1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how many of you left your day job ??

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by sam1, Nov 9, 2005.

1. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah it is actually funny.. At one point I swore off working for myself after I sold a business I had and just had a lot of problems with.. I was happy to go to work for the man make a good living, not have any real responsibility (even a high level management position in a big company holds nowhere near the responsibility as someone running their own business)... Didn't take me very long to get over that... It is mindless and non-fullfilling for me... Even though there is more risk running your own business, the are much greater rewards as well.

I agree about the ceiling too... Even able to command a good salary working for someone else, everything is very structured and for 99% of the employees out there your income range is extremely narrow. That is simply not appealing... And my sojourn back into the workplace made me come back around and realize I am a control freak.

aeiouy, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  2. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Getting a job means his post is bullshit? Before you make yourself look even more clueless, try thinking more deeply into this. I have friends making 5 figures a month and they still go out and get "jobs". Do you know why? It's to expand into a new niche, learn their secrets and compete in it. In fact this is how a lot of competitors start up!

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  3. S2X

S2X Active Member

Best Answers:

Thats the thing, "Getting a job" for me is ALOT different than for 99% of other people in the world. If I don't enjoy my job, if my boss is an asshole, or whatever. I can afford to quit.

My point was that I will probobly get a job for a little while, get a feel for the business (Whatever I'm interested in doing after school, as of now I have no idea), then start my own business.

If staying home and working by yourself is something you enjoy, then go for it. I'm just saying that I tried that and it wasn't for me.

Sitting at home for 8 hours a day getting my websites set up last summer while all of my friends were out working was so fucking depressing, even though I was making more in a week than they made in a month...

I'm sure there is a lot about working and all that stuff that I don't understand right now; but whatever, I've got lots time to figure that out :)

S2X, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  4. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    S2X, just curious what car do you drive now? I am thinking of spending some of the money on a new car but also want to reinvest them all back into the business. If I were you, I'd hire some high school kids, pay them $100 or something to look after your servers/sites. Then you can enjoy the new wealth.

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  5. S2X

S2X Active Member

Best Answers:
    I pay two people that have been posting on my forums for a while to run my sites ($350 each), adding content / moderating the forums.

The one thing I've learned about the internet, is that when you hire staff, they will never do as good of a job as you (the person making all of the money) are willing to do, so I still do quite a bit of the work myself.

As for my car... None at the moment. I only just got my learners license a few of months ago, so I won't be driving until just after next summer.
    I'm saving up enough money to buy a house and what-not right now, I'm moving out the day I finish school. I guess I'll buy a car right after I move out (BMW probobly).

-5 rep, haha... I feel loved <3
    Scratch that, -9 now :D

S2X, Nov 10, 2005 IP
    blackbug and Peanut like this.
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    ha ha ha... exactly what I was thinking...

fryman, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  7. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    90% of what you post here sounds like bullshit... so I will call you on that one...

Your statement doesn't even make any sense.

aeiouy, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Maybe change that to 89%, I have to agree reluctantly that a lot of succesful people get jobs to learn the industry, then start their own company and make it a success.

Roman, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  9. D'oh

D'oh Peon

Best Answers:
    I left my job in July and have been since then supported by Affiliate income and AdSense.

It can be a bit boring around home without the social interaction and challenges you get in a workplace. I can understand why someone might want a job even if they are earning easy money online.

However, the freedom to do whatever with your time, and go on holiday when you want makes it worth it.

D'oh, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  10. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I left my day job about nine months ago. Actually, I got myself fired. I'm glad I did to. And I don't ever plan on going back and slaving for someone else again.

Time is on my side. My monthly bills I guarantee you are cheaper than anyone else in this forum and I've got a large nest egg and a bunch of sites earning more and more in adsense by the month. The future belongs to me.

I'm 23 years old with the mind of a 43 year old. I have excellent credit and big plans. For me, the internet is only the beginning.

Once I'm earning enough income to where I can go back to college I will go and get a higher degree, in something technical like nanotech. Then I will invest money in that field and start my own operation.

I love having free time. I read Tom Clancy books and play games whenever I want. I also spend a lot of time reading and every day continue to expand my knowledge beyond many nine to fivers.

tesla, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  11. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A 17 year old kid claiming to be "making" $20,000/month is bull shit :rolleyes: . I agree.. he should get a job, and a reality check ;)

yo-yo, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  12. Swordfish

Swordfish Active Member

Best Answers:
    I left my day job in January 05.. not based on adsense income but to pursue my web design business full time. I work on adsense a bit also...

Swordfish, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  13. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Left mine last month. Will never go back. :)

zman, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  14. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

There are MANY young entrepreneurs who are successful, you're overly underestimating what a "kid" can do. I personally know "kids" making 5 figures monthly. You might also want to check out a recent case study where a "kid" under 21 years old became a premium publisher. Guess when she started? When she was 12!

Nobody should take you seriously if all you're going to do is stereotype.

https://www.google.com/adsense/camcorderinfo

And correct me if I am wrong, how old is Shawn again? LOL!

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
    smapdi636 likes this.
  15. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I make enough now on my own to leave for a while now, but haven't because:

I work at place on the frontline of the industry and have learned tons of invaluable information from being there. When I started I knew nothing but web design.. now I know design, php, css, affiliates, niches, adsense, marketing, link building, ppc and more...

I might leave some day however.. I'd like to have my own business, but it's a risk I haven't leaped to yet.

yo-yo, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  16. evilmonkeyspanker

evilmonkeyspanker Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow I wish I could be some of you guys. Your a real inspiration.

To the kid making 20,000 you want to hire me :D

evilmonkeyspanker, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  17. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeh, kids who claim to blow through $6,000/month on drugs and alcohol make 5 figures a month all the time :rolleyes:

yo-yo, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  18. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Quiting the day job means working half days. Sun up to sun down and sun down to sun up. It's great!

I'd never go back.

noppid, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  19. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

What I post are FACTS, it doesn't make it bullshit if you disagree. BTW, being more open minded will ultimately bring you greater success!

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  20. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

What is your point? They know how to bring in the money, or are you disputing something else now? How about athletes? They blow by a lot more than $6,000/month, are you going to say it's impossible for them to make 5 figures monthly?

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP