1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Get Sued

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by calisonder, Aug 9, 2007.

I have a quick question,

today i had a client approach me and ask if i would design him a logo, i said yes, and he wants the logo to be exactly like the GI Joe logo.

If i designed his logo based on the GI Joe logo, could whoever owns GI Joe sue me or the owner of the logo, my client?

comments/advice?

calisonder, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  2. thundercow

thundercow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends. A copied logo can trigger trademark infringement or copyright infringement.

But trademark infringement requires that customers seeing the mark would be confused as to the origin of the two products--the similarity of the products *underlying* the marks becomes important. And so, the GI Joe mark is for toys, right? So, if your client sells toys=greater likelihood of confusion. If your client sells something totally different, like hamburgers=must less likelihood of confusion.

Then, what about the similarity in the actual words--of course that would be important, is the new design "GI Moe"? "Joes Hamburgers"? --those "similar" names would create more of a problem, as you might imagine.

With trademark law, if the words aren't similar, and the products aren't similar, then that would strongly tend to indicate that you (and your client) will be fine.

But there's more: you wouldn't be responsible for trademark infringement just for doing the design--only your client would. Of course, you don't want to get your client in trouble.

Why don't you tell a bit more about the *new* design and I can pin it down a bit better for you. There is a copyright issue too--but if you are using regularly available fonts and the obvious: english language letters (you can't copyright the alphabet, for obvious reasons).

I wrote a trademark primer thats a pretty good place to start if you want to learn a bit more, it's here

thundercow, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    calisonder likes this.
  3. calisonder

calisonder Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you very much for the wisdom

the client wants the logo to say TI Joe, which sounds similar

but he is a dog breeder, which is obviously not releated to action figures

but if the "we" get sued, couldn't the client just play dumb and say that i designed it and it's my fault

calisonder, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    This is where your contract comes into play and you get instructions in written form.

You should air your concerns to the client and ensure that the contract includes an indemnity clause. Wont stop you being sued but does strengthen your claim of the damages back from the client.

AstarothSolutions, Aug 9, 2007 IP
    calisonder likes this.
  5. henryb

henryb Member

Best Answers:
    It is not illegal for an artist to make a copy of a Rembrant's painting. But it is illegal to try to sell it as an original.
    I'd say make him to state clearly in writting what he wants, what will happen after that is his problem.

henryb, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  6. KunkVentures

KunkVentures Peon

Best Answers:
    as the creator you are not liable at all. It is not illegal to create any likeness or image, it is only illegal to profit from it. You can draw nike logos on your t-shirts all you want, just can't sell them.

Your client is the only one at risk.

KunkVentures, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  7. amf-flt

amf-flt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Walk away.

For a logo design where you already know the outcome (you know exactly what the logo is going to look like before you even start), why would you bother putting yourself at risk? You can bet you'll be considered a party to the suit (and there will be one if the cease-and-desist letter that the client gets is ignored) even if you're not the primary target. Do you really need the client that badly that you'd go through this hassle? The fact that you asked here says that you already are aware that you're being asked to do something you're not comfortable with. Why bother?

amf-flt, Aug 11, 2007 IP
    calisonder likes this.
  8. calisonder

calisonder Peon

Best Answers:

but if i "draw" the JI Joe logo, i'd be selling it to him?

calisonder, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  9. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But if the designer is getting paid for the creation of the logo, isn't that profiting from the design?

chant, Aug 12, 2007 IP