1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seek out Venture Capitalist, Go Public, or stay private?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by LinkGuru, Aug 10, 2007.

Hey I have a site where I know the niche and it's unique and original. Anyone have experience going through a Venture Capitalist..it seems like they would take control over your company and you would basically owe them your life, or trying to sell shares in your company/site publicly. There has to be an inexpensive way to let people invest in your company without going through attornies right? Any thoughts on this...and while were on this topic, what are your methods to raise capital from outside sources? Kinda hard to launch a great site/idea without outside money, althought I'm doing it...I'll continue to abuse free directories till you enlighten me ;p

LinkGuru, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  2. perpuma

perpuma Guest

Best Answers:
    In short, you're right to assume VCs can be a pain in the ___ . They can be worked with of course, but it isn't easy, especially for someone without experience.

Look into "angel investors" and see what you can find.

Consider asking friends and family.

Think seriously about exactly how much money you need. Can you get your idea off the ground with less than you're thinking now? The answer certainly could be no, but when you're asking for money, the less you need the better.

perpuma, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  3. landexcorp

landexcorp Peon

Best Answers:
    How much money do you need, I have been involved in VC, Angel, boot strapped projects. Unless revenue potential is huge (or you can convince them it is huge), VCs won't touch it.

Depending on the concept, I would recommend bootstrapping it, or find a partner.

landexcorp, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  4. oldgym

oldgym Peon

Best Answers:
    I have run successful websites with no budget,

mainly i rely on organic SEO and posting in free forums/classifieds. i make my own websites and pay cheap hositng at godady.

but i will admit that i cannot achieve full potential with out advertising in some print material and adwords or other websites and that costs big bucks, were talking thousands if not tens of thousands a year.

oldgym, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  5. DavidF9

DavidF9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    VCs will ask for a high equity stake in your business. Unless you want to surrender control to them, their probably not the best option for you.

Try your bank - you can still raise substantial money without giving up equity.

DavidF9, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  6. bccruzer

bccruzer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey,
    I was a VC analyst for a period of time. Its extremely difficult to get VC funding, but I will tell you what they are looking for, in essence.
    A solid, yet original business plan
    A unique idea, or preferably, a large innovation on a previous idea.

Do you need over a million to build your idea? Congratulations. Feel free to work with anything like Sequoia Capital, Novus or anything else.

If you're looking for $10,000 or so, and some great advice and connections, go to YCombinator.com

bccruzer, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  7. nextfx

nextfx Peon

Best Answers:
    In my personal experience I would say to at least attempt to do whatever you can to fund it yourself. You will save yourself a lot of headaches and *ss kissing...

nextfx, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  8. Valley

Valley Peon

Best Answers:
    How much do you need then?

Valley, Aug 11, 2007 IP