1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Problems – Here is my List

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Surf_Dude, Oct 14, 2005.

1. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wish they at least left a reason, but hey, what can you do.

I'm tempted to go on with the rest of SurfDude's post but to be frank I'd prefer to know he's not going to pull another runner this time around.

bradley, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  2. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn’t it seem strange that this increasing irrelevance you speak of is some how enticing the webmasters to suggest their sites to ODP in record numbers?

riz, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. That's nothing to do with the relevance of DMOZ listings. It has everything to do with the fact that Google so far still pays attention to DMOZ listings.

Remove Google from the picture and there'd be no interest in DMOZ at all, outside of the few remaining DMOZ editors.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  4. NickEx

NickEx Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41358 still sucking upto dmoz, i dont get it

NickEx, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :confused:

Who is sucking up to DMOZ in that thread? What I see is the usual Resourceless Zone rat pack mentality: someone asks a question, two or three editors chime in, and them Motsa climbs aboard, yells out, "No asking questions here! Zis is verboten!!", and locks the thread.

minstrel, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's only one motsa :) .

jimnoble, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Thank goodness for that :rolleyes:

Blogmaster, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  8. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    It would ofcourse help if people read the RZ- Guidelines and don't ask questions that are marked "the following topics may not be discussed".
    But at DMOZ we know that people don't read the guidelines. Why else would we have to reject so many sites. :p

pagode, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    God, you people are so full of it. The list of questions that cannot be asked is longer than the list of those that can be asked.

And you know damn well that if anyone steps out of line an inch from an editor's point of view, either the poster will be banned or the thread will be locked. It's like the soup nazi in real life.

What a pointless place that is!

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  10. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    NickEx, why would you characterize my behavior obsequious? I have asked questions at RZ to enhance my understanding of ODP. Resource Zone puts a public face on what is generally perceived as a closed organization. I have used the directory for its intended purpose and have benefited from it. I have even contributed by pointing out dead links and inappropriate listings in the sections that I frequent. How is that “sucking up”?

pagoda, you have left me no choice but to quote directly from the said FAQ.

In the thread that NickEx has singled out, my understanding of “Some sites get listed multiple times, …” was the motive of my posting. The mention of a specific site was absolutely necessary, since the ambiguity of this practice causes unjust confusion. hutcheson’s elaboration helped me realize the justification of listing a few other websites so broadly.

riz, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  11. NickEx

NickEx Peon

Best Answers:
    yah, what ever. keep sucking up may be they will put in your site.

NickEx, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I have to start with a non-standard disclaimer. I'm posting here in total confusion; not as an editor or as anyone pretending to know anything... I am wearing NO hat, my head is completely naked. :eek:

Riz, your topics are not standard resource-zone material, and some editors there may have become hyper-defensive from withstanding continous attacks, but I've found most of the discussions you've started interesting and can see where it could help someone truly wanting to understand nuances of ODP.

So, although I don't know what I'm talking about and I may be pointing you in the wrong direction, I wonder if it would be acceptable for you to start your discussions in the Members Lounge The place for all off-topic threads.

Maybe you could pm someone over there and ask? :)

compostannie, Nov 3, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Thanks for re-introducing some common courtesy into this thread, Annie.

Again, it seems to me that the defensive and arrogant reaction of many DMOZ editors is most of the problem. Anyone running a forum knows that it's not unusual for new members not familiar with the forum to post things in the wrong place. The normal human reaction is to move the post to where it belongs, NOT to reply with "you broke a rule by replying here - you're banned".

I'm just talking about a little common courtesy and patience, something usually lacking at RZ.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  14. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Anne, I appreciate your candor and find it rewarding that others may have benefited from my inquisitive behavior. Unfortunately, I may have overstayed my welcome at RZ. I sincerely appreciate the work of honest, civil, and above all knowledgeable volunteers at ODP.

riz, Nov 3, 2005 IP
    pagode and NickEx like this.
  15. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    NickEx, this level of thoughtfulness needs no response.

riz, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  16. NickEx

NickEx Peon

Best Answers:
    this is too much. you have no back bone. may be you are a troll.

NickEx, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I took it as sarcasm... :eek:

minstrel, Nov 3, 2005 IP