1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Costa Rica Real Estate, is Google biased?

Discussion in 'SEO' started by calbertdyer, Aug 13, 2007.

Just wondering, I type it in and then the first one has 5 links to the same site.
    Is this something Google does a lot?
    How do they pick the sites for that.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=costa+rica+real+estate
    I'm sure the company is really good, but why does Google make one so special when there are so many other good real estate companies in Costa Rica?
    I type in "Belize" and there is only regular listings.
    I have no problem with this if the company is really that good, but how does Google decide?

Thanks!

calbertdyer, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  2. mji2010

mji2010 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do notice that alot... I think it happens when a website has more than one page under their domain that ranks high for a particular keyword.

mji2010, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    calbertdyer likes this.
  3. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its a authority site for that keyword, but that site doesnt look that impressive to me. Surprising to see that it has a high Trust rank.

godmode, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    calbertdyer likes this.
  4. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    no one knows exactly... but somehow google grants the authority status to sites. Probably the ones that have lots of links and age.

calbert, on what place is your site?

DomainMagnate, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  5. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google algo is a big secret.

nobody can give an exact answer to your question

trichnosis, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  6. kwan

kwan Peon

Best Answers:
    This isn't that big of a secret. Matt Cutts explained it once. It has something to do with a domain having enough distinctive backlinks to different pages for Google to split it up into several topics. Each page on that website has PR 4 so it's just good SEO on their part.

I even remember Matt mentioning Google manually creates those links if they think it's relevant, but don't quote me on that. It's on his blog somewhere but I can't find it because I don't remember the exact word he uses for it.

kwan, Aug 14, 2007 IP
    calbertdyer likes this.
  7. krsaborio

krsaborio Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts, an engineer at Google, has written quite a few tips.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/type/googleseo/ is a good start.

Pura vida.

krsaborio, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  8. snappingpig

snappingpig Banned

Best Answers:
    I think a lot has to do with a DMOZ listing. Is this site listed in DMOZ? If it is, it's getting links from 1000s of different places. I noticed that DMOZ has a lot of crappy outdated sites getting HUGE rankings on Google, just because they got listed in DMOZ.

snappingpig, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  9. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kwan is partially right. Google doest distinctively identify some sites. I have seen sites with Pr 2 as authority site for the keyword.

why?

Because that site has exact anchor text on multiple high authority/high Pr sites, which tells google that this site has quality and has specific information about this keyword since other authority sites are linking to it.

godmode, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  10. calbertdyer

calbertdyer Banned

Best Answers:
    calbertdyer, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  11. calbertdyer

calbertdyer Banned

Best Answers:
    NOwhere yet, but some blogposts Mike made with links to it rank on page 6 for Costa Rica real estate. I work on it everyday to get up there. Google is slow though. They like the old sites, mine is new.

12. calbertdyer

calbertdyer Banned

Best Answers:
  13. calbertdyer

calbertdyer Banned

Best Answers:
    can you find a link to that, cause on a real estate forum they are talking about Google doing it automatically. If it's manual, that would suck, because some editor of Google can just hook up a buddy. Google says they play fair, but if some people get preferred then that ain't fair. Right?

14. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    haha don't put your keywords in DP, it just ranks for everything :p

Google became too elitist, all serps belong to authority sites :\

DomainMagnate, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  15. calbertdyer

calbertdyer Banned

Best Answers:
    thas unfair yo, cause if anyone call the owner of this spot bout some properties he won't know what to tell them. I do :D

calbertdyer, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  16. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    The extra links are due to an algo program at google that try and identify authority sites on the subject and then try to help users by displaying extra links into the site to common areas (such as contact us pages, about us etc.)

However, that translates as - sites that have been at the top of the rankings consistently get the links, whether or not they're actually any good at the info / service they provide (ie. whether or not they're authority sites).

DoA, Aug 23, 2007 IP
  17. krsaborio

krsaborio Peon

Best Answers:
    I just searched google.com for costa rica real estate and found this thread in positions 90+. However, since this is a forum, it won't maintain such high positions for ever.

Like CalbertDyer said, Google likes old domain names. Indeed, Google likes old domain names but with lots of content.

Some of the Web sites that show on the costa rica real estate top 10 have hundreds of pages.

Search Google for site:yourdomainname and you'll find how many pages of your site are indexed by Google.

So, IMHO, to show on Google's top 10 you need:

1. Older domain name
    2. Lost of pages with on-topic content
    3. Many good quality incoming links
    4. White hat SEO

Pura vida.

krsaborio, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  18. krsaborio

krsaborio Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a big misunderstanding about the importance of the search phrase 'costa rica real estate'.

Having made a few Web sites that ranked in the top 10 - top 20 for 'costa rica real estate', I found thru the Web statistics of those sites that such phrase only brought about 3 to 5 percent of the overall traffic.

Phrases such as homes for sale costa rica, houses for sale costa rica, condos for sale costa rica, condominiums for sale costa rica, lots for sale costa rica, land for sale costa rica, and many others give you the rest of the traffic.

If your Web site only performs well for 'costa rica real estate', you'll miss 90 plus percent of all potential buyers.

Remember, most potential buyers know exactly what they want in terms of type of property and location. So you need to target popular locations in Costa Rica and different types of properties, not just 'costa rica real estate'.

Also, if you optimize for Google, most likely you'll spoil your rankings in Yahoo and MSN. Since Google will only send you just 45 to 55% of the overall traffic, you need the rankings in Yahoo and MSN to get the other 30 to 40% Web traffic.

Pura vida.

19. krsaborio

krsaborio Peon

Best Answers:
    I've attached some statistics on search phrases involving the words 'costa rica' and 'real estate'. I've omitted just a few words related to international real estate franchises.

The statistics reflect Web traffic of a 'costa rica real estate' top 10-top 20 Web site during a week.

If you should have any questions, please send me an e-mail to info at krsaborio.net

Pura vida.

Attached Files:

20. namaste

namaste Peon

Best Answers:
    well most probably, its because a website will be given authority when its getting inbound links from almost many of its targeting keyword's ranking website.

Its also dependent on the age of rankings a website continues to sustain for those keywords.

After having a long time period and lesser competition for that keyword, Google gives authority listings to these kinds of websites.

namaste, Sep 3, 2007 IP