1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YPN will NEVER go Global. Agree?

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by jackburton2006, Aug 7, 2007.

This is not a "when is YPN going global" thread. I've been following YPN very closely, and I don't think they ever will go global. Some reasons why I think this:

1) The system is FUBAR and ad targeting is non-existent. One of the only sites I have YPN on is all about a well-known public figure, but the only ads I get are mortgage ads and car sales ads from some guy name "Doug" in Louisiana.

2) Yahoo will eventually (if they haven't already) give up the market to Google. Instead of spreading, they'll move internally, and show ads via their search engine and sites. Eventually, I think they might even stop publisher networks altogether.

3) Well, it's Yahoo. They haven't done anything innovative since, um, I can't think back that far.

Anyways, my honest opinion is that I don't think YPN will ever go global, because it simply doesn't have the wherewithal to do so.

Thoughts?

jackburton2006, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  2. Sygon

Sygon Peon

Best Answers:
    Its like dead already and not even introduced to the whole world ;)

Sygon, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  3. kthor

kthor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    and hence why the stocks are where they are ...
    yahoo's CEO just wanted to turn the company a little around and run with the money (stock options)

kthor, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  4. Idiot Inside

Idiot Inside Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly my thought!

But I don't understand why the hell is so? Companies way smaller than yahoo are doing good in publisher area. Its amazing they are so dumb with everything they are doing related to YPN!

Idiot Inside, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  5. FusionX

FusionX Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is hard for elephants to dance. And moreover, I have met YPN's product team also. Needless to say that they are not the more impressive people you would meet in the internet and syndicated advertising business.

FusionX, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  6. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, it's amazing that Yahoo is failing so badly at this. Instead of looking for new executives to hire, they should be poaching some of Google's top minds. Yahoo just seems to have no clue right now. They've copied the basic looks of the Google ads, but it's the content targeting that's far more important, and from what I've seen, they're terrible at it.

davewashere, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  7. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    You'd think that with the purchase of Yield manager, they'd atleast get some where as they accept international customers already.

Sohan, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  8. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i cant believe really how far they have fell off the earth..sad as competition is good

templates, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  9. gadgetguru

gadgetguru Banned

Best Answers:
    ya dats true!!!!

gadgetguru, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  10. Norrad

Norrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that I don't think they will go global. I applied over a year ago and even set up a US bank account to use and they have never gotten back to me. Really poor when a company targets only a handful of countries whan using a global advertising medium.

Norrad, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  11. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    do they allow Australians?

joey112, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  12. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    "Good news for Yahoo: a new survey finds that customers are more satisfied with Yahoo than the other search engines and portals.

According to the University of Michigan's American Customer Satisfaction Index, Yahoo's score in the index rose 3.9 percent over the past year to 79 while Google's score fell 3.7 percent to 78. " etc.....

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759090-7.html

bluegill_catcher, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  13. netPH

netPH Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^^ that has nothing to do with this thread's discussion

netPH, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  14. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    Well there you go....
    I don't understand one thing tho if they can't do a relevancy of a site for keywords what does that mean for search result relevancy... Really same thing goes. Something is really not right. Maybe they just don't have enough users in need of advertising and just fill in the space?

007c, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  15. digiseek

digiseek Peon

Best Answers:
    relevancy is an issue because there are not many advertisers left with them. More over they are still in beta..

digiseek, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  16. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    "Well, it's Yahoo. They haven't done anything innovative since, um, I can't think back that far."

Oh come on! I think single handedly having several journalists arrested and disappeared in China can be considered 'innovative'.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  17. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and to be fair... people mention Yahoo having tons of ads served and what not, just look at their search engine etc.... well, here's what's going on:

To show relevant ads on a search engine is easy, just do an array split, then find the ads which contain the words. To show relevant ads on a webpage, they have to break down the whole page, take out stopper words, find out what the page is about, then find the relevant ads.

All they are doing is waiting for the 14 year old down the road to finish reading his book on AJAX... then they will get him to work on the relevancy.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  18. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    I knew they were going down the tubes when they started banning everybody last year. There ads are budussy and always have been. I'd be really happy seeing them disappear.

Ferrarislave, Aug 21, 2007 IP
    GeorgeB. likes this.
  19. PoemofQuotes

PoemofQuotes Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. I don't think I necessarily want them to disappear, I just want them to change their policies. When YPN first came out, they said they were for the publishers. They pledged great customer report, higher payouts and a better control panel. During the past two years, I have seen nothing but total change. Not only has their customer support virtually disappeared, but their payouts have become less and less and their control panel hasn't adapted.

What was once a place where you could choose the ad targeting and get an honest person to talk to has turned into what it is today.

The very moment Microsoft or ASK comes into a larger beta, YPN will fall off the earth if they don't change.

Yahoo; we have been telling you this all along, but you have never listened. Publishers want better ad targeting, good support, better communication between publisher and advertising network and a helping hand when problems happen. If these things don't happen soon, say goodbye to the program.

The only thing now that will get more people to join is if they open internationally if they don't change, even that will be short lived.

PoemofQuotes, Aug 21, 2007 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  20. TeachCrunch

TeachCrunch Peon

Best Answers:
    After they cancled the first 1000 publishers thats when I sold my 30,000 dollars worth of stock their and encouraged my financial buddies to follow my lead we cleaned up and got out fast thats why the stock is where it is today.

I don't expect YPN to go global but they currently only have 100 publishers or less now.

Their is some money out their left but not for many .

Thats why I am selling this YPN account!

TeachCrunch, Aug 21, 2007 IP