1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MySQL and DNS driver issues

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by lorien1973, Nov 9, 2005.

I am having some big problems connecting Worldship to a new database.

I am using windows XP. if it matters.

The mySQL DSN driver I am using is 3.51
    The mySQL version is 4.0.20

I can connect to the database just fine and test the connection; but when I try to do something, it tells me that the DSN driver is not valid for import.

UPS tells me its the driver not liking something. Is there a different driver I should use? Is there an updated DSN driver for mySQL that i could try?

lorien1973, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  2. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    MyODBC v3.51.12 is the latest and it worked for me with MySQL v4 and v5.

I'm assuming from your description that you, logged on as you, can connect to the DB, but your website can't. This would be an indicator that your web server (you don't say which one) user may have limited rights and may not be able to load some libraries MyODBC requires (or even MyODBC itself). One way to troubleshoot this is to enable object auditing (Failures) on your machine (in Local Security Policy) and see what's being logged in the Event Viewer app.

J.D.

J.D., Nov 9, 2005 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its actually a piece of software from worldship.

I can test the connection (from the software from my data sources MSI), but the software cannot find the tables in the database so I can gather my data.

Its a VPS, so I don't have the box here. My host seemed to think it could be a connection issue between my windows software and the linux host. Is that possible?

4. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you are able to connect logged on as a Windows user on this box, there's physical connectivity. It sounds as if there's a permission issue - either on Windows side (e.g. the web server user can't run MyODBC) or on the MySQL side (e.g. the database user doesn't have necessary database permissions).

Try to log on to MySQL from this machine using mysql.exe and use the same MySQL credentials your web server is configured to use. See if you can see the tables in the database and select data.

If you can, then most likely it's a Windows permission issue. Turning auditing on as I mentioned is the best way to toubleshoot this.

You can also run a network sniffer and see what's going on on the wire - there should be a connection made to the MySQL port and some data going both ways.

J.D.

J.D., Nov 9, 2005 IP
  5. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    I turned on the event viewer, nothing special in there. I turned on tracing for the ODBC course, it created a 2 meg log file of everything it was doing (I guess). It seems to be, at least, fetching some of the database structure (I recognize table names in there). The database was exported from the computer behind me and put onto the host's computer today.

Possible some damage occurred or that the database needs to be repaired or something?

6. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Try running CHECK TABLE table EXTENDED for each table. This will do a full table scan and may take a while. Make sure you have a backup before doing this.

J.D., Nov 9, 2005 IP
    corena likes this.
  7. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    I just downloaded a piece of software called mySQL maestro. I was curious whether or not I was actually connecting to the database. I have the entire thing sitting here in front of me now. I can see data and everything. That's so weird.

I get the feeling its some sort of worldship issue - time out or something perhaps?

lorien1973, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  8. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Make up a small test app that just accesses some test database. If you can get records from this database, then it's some kind of a problem with your other app.

J.D., Nov 10, 2005 IP
  9. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    I solved it. For some reason, the Worldship software would not let me connect to the database without entering in my login info twice instead of once. The second place to enter it was not too intuitive (asked for an ID and a code - rather than a username/password), so I overlooked it when I was trying before.

lorien1973, Nov 10, 2005 IP