1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Iwebtool directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by formula, Aug 14, 2007.

Hi all,

6 months ago I bought a link under the Art categorty on iwebtool directory. Now they are re-arrange the directory and tell me that I need to move my link 2 levels down. So it will be something like /art/photography/blabla/mysite
    I don't think it is fair, because I paid to be on the second level and not on the fourth ot the fifth...

what do you think?

formula, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then i suggest you contact them and tell them
    you dont care for that as its not what ya chose
    "unless its specific" to your site then i wouldn't lose
    sleep over it as it will sooner or later receive PR
    if thats what you where after.

I can see your point but at the same time look at
    whats going on around you "google" and ask yourself what
    exactly would you do in thier shoes...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  3. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever you think Malcolm1 this time I join to formula - definetely it's not fair.
    They could offer something for those who loose top level cat position.

I'm not crying as that's only 1 link and not so important, but...
    I wonder what you think and write if it was my or other DP user directory?
    I'm sure very soon some other DP users would start another QBC long story....

dargre, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  4. Instigator

Instigator Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my sites was already in a sub category with only one listing, yet to continue the listing I just had to move it down another level to a category which is less relevant.

I believe this same individual changed the listing period from lifetime to yearly, even for those who had already paid for a lifetime listing.

Instigator, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I too got contacted, and i am now around 5 levels down.

The advantages:

less outbound links on 1 page
    more outbound links related to yours

the disadvantages :

PR lovers get their link on a lower PR page

mikey1090, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  6. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can ask for the refund if you are not happy...

But directory owner can move your listing in relevant category

MeetHere, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  7. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I too have just received an email from Iwebtool regarding this and have now been moved lower.

Hey, it is still a good link to have and am now better categorised so am still pleased.

vicdigi, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Besides, it only costs $10 to get listed there. I dont think it will break the bank.

mikey1090, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  9. Grumps

Grumps Peon

Best Answers:
    Request for refund since that is not what you purchase for. New category = no PR. Spoil the purpose of us paying for it. They should let the link run till its expiry and provide you an option to renew it in the new category or not.

Grumps, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  10. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my submission page I have this...
    Even though I have no intension of doing so, I put it there in case there is a need later on down the road. I don't necessarily agree with people moving your submission but I realize that sometimes it may be necessary.

Now if I submitted and it was placed where I requested for only a week, I'd get suspicious...

pctec, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  11. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you for certain that you are much better off being in a more specific category providing the directory has enough PageRank to go around and IWebTool does. The only time it is better to be in a top cat is if you are submitting to a weakish directory where the 2-3 level deep categories are not getting spidered on a regular basis i.e. once a month. PageRank wise if there is more then 30 outbounds on a page you will get little if anything so you may well be better off in the specific category. Just because you are put into a new category it does not mean that it does not have PageRank, this is one of the reasons why I have a job as an SEO. I had a guy submit his absynth website to the recreation category in my directory, it blaitently needed to go in the newly created food & drinks cat. so I moved it, he contacted me and asked for a refund because he said he was buying for PR (this guy is going about things the wrong way, why the hell would you want PR for a site selling absynth, what he really wants is good rankings so he can sell shit loads of absynth and link from a directory will be more valuable if it is from a relevant category, PageRank does not come into it providing the directory has good PageRank in general), just because a page does not show PR it doesn't mean it does not have any, think, look at the rest of the directory, do those pages have PR, if so then the newly created page will also have PR and when there is a PageRank update it will be assigned and you will get PageRank from it.

Dave E, Aug 14, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  12. tresman

tresman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I received the same email.

It was pocket money what I paid, but it's the second time he does something like this with these listing.

First time, when I bought, it was a permanent link there. Then he wanted all of us to pay on a yearly basis, but due to pressure here in the DP forums he moved back and granted the lifetime link.

Now he's moving listings far away from their original positions just to fix he's own mistakes when he started selling.

The category my web is usually has a lot of submissions, and with the position I have now which no one can get at this time I ensure it won't get lost in to multiple pages in a deep category. But not the way he's doing now: it will probably end in the future in very deep deep page.

As for those who say get refund: yes, this is an option, but it's not fair. If I buy something which I know will be more expensive later on, getting a refund based on what I paid is not what I expect. In some way, I own these small area which is my listing on the directory, and if I need to leave it free I expect to be refunded what it is worth now. Let's call it investment.

It's not money, and it's not that important, but I do not like the whay he does business.

And I will always tell people not to do business with iwebtool, simply cause you can't trust them.

tresman, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  13. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yea,had to change mine down a couple of levels as well..bad business practice,but ill bite

templates, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  14. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well im not the first to start screaming QBC... i said it the way i seen it.
    You dont agree... ok thats why its a conversation :)

NOTE: they contacted everyone who would be affected...
    most just do as they please as its "THEIR" directory

Now read what Dave E said and i dont think you can argue...
    Ill take a specific catagory pertaining to me before i just try for
    the next best thing cause it has PR..

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  15. formula

formula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    it is not about the $10 - and I would say nothing if they moved my site one level down. But this one will send me 2 levels down and still it will not describe well my site :(

I think if someone buy something from me, I wouldn't change it without their permission. But this is me...

formula, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  16. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    One is sure: I wouln't spend 10 USD and even 1 USD for deep level category link which brings me 0 traffic, passes PR0.
    I never buy things because it has nice or popular NAME.
    No matter if it is Channel, Gucci, Armani or iWebTool :D

dargre, Aug 14, 2007 IP
    maldives and Instigator like this.
  17. manni

manni Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think having more levels is better as there will not be a huge number of links on one page.

manni, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  18. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I 100% agree. Total crap. I paid on April 7 for a PR4 page, and now they think it's perfectly fine to force me down to the fourth level. Sorry, not without a refund!

American law refers to such practice as "bait-and-switch."

EducationLinks, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  19. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so does it mean that if you link was moved to a deeper appropriate category but yet with the same PR, that is ok?

would just like to hear your opinions....

jl255, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  20. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, whilst I am no fan of iwebtool (all these changes seems like they are desperate for money, recent price hike on link ads, now this...) but anyway...

I am with malcolm1 on this one. As long as the category is relevant to your site then you have no reason to complain. It is a directory and directories will restructure themselves and re-arrange the positions of the listings.

If it is not relevant to your site, then contact them and ask them to put it in a more appropriate category.

@EducationLinks, that would only apply if you can prove that when you submitted your site they had something in their terms of submission which indicated you would always have your link on a PRx page, which I highly doubt.

SilkySmooth, Aug 14, 2007 IP