1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New business Idea??

Discussion in 'General Business' started by a3196, Dec 20, 2004.

1. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Perhaps if we had an idea for a first knockoff, but there is already Yahoo Auctions, Overstock.com, etc. I'm pretty sure we've missed the auction site bandwagon... ;)

ViciousSummer, Feb 20, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Perhaps.. But then again I thought Shawn might have missed the SEO Forum bandwagon, however that has taken off to the tune of over 4k users in less than what? A year?

Of course I never would have ended up here if not for being proded by the move of the OG lists :)

I wonder though if eBay really was the "first". I still think Haggle was around before eBay. I think eBay is just the first to do it successfully and the first to really build a brand/recognition around themselves. My guess is more people could tell you they heard of eBay than say telling you something like what the US Population is, or naming one of their congressmen. I think overall one of the best things eBay has done is to build brand recogition. If you know nothing else, eBay is the only auction site on the planet. Many people likely feel that way.

Mia, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Yahoo tried this as an alternative to eBays system and buyers found it just drove up prices. Buyers are the key to a success and trying to please the sellers hasn't worked for any of eBays competitors.

I still stand by the fact that this would just be a great way to lose your money. It would take years if not more to even have the variety that eBay has. Its still the place to go if you want Variety.

Not to mention the huge budget you would be competing with. Its fine to try to have a niche auction site but as far as a general one, no business minded person would throw money into this.

yfs1, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  4. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    The toughest reason it would be to compete with eBay is the fact that they already have a market of millions of buyers and sellers. If you want to sell something, you know you're selling to the largest market possible at eBay. If you want to buy something, you know there's a large selection there. Plus, they've been established so the feedback system is more mature.

You could start something that is better but it would still probably fail if you wanted to compete on a large scale because you just wouldn't have the market. I think what the guy is doing with the pottery auctions is actually the right way to go. Start with a niche market and then branch out from there.

With the site from New Zealand, they are successful simply because they were probably the first established auction company in NZ. They have built the market and eBay is having difficulty making inroads there. The same goes with Japan. Yahoo! got there first and they dominate auctions in Japan. This can be seen with many foreign markets. If eBay hasn't established a presence in a certain country, a competitor can jump in by being the first to establish a market there.

vprp, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  5. Olney

Olney Berserker

Best Answers:
    This topic has gone way far from the original topic.

The problem is there are plenty of penty that have brilliant ideas. You guys are just trying them in all the same markets.

Yahoo auction in Japan totally dominates the market so bad that eBay had an eBay Japan but closed it a few years back already.

A lot of company owners don't understand the needs of international markets nor do they actually know the truths of the market or their competition.

Google Adsense also hasn't really taken off in Japan yet. I can think of tons of ways to improve their market in Japan.

I believe the English market is oversaturated but their are plenty of places & markets that are not & most aren't aware of it, & aren't trying to succeed in these markets.

Fortunately we are.

Olney, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  6. henryq

henryq Peon

Best Answers:
    I just made a site called x5traffic.com. I use it to trade traffic with other online stores to my own online store. If hundreds of webmasters join and trade, we can form a highly targeted traffic circle consisted of online buyers with deep pockets. What do you think?

henryq, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    ViciousSummer, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  8. Arthur1172

Arthur1172 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have created a site that does not have auctions, and lets you be in control
    of your sale. That is why it's called www.yoursale.com. For a monthly fee you can change the item you are selling if it does not sell, or if it does you can add another item, we advertise in local papers for you. Check it out and tell me what you think!

Arthur1172, Mar 3, 2005 IP
  9. Brad

Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    A couple of college boys made Google. Apple started in someone's garage. Bill Gates started pretty small. One thing is for sure. There will be other big things that started with small beginnings, why couldn't something start here?

Brad, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Ebay is the 56th biggest economy in the world or something after Kuwait, are you really going to bother competing?

No offence, count me out on that one. If i owned Amazon, Yahoo, Google or MSN or something, I might consider taking a share of the pie.

Design Agent, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  11. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    If the sole reason for starting an auction site was to compete with e-Bay, then you'd probably fail.

By just starting an auction site you are already competing with e-Bay (and probably thousands of other sites). Focus on being profitable, getting a market share. Also you do not have to knock-off the top guy on your own ... working together with co-competitors could be effective as well. Start small, but aim BIG!.

This thread has just given me an idea of an auction site ... the idea may or may not work but it worth a shot. I am off to compete with E-bay.

payoutwindow, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  12. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    see here is the problem? targeting?
    I mean we can make an ebay like website in China? or Japen or South America?
    There is a chance, Think of it like this..
    Ebay is a shark
    Company ( Yours ) is a fish

Sharks rule the Ocean while fish rule the rivers and streams?
    Sharks would have a hard time fighting rivers but fish would have a hard time fighting ocean.

Ebay controls the oceans but it with really good tech support and help with local stores I am sure you can combat Ebay. For example, you can make a site that is like ebay and have free stores and free bids. Then take time and go around towns and put thier info onto your site.

Then work on TRUST ( Good Tech Support and regulate )

I was think what if you made like a MiddleMan type of auction site.

Lets say you wantted an xbox 360?

Seller - Selling xbox 360
    Buyer - Buying xbox 360

What you could do is offer a Middle Man system/deal. Where The buyer sends the company the cash and the seller sends the gift to the company. Then the company would inspect it and then finish the trade ?

Worth a shot :p

Dreads, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  13. kevinzhang

kevinzhang Peon

Best Answers:
    Dream is a good thing, go go go , do what you want .

kevinzhang, Jul 15, 2007 IP
  14. mannohar

mannohar Banned

Best Answers:
    But also if 100 webmaster unite and do good marketing of the website then you must think that there is not only Ebay.We can share our ideas and make a new type of website with better concept than that.
    I don't think he is wrong to start this thread.

mannohar, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  15. rockys

rockys Banned

Best Answers:
    Your replies have already proved the theory of thread starter that it is possible to beat ebay, let me explain how?
    100 webmaster from 100 countries(generalisation) if they create their niche site's in their respective countries and beat ebay in there country, in a united way like a chinese niche site memeber's could see the listing of a U.S, niche site and buy, but actually we all are different in our own way in our own country. Only U.S. would be a diffcult market to beat ebay, but could be done and it has the most money too.
    As for payment gateway, can't 100 webmaster investing 1000$ each create a paypal competitor. Everything is possible, what is needed is the belief that it's possible.:)

rockys, Aug 18, 2007 IP