1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WebSite in ASP.net(How can I make a new website using asp.net?)

Discussion in 'Bing' started by ajitjc, Aug 11, 2007.

Hello friends,
    I am very interested to make a site with asp.net.How can I make a new website using asp.net?
    Can you please explain about it?

ajitjc, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  2. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Learn the language, remember that ASP is only supported by Microsoft servers.

Thanks,
    Meti

WatchOut, Aug 14, 2007 IP
    ajitjc likes this.
  3. ajitjc

ajitjc Banned

Best Answers:
    So did we take any permissions from the Microsoft team?

ajitjc, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  4. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    Start with installing IIS on your computer.

mahmood, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  5. Carlito

Carlito Peon

Best Answers:
    1) Decide which language you want to use (C#/VB.NET)
    2) Download Visual Studio Express
    3) Get some books or get very good at Googling

Carlito, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  6. Mesum

Mesum Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just start learning ASP.Net as well. What I did was download Visual Studio 2005, went to http://www.asp.net and downloaded couple of samples to mess around with. This site has most complete information you'll ever find online on ASP.Net.

Mesum, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  7. DigitalSEO

DigitalSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you want to go with ASP.net?
    I think the real question is what are the pros and cons of going with ASP over PHP.

What categories of sites or in which situations is one a smarter move than the other?

DigitalSEO, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  8. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    ASP.NET is only usefull to get employed in large companies otherwise it is no use for a webmaster.

mahmood, Aug 19, 2007 IP
    ajitjc likes this.
  9. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like you don't know what it takes to create a website.
    And from your questions, you seem to want to know HOW TO CREATE A WEBSITE.

Why don't you use Joomla/drupal/wordpress if it is simple website.

if you really want to handcode, do learn PHP and Mysql.. Works much easier than asp dot net

If you want to learn for a Job.. then learn JSP :) much more in demand

Blogspotter, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  10. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    Is it? I thought java was losing the popularity.

mahmood, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  11. tattoobit

tattoobit Peon

Best Answers:
    Both Java and .NET are in equally high demand. I know, I program both for large corps. However, to earn the big money, you need to learn OOP. Java shops enforce it a lot more over .NET as there are other languages besides C# that you can use in .NET.

tattoobit, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  12. FastWeb

FastWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't listen to the people who say that ASP.NET is useless for a webmaster. I've used it (through the DotNetNuke CMS) to build hundreds (getting close to a thousand) of websites. Here are some advantages to using ASP.NET over PHP:

• ASP.NET is precompiled instead of interpreted
    • I can build an 8-10 page website in about an hour
    • You can use some of the best tools in the biz to manage your databases
    • A large support structure backs ASP.NET whereas PHP is more of a "wild animal"
    • You can charge more money for your services!

Some may argue with me, but as someone who has used both, I recommend ASP.NET on about 90% of all projects. (The 10% are mostly e-commerce sites where PHP has far more mature libraries for building shopping sites).

FastWeb, Aug 19, 2007 IP
    longcall911 and ajitjc like this.
  13. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't tried PHP. Started with ASP.NET 1.1 and never found the need for other technologies. ASP.NET has great components that requires little coding like login, password recovery, ad rotators, databinding, etc.

qazu, Aug 19, 2007 IP
    ajitjc likes this.
  14. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Java is slowly going Open source, so that would trigger more wide spread popularity. Microsoft does some great marketing and are giving awesome support to partners, but for enterprise applications, there is more demand for Java programmers at least at the moment... All Legacy systems are building Java front ends and are being adopted in the thousands by fortune 100 companies.. My two cents

Blogspotter, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  15. coolramiz

coolramiz Banned

Best Answers:
    Jsp is much better supported my more severs

coolramiz, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  16. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    A while ago I offered my service as a ASP.NET developer for FREE but nobody cared. I am certain that if I offered the same for PHP a lot interested woul dbe attracted.
    By the way, offer is still on :).

mahmood, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  17. FastWeb

FastWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Gazu,

I've come to the point where I only spend about 1% of my time actually coding. There are so many great components for ASP.NET (and DotNetNuke which I use now almost exclusively) that I spend my time building effective website solutions and growing my business rather than coding. Just 5 or 6 years ago, I spent 90% of my time coding, and I made less money.

I know that a lot of folks hate Microsoft (I'm in a love/hate relationship with them myself most of the time), but you can't beat the development tools and components that MS provides to it's partners. I have a part-time employee (5-10 hours per week) that does PHP work, but I can only bill him out at about $35/hour, whereas my ASP.NET guys can be billed out at $100+/hour, and they have more work than they can handle.

FastWeb, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  18. DigitalSEO

DigitalSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any other kind of relationship that you can really expect to arrive at, between master and servant ? ;)

Yep as a business supplying development expertise you should go with trying to get as much ASP work as possible if the hourly rate is on avg. 3 times that of equivalent PHP work.
    This is obvioulsy the contrary position as a website owner, because you seem to be saying that the PHP work can be hired for just over 1/3 the price that the average ASP.NET developers cost(!)

What tools/technologies exist for allowing developers to convert a solution implemented using ASP and .NET libraries & components over to PHP?

DigitalSEO, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  19. FastWeb

FastWeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha - sometimes I do feel that way. :) But... the money is there.

Since I don't pay for website work, I bill for development work, it seems like a no-brainer to go where the market dictates. PHP is perfectly fine, but when companies expect to pay extremely low hourly development rates for PHP, it defeats the purpose of my business which is to make money. At $35 per hour, I'm barely breaking even.

Linux (at least in my area) has the same problem. Since it's free, businesses expect to pay very little for the management of Linux networks and applications. A PHP/MySQL/Apache solution is grand and neat, but when my clients expect to pay very little for it, it's hard to push those technologies.

Don't get me wrong. I love the free and open-source nature of Linux/PHP/MySQL/Apache, but a lot of small shops such as my own can't make money using them. (I use an open-source Microsoft based product called DotNetNuke that I'm crossing my fingers won't have these same problems in the years to come)

FastWeb, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  20. DigitalSEO

DigitalSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I concur with what you are stating here. I believe I got the right handle of the situation with your first contrasting of the price difference between PHP and ASP.NET development hourly rates.
    Or is it the other way round? Where the segment of the market that is unwilling to pay top dollar for services will choose to go with Linux?

It sounds like you have found the metrics that are crucial to your being able to operate profitably in this area and that you have found the best compromise there is for an operation such as yours thus far.

Though now it would seem you have also made transparent the personal interest you have in recommending ASP.NET over PHP to clients ;)

DigitalSEO, Aug 19, 2007 IP