1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the advantages of Incorporating your business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by visualkreations, Aug 18, 2007.

My partner and I are starting a web design company. Is it a good idea for us to incorporate the company?

what are the advatages / disadvatages

Thanks

visualkreations, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  2. rising4ce

rising4ce Peon

Best Answers:
    Big advantage: Limited Personal Liability

I gather from your website that your in Canada, I'm not familiar with the laws there, but in the US if your "partner" were to be on his way to a meeting with a client and get into a car accident, you could potentially be sued in civil court.

Also, in the US each partner is responsible for the full debts of the partnership. Now, you may say that you are not going to borrow money, but what if your "partner" were to take out a loan in the business name without you knowing? (and then suddenly head to aruba!) A corporation can offer protection from this in a couple of different ways.

There are many other advantages, but these are two of the biggest that stick out in my mind.

However, your best advice is to consult with a competent attorney in your area. Many will offer an initial consult for free...

rising4ce, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  3. circuscircus

circuscircus Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend getting an LLC ($600 from LegalZoom) to protect your personal assets because if a client sues you, and you are covered by an LLC, they can only take your company's money

circuscircus, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  4. jro

jro Peon

Best Answers:
    In Canada the advantages are

1 Personal protection.
    2 Limited Liability with maximum flexibility
    3 Potential personal tax benefits
    4 Option of employment with your own company
    5 Versatility... meaning you can structure your company's
    authorized capital to allow for different ways to participate in your business.

6 Multiple business names
    7 Potential corporate tax benefits
    8 Transfer of business to others

If you need examples let me know

jro, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  5. BusinessForums.com

BusinessForums.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Definately incorporate your company. People perceive corporations as being more stable than unincorporated businesses, which may gain your company more trust from customers. Corporations can also enjoy various tax advantages but the biggest advantage is that you will have limited liability.

BusinessForums.com, Aug 19, 2007 IP