1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

*Procedure for Payment from Clients - Pls Advise"

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by amberstar702, Oct 12, 2004.

Webmasters/SEOs:
    After you set a price with clients, do you request payment before you begin work on their website? Half before and half after? Full payment after completion? Have you ever been done out of money for work? :confused:

I would like to know what the "norm" is - if there is one.

Cordially,

amberstar702, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I think the half down, half at completion is a good idea. I have not used it.

I like to have client present when I set up hosting and domain name and let them charge to their credit cards.

The two drawbacks to the above is

a. Clients are sitting ducks for domain name scams which can be real hassle to clean up.

b. If client fails to renew domain name you are faced with getting site reindexed under new domain name.

One local developer does web design for free but charges whopping amount for hosting.

I look forward to reading what other developers have to say on issue.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 12, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  3. angrylizard

angrylizard Peon

Best Answers:
    What I do is offer clients 2 options: 50 now/50 at end and 100 upfront. I have never had anyone complain about this and it always works well to guarantee that they don't take you for granted and also, do their end of the work (content, etc).

I have done work in the past when just getting started where I was guaranteed that if I cam up with a preview draft that looked good, I would get the job. They said the draft was great but then pulled out of the deal and wasted my time, and so from now on, I never do work upfront. It's a recipe for wasted time.

If any client gives you trouble with this, remind them that they were asking you to provide something (in this case work) upfront and so they should have no qualms about putting money upfront. Businesses don't do work on spec or upfront and if people expect you to, they have misconceptions about what web work is. It's business and thats all there is to it. If they want to see your work upfront, thats what a protfolio is.

angrylizard, Oct 12, 2004 IP
    debunked likes this.
  4. amberstar702

amberstar702 Peon

Best Answers:
    Shannon:
    Thanks for your input. :)

Angrylizard:
    You make a lot of sense and we are going to follow your advice. Being fairly new, we don't like to seem pushy but then clients take advantage. :( So many clients want something for nothing. They are quick to say "You are so nice" and "Thanks" but then they and their wallets disappear from the scene with work done for free.

Cordially,

amberstar702, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  5. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend the 50/50 or 30/70 but not 100% upfront or Zero. It is always right to give you clients payment options but ofcoz you need to consider own cost so asking for downpayment if the best practice for freelancer or small business such as ours.

Sometimes we also entertain zero down but only if the full amount is in escrow service.

melfan, Oct 12, 2004 IP
  6. amberstar702

amberstar702 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi All:

We have decided to go with the 50/50. It is working so far. :)

Cordially,

amberstar702, Oct 18, 2004 IP