1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Paypal to accept payments

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by sayyes, Nov 3, 2005.

I'm going to start accepting payment on my website. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with using Paypal for accepting payments? Are there better alternatives?

sayyes, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think paypal has come a long way. Sometimes when people want to pay with a credit card, but not create a paypal account, they get confused.

dvduval, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  3. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    True, that's why you can specify the options pretty well
    1. Pay with credit card (Visa/MC/Amex) (Paid via Paypal, no Paypal account necessary)
    2. Pay with your Paypal account

exam, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  4. sayyes

sayyes Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice. Thanks!

sayyes, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  5. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal is a great place to start. Their fees are reasonable, and they offer a variety of integration methods.

Once you volume reaches 1 - 2k / month, I would look at switching to a traditional merchant account, but for a new venture, paypal is great.

jestep, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    How is the paypal credit card payment option set up? Can you only place the buttons onto your site requesting a specific amount or do they also let you accept credit card payments over the phone and let you get the payments processed thru them?

Blogmaster, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  7. dropshipman

dropshipman Peon

Best Answers:
    Starting with Paypal saves the initial hassles concerning setting up a merchant account. Definitely start with Paypal and then explore other options when your volume gets bigger.

dropshipman, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  8. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use them for my e-commerce site, and it works extremely well. You get an e-mail notifying you of each payment, and it's really easy to integrate it. If you want PM me and I'll send you the URL.

Ian

Ian, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  9. dawggone

dawggone Peon

Best Answers:
    I regularly use PayPal and ClickBank. I was a huge fan of PayPal, reasonable fee schedule and I like have the ability to either use my debit card or simply transfer to my checking account.

But I do know people who have had huge problems with them (accounts frozen and canceled) and I did have one problem this summer that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Longtime client (over a year) complained about a payment (curiously one of 3 made that month--why that one?). I demonstrated that this was a long-standing relationship and that the service he paid for had been delivered. He still got his money back. It was only $48 I think BUT the item in question was a reseller situation so I was out that money not to mention the time involved in tracking down and providing all documentation not to mention the aggravation and worry (was the customer going to get money back for other transactions as well?).

I do still use PayPal but I don't keep much money in the account (easy to do and doesn't cost you anything to transfer to your bank account) and I have my ClickBank and StormPay accounts ready to go into use and for backup (not all countries can use PayPal).

One problem in four years (I think that's how long, maybe longer) isn't that big a deal I guess but I wasn't happy with the way any part of the matter was handled so I just wanted to be up front with someone just starting out with them.

dawggone, Nov 4, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.
  10. AnthrAx

AnthrAx Guest

Best Answers:
    paypal suspends accounts for every reason possible, thats why few people accept paypal anymore.

AnthrAx, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  11. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just wait until some idiot decides he wants the goods and the money too...
    He will wait until he receives his order and then call his credit card company and do a chargeback and there wont be a damn thing you can do about it. Paypal will take the money out of your account and refund the scamming idiot. I know because I was just scammed out of $70 bucks.

pctec, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  12. rooketmedia

rooketmedia Banned

Best Answers:
    I've had pretty good results with PayPal, though I have heard of some horror stories (so knock on wood). Overall, I would recommend PayPal, especially when starting a new site, since it is simple and no upfront fees. There are of course better choices out there, but most of those accompany fees and are targeted for mid-high traffic ecommerce sites. PayPal is definitely the best option for beginners and fresh sites.

rooketmedia, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  13. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is really good..but its high time that they reduce basic fees ( 3.9% + $0.30 )

If smaller payment processors like moneybookers can sustain by having very low fees with a cap, why cant they do it ?

agnivo007, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  14. bing4all

bing4all Peon

Best Answers:
    Good choice paypal is better, it also have referal program.

bing4all, Nov 29, 2009 IP
  15. cheeta.admin

cheeta.admin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well if you can withdraw money through paypal then its good for you :)
    on other hand there are money bookers and plimus
    best of luck

cheeta.admin, Nov 29, 2009 IP