1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the best wireless router?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by davewashere, Aug 21, 2007.

I've been having some problems with my internet connection lately, and I think I might need a better router. There are 3 other computers connected to my network but I am the big user, with bittorrent running much of the time (I limit upload slots to 2 per torrent download). Two of the other connections are usually wireless, and the other is always wired. The connection gets dropped about once a day, requiring a restart of the router. In addition, my wireless connection gets dropped about every other day, requiring a restart of my computer, as turning the internal wifi card off and on again does nothing.

I'm currently using a WRT54GS (1.1) router from Linksys running Tomato firmware (I was hoping it would be an improvement over Linksys' firmware if tweaked correctly, but it isn't). This is a pretty old wireless router, and I'd have to assume there is something better out there. So what router should I buy that will suit my needs?

davewashere, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  2. ammoun

ammoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try the D-Link [​IMG]

It's good :)

ammoun, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  3. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Belkin is what i used and it was great

samantha pia, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  4. sunilvarma

sunilvarma Peon

Best Answers:
    try the netgear wgr614

[​IMG]

sunilvarma, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  5. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I always used Dlink, recently went to a LinkSys and so much better. Dlink is crap in comparison IMHO and I've been through 3 of them from that company, plus my USB and PC wireless cards are all Dlink.

GRIM, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  6. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I basically use anything but Linksys. Sure they are owned by Cisco now, but I can't tell you how many of their routers lose connection like 50 times a day. I have used Belkins and I love their configuration and they are so easy to setup and secure. Their range also seems to be superior as well. Bottom line: Linksys sucks!

Firegirl, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  7. Muhammad Haris

Muhammad Haris Peon

Best Answers:
    Linksys WRT458G

Muhammad Haris, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  8. Sevenheartz

Sevenheartz Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree! I have been only using D-Link and my connection has been great. :)

Sevenheartz, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  9. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more. I have ALWAYS used LinkSys and have never had any issues and they are very easy to configure. When my friends/relatives buy other brands and ask me to come over and set them up, before I go, I ask what kind they bought and if it's anything else but LinkSys, I tell them to take it back and get a LinkSys and call me when they get back! :D

Right now I am using the Linksys WRT54GX2.

In this particular review they say extended range isn't great but I strongly disagree. I have used my laptop from about 300-400 feet away from the router through house walls.

threebuckchuck, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  10. liquidwebphil

liquidwebphil Guest

Best Answers:
    I currently have a WRT54G and had DD-WRT running on it. It's a version 6 so I can't really do much in terms of adding apps.

Prior to that I had a Netgear that only did 802.11B that I picked up from CompUSA for a around $15 on sale.

I think I actually had better connectivity with the Netgear.

liquidwebphil, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  11. Glamgurl36

Glamgurl36 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Netgear..its my favorite. always works at my house

Glamgurl36, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  12. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I've seen people use an older linksys and it seemed to work fine. I have a router from Linksys, although not wireless... it does its job and works just fine. I'm sure I would want to stick with that same brand if I were interested in doing wireless.

PHPGator, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  13. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    recommended ...

Spider Man, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  14. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you used the Belkin Pre-N router? That one seems to get great reviews.

It looks like I'm getting anything but a consensus, but I'd like to thank everyone for their input. The thing that really ticks me off about my Linksys is that in order to accommodate everyone in the house and have it in a central location I had to put it downstairs, in the spot that is closest in a straight line to everyone's computers but hardest for a person to get to when I need to reset it.

From other forums I've learned that my Linksys router has a problem with not clearing logged connections, and it just drops all connections when it's full. That seems like the dumbest "feature" imagineable. Couldn't they make it so the router just reset itself? I could deal with a momentary loss of connection, but having to go and physically reset it when it goes down seems like a very poor solution. The tweaked Tomato firmware should make it better, but so far I haven't seen much difference :(

davewashere, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  15. hamish

hamish Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a firm believer in the older linksys wrt54g with Satori firmware. After a few years mine finally wore out, and I was forced to upgrade to a newer model (less memory, no firmware upgrade), which is still rock solid.

If you're opening a lot of ports with p2p, it's a good idea every now and then to hard boot the router so it clears the routing tables/cache.

hamish, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  16. papazoo

papazoo Guest

Best Answers:
    check out dd-wrt.com. it is a site with hacked firmware that can be installed into certain wireless routers. It'll take an inexpensive linksys, or buffalo and add more advanced features and you'll end up with a much faster and better router.

papazoo, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  17. selltrib

selltrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I love my WRT54GL with dd-wrt running! never skipped a beat!

selltrib, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  18. scriptillusion

scriptillusion Peon

Best Answers:
    Belkin works for me. I am not a fan of linksys.

scriptillusion, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  19. selltrib

selltrib Peon

Best Answers:
    I use to run a belkin to my media center but use to disconnect something horrible. I never figured out why so borrowed a friends Linksys and never looked back. Guess just find the brand that suits your needs. There are plenty of reviews on all of these routers.

selltrib, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  20. BusinessForums.com

BusinessForums.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using Linksys WRT54GX and it works fine for me. If you are downloading stuff through BT most the time, it might be that you don't have enough bandwidth. You might want to call your ISP and upgrade your bandwidth .

BusinessForums.com, Aug 21, 2007 IP