1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

General Search Engine Marketing

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Baby Boy, Aug 10, 2007.

Hey Everyone,

I just joined not TOOO long ago and lately I've been trying to learn search engine marketing but I need some help. I've been reading articles and tutorials, but I need some advice and tips for me to use in this field. I am trying to learn right now:

1. Basic Page Optimization
    2. Search Engine Submissions
    3. Top 25 Search Engines
    4. Search Marketing Tools (I am browsing through SubmitEdge's tools they have right now)
    5. Has anyone used SEO Studio? I downloaded the free version and I am wondering what is useful about it?
    6. What is the difference between SEM and SEO? I didn't think there was any but apparently there is.

Any help is appreciated, compliment me for my will to learn :D :eek:

Baby Boy, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    1. Basic Page Optimization

Do a search or read through the forum. There's also a number of sites that discuss or have tuturials, including this one on basic page optimization.

2. Search Engine Submissions

Most people only concentrate on Google, Yahoo, and MSN (Live)...and in that order. So few visitors use the other search engines that they're barely worth worrying about. Besides, most of your optimizations will work for the others anyway. You can submit sitemaps to all three, if you wish.

3. Top 25 Search Engines

See above.

4. Search Marketing Tools (I am browsing through SubmitEdge's tools they have right now)

I'd suggest looking at this thread on Firefox and the available plugins.

5. Has anyone used SEO Studio? I downloaded the free version and I am wondering what is useful about it?

I have not.

6. What is the difference between SEM and SEO? I didn't think there was any but apparently there is.

Search Engine Marketing deals with advertising, PPC, etc.

Search Engine Optimization deals with organic search results. The idea is to rank highly in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Page) for the respective search engine, usually Google.

usasportstraining, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  3. Baby Boy

Baby Boy Guest

Best Answers:
    ^^ Thank you for your responses.

I read a website that listed the following:

1. The Title Tag
    2. META Description and META Keywords
    3. Copywriting
    4. ALT Tags
    5. Site Map
    6. Dealing w/ Flash
    7. Dealing w/ Dynamic Pages
    8. File Formats
    9. Framed Sites and Pages
    10. JavaScript
    11. Get Professional Help
    12. Get Free Help Through SEO Forums

Is that it or is there more to optimization?

Alright, I agree that Google, Yahoo and MSN(Live) are the biggest. But don't you have to submit to each search engine to be listed in each search engine? I know there are search engine submission scripts, but I want to be listed in quality search engines, most of them submit to search engines I never heard of.

I am a "Opera" person... :p sorry :)

Thank you for clearing that up for me. SEM sounds mainly like "paid inclusions" compared to SEO being "organic" (free in a way) inclusions. Right?

4. Rebecca Kelley

Rebecca Kelley Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to shamelessly plug our Beginner's Guide to Search Engine Optimization on SEOmoz. We're in the process of updating it now, but the older version still has a lot of good information about the basics of SEO for any beginner looking to get a good grasp of it.

I'd also recommend reading various SEO blogs and asking questions in forums. People in this industry are generally very willing to help out newbies and share tips and tricks--it's a very open community. You'll learn a lot very quickly if you frequent various SEO blogs and forums.

Rebecca Kelley, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  5. Baby Boy

Baby Boy Guest

Best Answers:
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think you must start learning with what on site seo.

if you search that term, you can find a start point for you

trichnosis, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  7. Baby Boy

Baby Boy Guest

Best Answers:
    ^^ Could you please be a tiny bit more specific. I am kind of confused at the moment with what exactly your getting at?