1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Well I did it I dropped YPN back for Adsense.

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by Da-Chief, Aug 21, 2007.

I don't understand Yahoo, I really don't.

I was one of their biggest fans. Not becuase of the $$ (Mind you it was good) but because you could communicate with a person.

While they still have the Phone Number something has indeed changed in the last 6-8 months. Thier product has gone down hill.

First it was the outtage and acting like nothing was going on, even when we were all up in arms etc..

Then because I was getting terrible targeting, I was told by "THEM" and thier customer support to target my own ads.. I did so..

Last week they took away my ability to target ads and now was stuck with "MORTGAGE" and Crap ads...

I did what they told me to do then they took it away and day before yesterday made 0.82. WOW!!

Enough was enough.

I hope they get thier act togethor. I boggles my mind that they put up the drivel they do on thier blog etc.. acting like "CROOKED SMILES" means a damn thing

While Rome is burning..

This is what happens when you get people who don't listent to the people actually doing the work. BAD LEADERSHIP!

Da-Chief

Da-Chief, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  2. scriptillusion

scriptillusion Peon

Best Answers:
    I know the feeling, but I continue to hope that they will regain their sense of business and get on the right track someday. But for now I'm stickin with the big G. Good luck in your transition.

scriptillusion, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  3. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yep...its bad for everyone...I have already switched most of my sites back, I still have a few I am holding out for hope though.

d16man, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  4. neelesh

neelesh Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer google for now rather than ypn

neelesh, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  5. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, their sense of business is telling the Chinese government about journalists/chinese searches. They help imprison people who want to be free. Yeah, great business practices.

Anyway, their program is a joke. Tell you one thing, then they do another. They have a huge bureaucracy problem and they don't know how to fix it. They try to cater to their stock holders by just changing CEOs although everyone else knows that it won't change anything. They are a joke.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  6. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    so nothing has changed huh. i guess i got out at the right time. whats funny is that from my multiple ypn accounts, i killed all of them but 1, only running pages that are still raking in the money. on 1 of my other accounts which was receiving absolutely no traffic, i got the termination letter regarding poor quality traffic. really, i couldn't stop laughing. what poor quality traffic? there has been no traffic to that account in at least 2 months. good eye ypn. thats how you show the world you are on top of things.

anywho, good luck to you all. i seriously doubt ypn is going to make any real recovery, although i'll keep raking in on the niches that are still performing until they screw those up as well.

karagold, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  7. Volknet

Volknet Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea. I'm about to drop them too.

Earnings have dropped to sub-par. +Still very untargeted ads.

Volknet, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  8. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    The more i hear about ypn the less likely i am ever going to try them. Never hear anything positive about them.

mrcrowley, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  9. TeachCrunch

TeachCrunch Peon

Best Answers:
    probably because their are only 4 advertisers with YPN..

Anyone looking for a YPN account PM me and I will sell you one!

TeachCrunch, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  10. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They need to hire a few google software engineers to help them out. Otherwise, they'll be in deep sh*t soon.

ablaye, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  11. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean the 14 year old down the street hasn't learned enough programming yet? Dang... I would think by now...

PoemofQuotes, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  12. Allisgood

Allisgood Peon

Best Answers:
    You know in the good old days when YPN was paying a lot of money I used to promote my sites using Google Adword to increase my traffic. That was such a user friendly system for advertisers. Then I thought since I was getting my revenue from Yahoo, I should try to promote my sites using Yahoo too. My God! what a nightmare that was. I'm sorry to say it but from an advertisers point of view you could not even compare the two systems. I had to drop advertising with Yahoo because I was scared they would run up my credit card in one day.
    They used up my monthly budget, in I think five days. Their system was awful to say the least. I'm sorry to say it. I think that's what drove advertisers away from Yahoo more than anything else.

Allisgood, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  13. Da-Chief

Da-Chief Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm..
    Not sure on the advertising, But one thing I really like about adsense is you can get a feel on how the day is going.. I.e I can see the clicks vs. the visits.

