don't really have much of a clue when it comes to understanding web hosting - would php/mysql knowledge help me at all or would I need to learn something else?

Thanks for any help.
    Matt

bad_bob00, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  2. dalton

dalton Peon

Best Answers:
  3. Dirty-Rockstar

Dirty-Rockstar Guest

Best Answers:
    i was in EXACTLY your position 6 months ago. My advise is understand HTML tables like its the back of your hand. And make sure you can read html tags, create forms, text areas. Knowing alot of CSS helps when making your back end upgrade friendly.

I ordered a book called

got it off ebay. Now, there is alot of useless crap at the start of it unless you want to learn how to install php and apache and mysql on your harddrive. I did, just for the experience. The book is a great tool. But the best way to learn is by actually coding.

Google a free php template, something easy like a simple guestbook or webblog or something that has something to do with what direction you want to take php. then try to build outwards.

Learn to reconize php errors

for example

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/webpage/public_html/header.php on line 123

PHP:
    This might look confusing to you but its actually really simple. I put an extra } somewhere in my code. so it was unexpected. sometimes errors can get tricky as well. for example this error says line 123. but i put the } on line 7 ;)

Its all how you read the code. UNDERSTAND!!!, and i cannot stress this enough...UNDERSTAND how to open and close if statements and nested if's etc. learn to follow the open close brackets { }

Im just giving you advise from my experience. One noob to another

Dirty-Rockstar, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  4. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot, I will have a look at this book :)

Reps given for the very helpful answer!

bad_bob00, Aug 29, 2007 IP