1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content stolen what to do

Discussion in 'Google' started by vickyiori, Aug 17, 2007.

So, I was just checking my technorati ranking and saw a blog using my content(whole articles without permission)

Need to know what to do about it, so that Google doesn't penalizes me.

But it looks like I'm not the only one, it is stoling content from each and every tech blog out there withou permission.

My article : http://techbold.blogspot.com/2007/08/put-command-line-on-your-desktop.html

Theft Content : http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/put-a-command-line-on-your-desktop/software

It can be clearly seen tis guy is using my RSS to steal it.. :mad:

vickyiori, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don't list a copyright statement with your text?

I do on most of mine that are important to me - which is most.

Either way, I'd email the website. Maybe even send them a link to this thread letting them know their practices are being placed in view of the public at large.

mdvaden, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  3. mji2010

mji2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is anything you can do... an email probably won't help, because I am sure that they know they are copying your content.

mji2010, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  4. karnetics

karnetics Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, It happens to the best of use, get over it!!

karnetics, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  5. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe the guy is using an auto rss feed software, maybe you need to limit your feed to summarized only not the whole article.

PinoyIto, Aug 17, 2007 IP
    yyyk9 likes this.
  6. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It look as thou he add you as the orignial owner but didn't give you a link back.

© 2007 Tech Bold - | Subscribe | About

Written by Vikas Nigam on August 17th, 2007 with no comments.

I would at least ask for a link back if nothing else.

FOX LORE, Aug 17, 2007 IP
    yyyk9 likes this.
  7. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    day before yesterday some lame-o stole an entire blog post of mine, and changed the links that i had to other links.. i was going to report him to adsense and send him an email complaining.. but then i figured that nobody would ever see his little PR0, lame-ass site anyway, so i just let it go..
    FYI - I use THIS to know every time someone steals my content or ads a link to my site.

Tearabite, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  8. Kuldeep1952

Kuldeep1952 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can ask him to give credit/link to your blog. That way you can also get some benefit. His blog is older than yours, and if you can prove that you content is original, you can write to his WebHost and also file DMCA with Google.

Kuldeep1952, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  9. karnetics

karnetics Peon

Best Answers:
    If the guy was not honest enough to ask for the content the first time, what make you think he is going to be honest enough to exchange with you!! :cool:

10. vickyiori

vickyiori Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Tearabite. But just in case I've sent an email.

And I'll be filing a report to their web hosting provider and advertisers(adsense) if not action is taken within 2 days..

It is after all just going to take a fax.

@Kuldeep1952

The domain name came into existance 10 Aug 2007 and his blog is not old.

vickyiori, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  11. karnetics

karnetics Peon

Best Answers:
    That is just wrong, he could have at least change it just a little bit. Yeah, I would go after him!!!

12. Adulu

Adulu Peon

Best Answers:
    Adulu, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  13. yyyk9

yyyk9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Send a letter to his host saying that he stole content off your site and if he doesn't remove it or give proper credit your attorney will deal with it for the digital DCMA code law. :)

yyyk9, Aug 17, 2007 IP
  14. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to start another thread with an idea :D (cha-ching $$)

Probably ain't new though - but my mind just amused itself.

An idea for a website :)

mdvaden, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  15. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    mdvaden, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  16. Sphinks

Sphinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is not much you can do. Just let Google know....maybe next time he will be penalized.

Sphinks, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  17. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    as long as your blog was posted earlier , google or other search engines would know as it is ...
    so you don't need to worry anyway .
    as long as your blogs are not your main mode of income ... dont bother giving him the extra importance he doesn't deserve

websys, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  18. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can't find the file - perhaps he has taken down the content due to the e-mails received?

bad_bob00, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  19. AliQureshi

AliQureshi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    can't do much, I've had similar situations, on an anime site I used to own. Couldn't really do much about it, except e-mail him, some ppl take it off, some owners don't care..

AliQureshi, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  20. emptymirror

emptymirror Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've dealt with this problem many times. My entire business site has been copied more than once, and individual pages dozens of times. This type of thing is rampant!

(For those of you who think it hasn't happened to you yet, type the URLS of a few of your most-popular webpages into Copyscape.com and you may be surprised.)

Anyway, here's what to do.
    First, list the URL(s) that have been infringed. Do a search on copyscape.com and archive.org to document the infringement.

Then, contact the website owner using the contact info on their site, or the whois info. Use their full name. Politely explain the situation, telling them you are the owner of http://www.example.com/yourpage.html and it's come to your attention that the content of their page, http://www.their site.html/theirpage.html contains your copyrighted text.

Ask them to remove it immediately and then notify you so you can close the matter. Tell them you will file a DMCA complaint with their webhost and with Google and the other major search engines if this matter is not quickly resolved, but that you would much prefer to not have to take that step.

Use the subject line: Urgent: Copyright infringement on your website.

This approach works for me 90% of the time. The other 10% I've had to go to the webhost and they are nearly always very responsive, either removing the page themselves or getting the site's owner to do it.

Following is an example of the letter I send; feel free to use the text if you'd like. It's quite effective. It isn't a formal cease & desist letter (you can Google the text for one of those) but a more informal approach like this works better for the initial contact, I think. http://www.quantawebdesign.com/b/copyrightletter.gif

Usually they will respond to your emailed letter with an apology and a note that the material has been removed from their site. Most folks will be civil, others will be assholes about it. Just stand your ground. Contact their webhost if necessary.

Oh, and the offender will nearly always blame it on someone else (webdesigner, friend, lover, hired hand) - someone who supposedly put the stolen material up on their website without their knowing. Ah, well. As long as they take it down they can blame it on whoever they like. ;-)

If they don't respond after the first attempt, send another email saying something like, "On August 19 we notified you that our copyrighted text appears without authorization on your website. The text of that letter is reprinted below for your convenience. Please correct this issue immediately and notify us when it has been done. Thank you for your attention to your prompt attention to this matter."

If they don't respond to that, then feel free to contact their webhost. But usually you won't need to.

best,
    Denise

emptymirror, Aug 19, 2007 IP
    TomR likes this.