1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What questions do I ask graphic web designers?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by exoticpublishing, Nov 2, 2005.

Hi there,

I'm going to be looking for a good graphic web designer who doesn't have to know coding (I already have a website coder), but needs to know site navigation, layout, colour psychology, colour schemes etc.

What questions should I ask them in order to figure out if they know what they are doing?

Thanks

Michelle

exoticpublishing, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    ask for a portfolio ;)

A standard set of quesitons will not work well across the board... a unix person may not know crap about photoshop but could do awesome stuff with gimp... ect... just look at what they have done.

Shoemoney, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  3. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would be better to look at some of their work instead, if it appeals to you and they come across as an intelligent person, bingo.

Not really sure what to "ask" them. To me, it's always best to see what they can do first and go from there. The work should speak for itself.

Good luck! ;)

Colleen, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  4. exoticpublishing

exoticpublishing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys.

I'm not looking for a technical person (other than knowing PS or Fireworks etc.) & just looking at a portfolio (assuming it's even theirs) is sometimes not enough to know if they picked the layout of the site, if they know how to design the front of a DB etc.

Oh well, thanks

Michelle

exoticpublishing, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  5. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    hiring a graphic designer and a programmer...
    hmmm....

i believe the best web site designs are created by artistic people who also understand programming code.
    just like the best print marketing designer is someone who understands advertising messages as well as having the ability to draw and compose layouts.
    macromedia flash is another good example...
    the brilliant things being done with flash today are mainly achieved by great programmers who are very artistic as well. they understand both flash actionscript as well as color, sound, motion, layout, etc.
    so...to separate these 2 functions...although it may be done in large new media firm all the time...is not always the best route to take...particularly on a smaller web site project.

dividing these 2 functions can create an 'uphill battle' in achieving good web design results.

relaxzoolander, Nov 2, 2005 IP
    Arnica likes this.
  6. mlagift

mlagift Guest

Best Answers:
    I think even asking them doesn’t mean that they are telling the truth about their skills :)

What I do is asking them to create a unique design based on the layout that I want. Then I am checking the design done after 8 hours or a day max.

mlagift, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  7. relaxzoolander

relaxzoolander Peon

Best Answers:
    yes...i lie about my capabilities all the time and earn big cash doing it.

relaxzoolander, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  8. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    maybe they will work for excort services? that sounds like a win win!

Shoemoney, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    One of the most important things in choosing a designer is the initial consultation. Do you guys click, see eye to eye etc. Many designers out there are very "mechanical" and don't always get it. Talent is more important than technical skills. That part can be learned and read upon as you go along.

Mike

Blogmaster, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  10. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for graphics designer check out <nonurl>http://www.choreo.com/</nonurl>. You will end up paying less for a person of his caliber than a non-professional.

Shannon

Smyrl, Nov 3, 2005 IP
  11. alt

alt Peon

Best Answers:
    You should ask the web designers what their rates are for editing your website, eg text changes, adding an additional page etc. All of the "extras" can add up quickly and increase your budget.

Also, it will be handy to ask if the designer SEO's your pages.

alt, Nov 3, 2005 IP