1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone else here host their directories with Site5 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jg123, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Site5 has lots every bit of reputation it has ever had.

If you go to webhostingtalk.com - the biggest web hosting discussion board around today, people would rip you to shreds there if you made it heard that you're hosted with a blatant overseller like site5 or hostgator.

You were probably using too much CPU usage and that was their excuse for termination. You see, they give you loads of bandwidth and let you have multiple domains hosted, but try get traffc and actually use your hosting and kaboom. You are gone.

From personal experience, www.downtownhost.com is great. nice prices, fast support, great uptime.

just my 2c...

mikey1090, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  2. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    Site5 is HANDS DOWN the worst host I've ever been with. I quit them 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Try dreamhost.com or hostmysite.com

tmeyer45458, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  3. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Site5 is one the worst hosting site I have ever known ...
    And their excuse is just Pathetic

If I remember correctly, phpLD is not with Site5. Its on VPS with some other host.... (Not remembering the name atm)

Fastian, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  4. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am very sorry to hear this. Site 5 although i only tried it once when David gave me the backup account once my site was hacked. I didn't have any problems but recently have been hearing people having issues with them.

and Even phpLD <David moved it from Site5 due to issues>

As mikey said, it could be server load of your site, but this is absolutely ridiculous of them to just remove your site saying it is spam because i have seen the site and it is no where close to spam.

I think this can make a very good class law suit where they are just discriminating against you or your site, and very well you would win if it goes in legal hands.

smub, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  5. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    I can offer you with C Class based Web hosting services but only for quality paid directories ;)
    Some hosting companies suspend their clients just for some unrelated reasons :mad:
    Tell them to send you all the files via email and change the host asap.

amitpatel_3001, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  6. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    Really sorry to hear about this.

onlinedude, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  7. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    You probably were using up too much bandwidth and they had to find a reason to get rid of you ;). But i agree they should at least give you a means to get your data back...

007c, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  8. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    I think its aso, btw, my reference is more towards the context under which Site5 has terminated the account... and the excuse they have given is:

Seems that David was with site5 at some point of time, see here:

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=16523
    http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=17335

NeoGen, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  9. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Really sad story, not first with Site5.
    Had problems with my directory on HostGator but it was not concerning quality or spam.
    Also HostGator stuff was very kind to me, helped a lot, offered much more I could expect.

dargre, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  10. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Fastian, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  11. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I wouldnt bother with a VPS.

Shared hosting is like sharing a pizza between 50 of you
    VPS is like struggling to make the pizza yourself
    Semi-decicated is like sharing a pizza betwen 3 of you (perfect pizza for directories)
    Dedicated hosting is like eating the pizza yourself (which may be too much pizza for your directories)

If you understand my strange examples, i am recomending you to go with semi dedicated hosting. Its identical to shared hosting but with fewer sites on the server, so its faster and more reliable! A VPS is not as good as you have to manage it yourself etc.

mikey1090, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 and NeoGen like this.
  12. coolsitez

coolsitez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Time to move on.. Don't bother with bad web hosts. I hope you find a good host soon.

coolsitez, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really think the above quotes are bang-on, I only use around 80% of the resources alloted but I bet they like having folks using 50% or less, it allows them to oversell more. Anyways I am very disappointed with www.site5.com and with crappy service like that I hope they go out of business.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  14. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, guess you are making the right first step mentioning it here. More will avoid them until they wake-up and get their act together!

my condolences to you and hope you find a good alternative. I'm using HG and am ok with them. Think their strongest point is their 24/7 chat which had helped me through a few tough patches.....

jl255, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had some major problems in the past with HG, I have been in contact with one of the new owners or a representative from HG on this forum and am told things are different now. I can't really say from personal experience but I hope so.

IMO www.site5.com is really shooting itself in the foot.

I think it is scary to see a hosting company policing SEO this way and I am not sure to what end you are doing it? I mean if you would be willing to terminate a hosting account because of www.wrdir.com then I would guess not many webmasters are safe from your reach. Many websites have built in directories and link pages so they might be in violation of site5's policies too. Even if they aren't now, or are border-line I would think it would be a wise decision to change hosts and not take the chance.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  16. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    They have already done that and going forward one should think twice before taking site5 services..

Adding to your advice, IMO any webmaster with Site5 should immediately move away from them.. god knows what they can term as SEO spam..

NeoGen, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  17. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Apparently someone posted that they state in the terms somewhere they do not allow directories, period? I mean so many sites have directories built into them and would that also not cover 'links' pages? I guess 80% of the web is spam in their opinion.

And using ambiguous spam terms when describing my directory www.wrdir.com is laughable and I am sure I could find 100's (if not 1000's) of MFA blogs using grey-hat SEO hosted by www.site5.com right now.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  18. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    NeoGen, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    crowquill likes this.
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe those listings were done by the directory owners....anyways I really believe the basis for whatever they are doing is that they are just huge oversellers and the fact that I was actually using resources was not good for them. The put together a big fancy ToS and other policies that basically cover everything so they can terminate accounts as they please.

It just would have been nice if they did it in a profesional way instead of so strong-handed.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  20. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt it from looking at the identical titles and descriptions.

Sorry to hear about what happened; hope you get it sorted soon.

CReed, Aug 15, 2007 IP