1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Exactly Happened on Sept 22nd?

Discussion in 'Google' started by seo-ireland, Nov 2, 2005.

1. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats Weirfire!

Caryl - you say that things recovered for you 6-9 Oct? This didn't happen for me at all. My traffic has stayed at a stable (albeit crap) level since Sept 22nd.

One thing I did notice in the weeks up to Sept 22nd, there was a significant drop in GoogleBot activity. Anyone else see this?

seo-ireland, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  2. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    seo-ireland,

I am referring to actual Google results. Not traffic.

Traffic can be highly effected even if you moved from position #10 to position #11 (page one to page two in the serps)

You can just see from my records that some kind of "event" occured in that late September timeframe.

Actually, as you can see from my original post in this thread, the changes that occurred in late September did not even register in my memory until I went back and looked again.

If it were not for the results on September 22nd and September 26th - I would most likely just looked at those results as some kind of "unusual flux" due to a Google "Bloop".

Caryl

mcdar, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  3. michael_angeloh

michael_angeloh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I actually noticed something strange afoot quite awhile before Sept 22nd. I posted a thread on Sept 13th (correction: Sept 12th) about the 1st early abnormality I saw while performing a DP tracking here:

PR up... Pages in URL=0 ??
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=32784

Of course I had no idea at the time that it would lead to the current scenerio...

michael_angeloh, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  4. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, according to the post...

You started that thread on - Oct 12th 2005, 8:49 pm

Caryl

mcdar, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  5. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    I own a few sites. All my older sites that are in the coop were hit during that time. None have recovered.

Lately new sites (less than a year old) are getting traffic. One even gets a nice amount of traffic when searching for Jagger ;) Those aint in the coop. Could the links be the thing they want to aim for? I know that in theory the coop is just an advertising network. But if Google dislikes it, I will dislike it as well :p

Somehow its odd that we cannot ask if the Coop is a good or bad thing. I mean if 1000s of webmasters could use techniques like it.. Honest webmasters.. They should be clear if its a way to go or not right? There are definately lots of good resources in the coop that shouldnt suffer.

Dirkjan, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  6. michael_angeloh

michael_angeloh Peon

Best Answers:
    Oct 12th 2005, 8:49 pm a Saturday evening...
    "Right you are... McDar..!"

Caryl... I've been following your posts and appreciate your perspective on this issue. Seems like your research supports the thesis that this whole G update event has been more a result of G programing issues than anything else yes..? Do you still believe they lost a chunk of directory indexing data that they have been trying to re-construct..?

michael_angeloh, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  7. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    If there are issues maybe they started on the 22nd Sept :eek:

8. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    YES!

I still believe that most sites will return to their "normal" (read previous) positions, once Google has resolved it's issues.

I am NOT saying that Google has not implemented some changes to their algo - what I am saying is that these DRASTIC position changes are problematic NOT programatic (due to problems rather than the program/algo change).

Again, my records from yesterday certainly lend credence to that theory.

No algo change occured between Nov 2nd and Nov 3rd to drop those allins like this...

[​IMG]

IMHO ;)

Caryl

mcdar, Nov 4, 2005 IP
    seo-ireland likes this.
  9. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    Caryl you are my new best friend :cool:

10. mcdar

mcdar Peon