1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Editor banned after Shoemoney extortion

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mad4, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    THEN BY ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY HELP YOURSELF!

Of all the people I see defend the ODP none have yet to actually do it. Give us your reasons why there are thousands of Topix entries, why there are/were pedifile sites, why there is apparent corruption in the spam categories.

Oh no, wait, your only defense is to attack the sites of the members here...

You are not helping anyone by logging in here...are you?

Certainly not DMOZ, according to you they have no flaws. Certainly not webmasters, you don't cater to them, and certainly not the end user...this is a webmaster forum.

Qryztufre, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very sorry I took this seriously

" ODP / DMOZ (7 Viewing)
    For anything regarding the largest human edited directory. Includes submissions, problems, using their RDF data, etc."

Perhaps it should be

"Only ex-editors and refused DMOZ site owners allowed"

Anonymously, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Nah, not all webmasters are ex-editors.

Though, the title of the main page better proves my point "Webmaster Forum - Internet Marketing & Search Engine Forums"

Though again, you are taking petty jabs at others rather then giving anything close to a valid point of defense for the ODP.

Qryztufre, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  4. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You keep saying this. Why? Does this go back to your desire to be like some crusader fighting for truth, justice and the American way and you are looking for some arch enemies.

You don't really thing anyone is going to bother to convince you of anything. Your have made your opinion quite clear here and within the ODP. Petty jabs are what this forum is about. Ask Julian, he is the master of the petty jab; he has turned it into art form. Serious attempts at discussion here are pretty much doomed to fail.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it is wrong! Kids could read that note! :p

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm taking bets that minstrel is writing scientific thesis based on DMOZ and how power corrupts, rumors says working title is "How can people living entire life in democracy when given absolute power create virtual fascist dictatorship and then defended it from entire World claiming their way is the right way like some doomsday cult.". :p

If you have nothing to hide and you claim your right why are you so afraid to show the World everything? I'm mean if you are right then by opening everything to public we will be exposed as frauds or the so called evidence will back all our claims and that is why everything must remain a secret? :rolleyes:

7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow !! I see Nebbie Boy now as the speaker of the New Order. :rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed that this topic made the front page of digg yesterday!

Pixelrage, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  9. jdevalk

jdevalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    markn: yep it did :p at least I got some fun out of it.

jdevalk, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no desire to expose you as anything Ivan. And I agree that there should be more much openness. But you want everything? Where do you draw the line. In the world of Ivan are we even allowed to have a line?. Some examples for you to ponder. Do we reveal

a)The details of the workings of the spam filters.
    b)The methods we use to deal with various spam techniques.
    c)The private information we have been given by editors to the public.
    d)When someone tries to pull a scam on us and it does not work should we tell the scammer?
    e)When someone does something really scummy do you think we should give all the details to everyone that asks so they can be truly humiliated.
    f)When someone applies with a whole lot of fictitious information as an editor so that he can cheat the system do you think we should tell him so that he can try again and see if he can do a better job of deceiving us next time?
    g) What about the information supplied by the submitters? Can we just reveal that to every one?
    h) When someone files a abuse report shall we let everyone know who made the report and what it said?
    i) What about the various tools used to detect abuse. Should make it easier for people to cheat the system in the name of openness?

11. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    AOL own the DMOZ and Google owns part of AOL

That's why Google still uses it

bogart, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  12. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I am really glad you are here Jude. If anyone can lower the tone of a conversation you can. Ivan wants to make it easier for people like you to deceive and lie and cheat the ODP as you have attempted to in the past. You would be pretty keen on that wouldn't you?

fathom likes this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    More projection, Neb? When have you ever made a serious attempt at discussion? When have you ever posted anything that didn't repeat the DMOZ party line ad nauseum?

No... that book has already been written. Worth a read: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

As was demonstrated during the compostannie incident when all their petty secret crap was exposed and the admins and metas WENT into panic mode.

minstrel, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  14. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Logs (history), talk pages, user banns/removals, spam blacklist are fully visible at wiki, anyone can see what has everyone else done including public not just users and anyone can complain why is his website on blacklist and get normal reply. Such openness could hardly do any damage to DMOZ but its integrity would skyrocket and anyone screaming corruption would have no choice to shut up if he can't produce the evidence.

If under spam filter is Automatic Quality Control Robot I have to say that it is broken and needs fixing anyway so someone who knows what he is doing might be needed. :rolleyes:

Over a year ago while I was still editor I got website submitted with description which was pure keyword junk so these techniques don't work either. :eek:

If you mean editor notes, there shouldn't be much problem in hiding editor name and leaving only content of the note visible and you can have option for individual editors to allow their name shown if they want to (I would).

No you should expose him to the public so everyone knows he is scammer.

Why not? Do you think that criminals shouldn't be shown on TV and nobody should know of their crimes? Public humiliation is one of the best punishment methods there is since such persons don't care about getting caught as long as they get a chance to do it over and over again, once exposed to public they will have hard time doing it again.

Who says they didn't? By keeping everything hidden there is very little that public can do to help out but if somebody has stolen someone else identity and is posing as editor John or Jane Doe from Cicely, Alaska there is much bigger chance of being caught if someone from public stumbles on that information and reports that that person has been dead for years.

As for editor harassment even in backwater like Croatia you can report such things to police, anyway there is again wiki model of only most senior admins need to reveal their identity to organization.

Considering amount of junk being sent I would definitely say YES, whole World should get a laugh at stupid stuff some people send and then scream why aren't they listed. ;)

He isn't testifying against organized crime, in most cases when you report somebody you have to give you personal details since you might be called to court to testify against that person, if you don't have the balls to do it then it is your problem, besides you can always ask someone from different country to do it for you.

Well look on the bright side gworld will be to busy searching for abuse using the tools so he won't be posting anything here and if he complains you can always tell him to search for it himself.

Here is basic anti-spam tool from wiki
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~eagle/linksearch

results for dmoz.org
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~eagle/linksearch?search=*.dmoz.org&totalwikis=20

16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You really have no clue what a DISCUSSION board is or COMMUNITY do you? This is how you are in the inner forums on DMOZ too right?

Does not really matter I guess, as your stance is certainly clear... to be a petty troll with no point or purpose other then to troll and defend molesting children.

Thank you for staying true to yourself.

Sad, though I guess it kinda makes sense as you are still an editor. It seems that Julian's standards and morals were too high so they had to let him go...

Qryztufre, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  17. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Bollocks. The "petty jabs" and trolling were around long before I came here, and will remain long after I depart. What you don't like is when someone comes here and does not follow the DP script.
    Please don't say things like that! I just sprayed coffee all over my computer.

18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting comment coming from a DMOZ / Resource Zone toady.

minstrel, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  19. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that I have posted at Resource Zone for about 3 years. Yep what you are implying is right that is another toe the party line or else sort of a place. It was started with best intentions but everything went very wrong from a breakdown in relations with webmasters through to people making up stuff and presenting it as official guidelines/policy.

20. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and one or two others.

Anonymously, Aug 29, 2007 IP