1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone else here host their directories with Site5 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jg123, Aug 14, 2007.

I have had problems with them concerning downtime over the past few months but have been lazy to move to a new host. My hosting was down all day so I emailed them asking when it would be up and they sent me a nasty email saying they were terminating my account.

They are also telling me to obtain my data but I can't access my hosting account to download any backups?!?

I have mostly blogs on that reseller account and a couple of web directories. Some of the sites are inter-linked but I had no idea that was against the hosting rules? Anyways I am quite bewildered at their aggressive attitude and I will of course be moving my sites. I should say that the sites on this host have basically been the same for about 7 months and they never said anything about this before.

Is this a common policy at most webhosts? That sites on the same account can not link to each other? I have never heard of that before.

Also, any ideas on how I am supposed to go about obtaining my data if I can't access my WHM account?

thanks

jg123, Aug 14, 2007 IP
    NeoGen likes this.
  2. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use canaca.com
    I am quite pleased with them... I have been there for about three years.

pctec, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  3. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow pctec they sure offer a low price for some crazy resources. How many sites do you host with them and what hosting plan do you use?

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  4. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its funny you say that because when I first signed up I couldn't believe a few claims they had so I called them up. I said C'mon... are you serious? Whats the catch?

LOL

I host three there atm...

pctec, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  5. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    No, I do not host with them, I've heard bad reviews and would prefer not to host with them.

Thanks,
    Meti

WatchOut, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  6. rightit

rightit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use hostgator, they are great I think.

rightit, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  7. rldowling03

rldowling03 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hawkhost.com is good, i had like 5 mins of downtime in last few months, its really good. but i hate how hosts get aggressive at me for something i don't know i did.

rldowling03, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  8. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What makes me really angry with www.site5.com is the fact that they are accusing me of something but won't give me details. They are saying my site www.onlinebusinessstartups.com is breaking their ToS policies but they won't say how.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  9. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If they wont tell you then they are complete morons... you cannot comply if you don't know what you are doing wrong...

pctec, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  10. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I have seen many people crying at Site5 .... Have heard so many bad reviews with them I will not even host my site if they offer everything unlimited and free ... :) ..... They are just pathetic

@JG
    Just try to find a suitable hosting for your needs and move on.
    Many people here are happy with Hostgator (Though I don't like them), you can also check out HZ & DTH ;)

DTH recommended by Mikey & me
    HZ recommended by Me :

Fastian, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  11. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah some hosts are really run by idiotic jerks. I myself have a bad experience with Host247.com when they claim that I broke their TOS but will not specify why. Anyway I am hosted with datakl.com, you might want to check them out.

Ibn Juferi, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am thinking of moving everything over to a single VPS, it will be more costly but I would love to leave the headaches behind. Also if you recommend anyone please include the full name or a link for me cause I have no idea what dth or hz is.

Also as a side note I had a nightmare experience with hostgator around a year ago, they kept taking my sites off line and eventually actually changed some code on them. It all had to do with running some news feeds, they said it used too much resources.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  13. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As some of you may have read my previous post, www.site5.com has very rudely terminated my account and threatened me to obtain my data within the next 24 hours or less. It appears they don't like my directory www.WRdir.com which is a webmaster niche directory. Here is the quote from the email:

and my reply:

Here is the initial email:

Needless to say I am speachless regarding their actions.

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  14. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhh .. my bad
    I thought you have seen the thread of "templates" on the same topic.

HZ = HostingZoom.com --- Best Web Directory is hosted here
    DTH = Downtownhost.com --- Zorg-Links is hosted here

And I know both are outclass so i recommend them both :)

But if you are planning to go with VPS make sure its "Fully Managed VPS" else, it can turn very bad if it is your first experience on your own.

Host are normally slow to respond to issues of VPS as compare to Shared. (Unless its fully managed one and they have its access)

Fastian, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  15. Razvan

Razvan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That sucks, as I said in a previous post, I strongly recommend Known Host.

Razvan, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  16. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont get it, why does any host care about SEO spamming sites (not thats yours is one).

Fair enough adult content etc, but word cloud or directory type sites? How does that do the host company any damage that means they wont allow it?

Really strange.

Hope you find a more down to earth host!

wayner, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  17. WengChun

WengChun Active Member

Best Answers:
    i'm using hostnine and the support is great....i have no problem with them so far

WengChun, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  18. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is really scary is that they are making this decision based on what is obviously nothing other than their somones personal feeling. WRdir.com may not be a 'top' directory but it is not close to spammy.

So it looks like www.site5.com has decided it is the new front-line defence against spam and sites they don't think should be on the web. It sounds like it would make an interesting class-action lawsuit!

jg123, Aug 15, 2007 IP
  19. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Seems that site5 has lost its...

This is disgraceful on their part to terminate the account..at least they should have inquired from you regarding the site before terminating the account..

Just wondering, are they going to terminate all accounts that are having phpld based website.. that way first site that should be banned is phplinkdirectory.com

NeoGen, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im sorry to hear of this happening to you jg123, i think that any host should at least give fair chance for someone to retrieve what they need first if their going to close accounts and at least correspond with the customer a little further before doing so.

The only exception being if a site was something illegal, on extreme level too, but other than that they should be a bit more fair and less abrupt.

pipes, Aug 15, 2007 IP
    jg123 likes this.