1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Googles Personalized PageRank!! @|@ Important Issues

Discussion in 'Google' started by Sem-Advance, Aug 13, 2007.

Okay well it's my 3000th post and I figured since almost everyone here at DP obsesses over PageRank.... lets turn up the heat and see how we can score

Google Personal PageRank

Resources:
    http://nlp.stanford.edu/projects/pagerank.shtml

http://www2003.org/cdrom/papers/refereed/p185/html/p185-jeh.html

Sep Kamvar developed a search engine that Google purchased a while back.

You can read the whole interview here.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/interview_with_sep_kamvar_google_personalization.php

Follow the links to find out more information on Googles Personalized PageRank.

What do you think?

Is this the next thing you will need to lose sleep over?

What will you tell clients?

What will you tell your friends??

Will the be Personalized PageRank Updates??

:eek:

Sem-Advance, Aug 13, 2007 IP
    joshbond likes this.
  2. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure what this means? Can you explain what a personal pr is? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick :)

pondlife, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  3. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While the use of PageRank has proven very effective, the web's rapid growth in size and diversity drives an increasing demand for greater flexibility in ranking. Ideally, each user should be able to define his own notion of importance for each individual query.

So Personal PageRank = Each user should be able to define his own notion of importance for each individual query.

4. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was expecting a better topic for your 3,000th post

oseymour, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  5. lajocar

lajocar Banned

Best Answers:
    whats next rent page rank?

lajocar, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Well that's odd because as far as I know you never PMd me to offer some more intelligent fodder to post.

In addition the post was not can i offer something better to discuss. ;)

Care to share your thoughts on the subject as stated?

That wasn't a lot of ranting for an SEO Ranter....

7. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    lmao at sem (Guru) vs wannabe anyway,

Im wondering how this will affect the selling of links and websites. Does this mean that Personal PR will replace bulk attributed PR?

mobilebay, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    No guru here but thank you.

I think it will depend on the user and what they want.

SEOs might want to see personalized results.

However I have also seen where personalized results are irritating to those people who do not want the same results presented when they search.

In my eyes personalized search does not work as we often search for what we don't know, so how a search engine can personalize something we've never searched before remains to be seen.

My thoughts are this Individualized PageRank could make things even more insane in regards to webmasters fretting over the current PageRank algorithm.

mobilebay likes this.
  9. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm, that sounds like it may drive people crazy even more than this last week, if thats possible. ( plus you helped me when I needed it, so your a guru to me:)
    I can imagine the whole thing being very confusing.

10. four27pm

four27pm Banned

Best Answers:
    yah, making PR personalized get worst... is it just like giving reputation?

four27pm, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  11. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know.....I even disappointed myself on that one....but congrats on making it to 3,000. that's a lot of time on DP...

oseymour, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  12. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm amazed SEO ranter thought you would have at least a few queries :)

13. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ... holy cow, is that quote from google scary or what. The more you share with them the higher your PR. Anyone read "1984" recently?

drgeorgep, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  14. godmode

godmode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting thought and a good discussion.

I guess many people didnt really understand what the topic was :D

Google toolbar literally reads your mind, it stores all your activity on the internet, your habits, what you surf, what you like (topics you often search), what sites you click on when you search google etc.

If you have noticed, google is already using this PPR algo for some time now and i am sure they will extend this further.

If you are logged into iGoogle and search for a keyword "abc". You click on any of the webpage, google stores that information for you. Next time you search for the same keyword, you will get that results and also notice a message " You visited this website 12 times".

You will also notice that if you click on that site often, it shows up high on the search results ONLY for you since google feels you seem to like that site and gives more importance that other search results. This is also used to rank that page on global basis. In google's opinion, what people like to read should rank higher than a bunch of cloaked keyword or high PR high backlinks sites.

This would be more interesting in future, when google might be able to personalise this to individual based on his identity (SSN or something else) or we might need a open ID to surf the net, well you never know :D

Reps appreciated!

godmode, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  15. Geraldm

Geraldm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So they are going to get rid of this global PR then .... everyone is going to have different PR results for different sites depending on what they tell Google is important to them in search results ???? :confused:

That's the end of PR commerce then I guess.........

Geraldm, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  16. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Well dont be too hard on yourself and thank you!

I don't know that this will happen but as godmode noted in his post it is in place to some extent with them telling us the number of times we visited a link and time stamping as well.

I think personalized search is limited in scope due to the fact we don't usually search for what we know.......

Typically we search for what we do not know and want to learn.....this is where I see personalization of search failing.

The search engines cannot know what we want to learn...they might think they can.... but till implanted in our brains... the machine will never be smarter than the humans.

Sem-Advance, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  17. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so does it mean google seo will be more crazy:D?

trichnosis, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    lol well I don't believe SEO is going to get any easier.....if that helps.

This would seem to make individuals Authority Hubs almost...

Sem-Advance, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  19. kwan

kwan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is already happening, Google has mentioned it several times but it's something they are gradually moving to. Like Sep mentioned in the interview they are already using data from peoples web history and iGoogle for that reason and we should see it getting more and more personalized over time.

If you look how the Pagerank algo has grown over the years I don't think it will be as simple as showing results only based on your past searches, but also your location, interests, age, and all the other data Google is building up on us. We will probably see a big leap forward once the sale of Doubleclick goes through.

From a search engine users standpoint I think this is a good thing. Us SEO people know how search engines and how long tail works, so we know for example to search for "buy house miami florida pool beachfront realtor prices compare" but still the #1 search term is simply "home buying". If a suburban elderly couple just visited a dozen websites about retiring in Florida they don't want to see high priced one room apartments in New York.

And yes, SEO will be more work when that happens but I will be relieved to finally be able to focus on providing good content like Google claims we should be doing instead of trading in hot air (=pagerank).

kwan, Aug 14, 2007 IP
  20. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL If this is the case. This is how Google will get rid of the paid link for PR issue isnt it.

lpstong, Aug 14, 2007 IP