1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How about limiting the number of posts in General Chat

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ace.tuku, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I'm aware I'll be getting a lot of criticism due to this.

How about limiting the number of replies in General Chat for everyone. This will not only make all the users contribute more to the other useful topics on the community and will reduce crappy and insignificant posts by a large number.

People often uses the General Chat and Introductions sections (for welcoming newcomers) to buildup there posts counts. If we limit the number of times in Day you can post in the General section, i personally feel more members will contribute to the forum. Coz this Sections is kind of a distraction for all webmasters and often get carried away by some useless thread with some catchy thread line.

Rest is up to you, my last suggestion was supported by a Mod but nothing fruitful turned out.

Ace Tuku

ace.tuku, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I understand what you are saying but the whole point of limiting to gain is not really something that makes sense.

What one person thinks is a distraction is another persons valuable feedback. In the end there are tools like subscribe to feed or rss for topics to help you weed these things out and decide what is better for you to pay attention to and respond to.

Shoemoney, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    truedesign4u likes this.
  3. ace.tuku

ace.tuku Peon

Best Answers:
    What i meant to say was the amount of time they spent on answering to threads in General Chat if they spend that time in answering to relevant queries on the other section of the forum would help the DP community.

May b i'm not able to communicate it the right way...What concerns is people try to build up post counts through GC and Introductions Section and then use it for selling there Siggy links (i'm not saying they shouldn't). They are all knowledgeable webmasters who if they spend the same amount by posting in other sections where needy people who are looking for answers to there questions would actually help.

4. Blackmane

Blackmane Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the general chat because it isn't (nearly all of the time) about web master stuff. I think you also get to no people in a different light when you see htem post in the GC section.

Blackmane, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  5. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    probably you are right in your thinking but limiting the number of posts is never a good idea! No doubt it tough but it is job of mods to delete unnecessary posts and close the thread as soon as it is needed!

ravianz, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  6. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    No actually , then all the general chat topics would wind up in those threads,

General chat is just a great place to say ..........well anything "general"

BTW - Welcome to the forum :)

sundaybrew, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  7. ace.tuku

ace.tuku Peon

Best Answers:
    Appreciate the welcome :)
    Howz ur Tatoo ?? Planning on a few more ??

Anyways, Getting back to the topic. I believe and agree that General Chat is a must but often people leave a single liner remark to run up there post count so that they can sell there siggy link. Anyways, this is the last time im posting here on this topic. I'm bored of suggesting(complaining as others may see it :) ). Mods can close this if they want. I'm not reporting though.

Ace Tuku

8. truedesign4u

truedesign4u Banned

Best Answers:
    While I can see where this can be a problem, I think the mods have it under control. They have rules about post padding and thats exactly what you mentioned is. I think DP has it under control and makes this place the best place ever!

truedesign4u, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  9. Gnet

Gnet Peon

Best Answers:
    No, no.
    The General Chat is the only forum that Shawn DOES like and you wanna screw with that too?
    no way.

Gnet, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  10. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Oh really? Never seen Shawn posting is GC section.

getjimmy, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  11. ace.tuku

ace.tuku Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't take it in the wrong sense Dude. I'm not going to give out any suggestions that screws it. Moreover, you relax if it even a bit close to screwing things up it won't be implemented.

LMAO

ace.tuku, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  12. nickflame

nickflame Peon

Best Answers:
    What makes you think that the users will post more in other sections if the general chat would be restricted? Just to increase their post count?

Bullshit, i think, the people who know to answer good questions and who really know a lot of things do not give a shit on the post count, or on the signature selling. Restricting the general chat area won't make them contribute more to the dp community.

The people who are increasing their post count just to sell links are not very experienced or very knowledgeable in online business. If they were, they would not need those crappy cents coming from signature sales.

nickflame, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    We won't be limiting post counts in GC.

GuyFromChicago, Aug 26, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.