One thing I don't understand though.

In Yahoo. It would say I get XXXX impressions a day.. In Google I get XXX a day??

Google is off by Thousands?

Or was Yahoo?

I dunno.

What do you all use to track actual Numbers?? My host is through Network solutions.. (yeah yeah Don't laugh).

I have learned a lot from you all in the last 3 months I have been coming here.. Gotta admit A lot of the acronyms go way.... over my head sometimes..

;-)

Thanks
    Da-Chief.

Da-Chief, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  14. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither. Yahoo goes by total page views, Google goes by unique page views. So say, IP 127.0.0.1 visits your page A 3 times, B 1 time and C 5 times. Yahoo would say the IP gave 9 page views, Google would say only 3 page views.... however, that is only true in certain reports. Other reports give out the total page views for Google... it is confusing, but that's the basic reason.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  15. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    ypn counts ad unit impressions. if you have 3 ads on your page, 1 visitor would register 3 ad unit impressions for that visit, where google only registers 1. if that same user refreshes or comes back, ypn registers an additional 3 ad unit impressions

karagold, Aug 23, 2007 IP
  16. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on the report being shown.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 23, 2007 IP
  17. PioneerGold

PioneerGold Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Back in 2005, when I first joined YPN, it seemed like the plan was to have it go public by the end of 2006, at the absolute latest.

Earnings were good, the program was new, publishers were eager and everyone was starting to learn about contextual advertising.

Two years later, earnings are terrible, the program is getting old, publishers are skeptical, and everyone knows about contextual ads.

I think Yahoo really missed a golden opportunity.

PioneerGold, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  18. Agent007

Agent007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im still making good money sending Google traffic to Yahoo ads. But the Yahoo daily stats from estimates to actuals vary so much. Usually my actual revenue drops 15-50% from the estimate. Anyone know why this happens?

At least with Google Adsense the stats are almost realtime and actuals. :cool:

Agent007, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  19. fr0gman

fr0gman Peon

Best Answers:
    It is interesting that you mention this. I found a security hole in their click fraud detection system way back in March/April. I contacted a YPN rep and explained to her that I was going to perform a test. I gave her my account info and explained where the traffic would come from... the whole nine yards, right. I figured that they would get the info to their code monkeys and together we could build a better system.

After less than a week I get a notice that my account had been canceled. I thought, GREAT!! I thought that they had discovered the bad clicks and my experiment had triggered their detection system. So I called them and finally got through to this woman that said she was "in charge of the publisher program". I explained things to her and asked to speak to the person that handles the click fraud detection. She said that she was in charge of that as well. I said, GREAT... let's talk about this experiment. She then copped an attitude and told me that my account was not terminated for click fraud it was terminated for content violations. It seems that the site that I setup for this click fraud test did not have "quality content". No kidding!!!

I explained the whole "experiment" scenario to her again, gave her the name and number of the person that I had been talking to and even forwarded her copies of the email that had been sent. She refused to reinstate the account saying that "when the YPN program is out of Beta" I can reapply...

I asked what my duties were as a Beta tester if it is not to help find flaws and correct them... she again said that my account was not terminated for click fraud it was terminated for content quality violations.

The 2 most disturbing things are that I still have not received any communication from them with regards to the click fraud detection AND 60 days after they terminated my account for "content quality" they sent me a check for $279.83 for the click fraud experiment.

YPN has their collective heads so far in the sand on things that they may never recover.

Anyone who advertises with YPN PM me and I will show you how someone can drain your ad budget without YPN knowing (or maybe caring)...

fr0gman, Sep 3, 2007 IP
  20. hfweb

hfweb Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking about dropping YPN from one of my sites too.

I had one day where I made $11, the next day same ammount of clicks, a little less impressions, and I made all of 60 cents, next day, less clicks, more impressions and I made $13.

Anymore it just seems to vary far too much on how much day to day, a couple days where you dont make anything, then you make a bunch.

I think they have messed up with this smart pricing quite a bit.

hfweb, Sep 3, 2007 IP