1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

irrelevant links

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by awaken, Aug 12, 2007.

i've been doing a great deal of research on our competitor's backlinks, and i've noticed that a large number of them are either completely irrelevant or are sitting on "parked" domains with adsense ads. it's becoming tedious to have to sift through all of the mess in order to find the few "golden" links that i think are boosting our competitors trustrank. i'm also wondering if those seemingly irrelevant links are actually adding to their rankings. i wouldn't think so, but it's hard not to assume, and even harder not to pursue the same channels.

so my question is; do i continue to sift through the links to find the ones that i think are worth going after or do i start a "carpet bombing" campaign and try to mimic their backlink structure down to the final, most-irrelevant link? also, does anybody know of a tool that would analyze competitor's backlinks and put them into a certain order? for instance, let's say that i have about 1000 links to sift through. if i had a program that would pull-out all of those links, and organize them in order of PageRank, then i could spend my time trying to get links from those high PR's without all the tedious legwork. cutting down my time, and making my work process much more efficient.

awaken, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  2. akdiver

akdiver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know the feeling. I believe SEO Elite list all backlinks with pr so it may be worth your time. I believe that even irrelevant links would give some (tiny) amount trust. So if you have thousands that may add up. Dont forget though to copy your competitor and then do some extra to rank above them.

i would reccomend against carpet bombing and use your time wisely to get good quality links.

akdiver, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  3. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does your competitor do better than you? If so, then maybe those so-called irrelevant links do have value after all.

heinlein99, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  4. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes irrelevant links help alot, if you can get a link take it. Also domain-pop.com will take the top 1,000 links and order them by pagerank.

sweetfunny, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  5. monty2002

monty2002 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    irrelevant links arent as helpful as relevant ones, but 20,000 random links are better than 1 relevant link,

monty2002, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  6. awaken

awaken Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, i've had mixed opinions regarding this matter. some people are big advocates of quality over quantity, and others don't seem to care as much. so, let's say i used a manual directory submission service and added a couple hundred directory backlinks. in your opinion, would that help or harm my site?

awaken, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  7. mwtrag

mwtrag Peon

Best Answers:
    does anyone really have any proof that relevent has more weight than irrelevant? I'm not sold on the opinion that relevent makes that much more of a difference.

mwtrag, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  8. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    If a few hundred directory submissions harmed the site, people would be killing their competition by submitting their competitors site. Worst case is some of the links wont help much, however the ones that do make it worth while.

9. awaken

awaken Guest

Best Answers:
    got any recommendations for a good manual directory submission service?

awaken, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  10. abstroose

abstroose Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Check out the services forum, a lot of great bargain packages there ;)

abstroose, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  11. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Kulwinder has a massive thread in the services section and ALOT of happy customers. I've used him numerous times, hes very professional and has a high inclusion rate and good pricing.

I highly recommend him.

12. givancy2002

givancy2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try this one: http://backlinkwatch.com/
    It arranges backlinks from the highest PR to lowest one. definitely you can save tons of time.

givancy2002, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  13. Carlito

Carlito Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of times irrelevant links are the result of high rankings, not the cause. A site that has top rankings for a competitive term for any length of time is going to find their link on all sorts of spammy pages that mix and match search results in a pathetic attempt to auto generate content. There are literally millions of them out there.

Do those links actually help their rankings? Personally I think they do to some degree, but that's a matter of opinion!

Carlito, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    Spyral likes this.