1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What cms to use

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by login, Aug 28, 2007.

I need a cms for a client. I dont know much about cms. The client will need to be able to update the site themself. What can I use? Not joomla please.

login, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  2. NineDesign

NineDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    We need a bit more information on what the website will be about, what content it will provide and which direction you plan to take it before we could recommend a CMS.

NineDesign, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  3. neelesh

neelesh Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude cms does not always refer to content management system. It also means course management system. What is what???? ;-)

neelesh, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  4. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The site will provide text information, images and video clips. It a company web site with tabs for navigation, also drop down sub tabs.
    There is an existing web site with a design that I am granted rights to use, but the design have to be coded again.
    I dont know what you mean by "which direction you plan to take it"

login, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  5. NineDesign

NineDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    By that I mean what you plan to do with the website once it's completed and online. I can't post live links so search Google for 'opensourcecms', you'll find a website that has demo's of the most popular CMS'. Then you can decide (with your client) which would be the best to use.

NineDesign, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    try cmsmadesimple.org. I've used it a couple of times w/o much trouble. The occasional "quirk" as w/ all opensource software, but the forums pretty active so if you do run into trouble you can always get help there;)

tmeyer45458, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I downloadad that one yesterday and installed it too. Now I need someone to make me a skin.

login, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    tmeyer45458 likes this.
  8. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can do that for you if you like...

Just PM me with details

tmeyer45458, Aug 29, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  9. ass45sin

ass45sin Peon

Best Answers:
    If no Joomla then Drupal might be your best pick..

ass45sin, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  10. x32v4c

x32v4c Peon

Best Answers:
    If converting a site that wasn't planned for having a CMS originally I'd recommend taking a look at Adobe (Macromedia) Contribute. It's not right for very large database driven sites, but for sites that are essentially static coded, it's a nice easy setup.

The software runs on their machine, making the templates for it is relatively painless, and the options are pretty good. You can get a 30-day trial from the adobe site.

cmsmatrix.com is a very useful site for comparing the real full featured options, but most CMSes are quite complicated and require a lot of planning.

x32v4c, Aug 29, 2007 IP