1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Death of Google's PR to threaten Directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by The Pheonix, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsaleem

hsaleem Rocket!

Best Answers:
    IMO they wouldn't remove/take away the PR from the toolbar but if they do, I would rely on SEOmoz's page strength (They also count PR as a factor) but that can be removed from the measurement and we can have a good idea about the worth of any site.

hsaleem, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Thats true small / new directories will be the biggest losers , but again if they lose the big directory owners also lose.

amitpatel_3001, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  3. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Big directory owners will always keep having a "strong" website, no matter if PR will exist in the future or if they gonna call it another name.
    Big directories will lose, no doubt, but i don't think it will be much.

Jarodboy, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It just makes me laugh. Some guy has posted his thoughts, and every webmaster is joining in the debate. If I told you google were releasing i flashing pink version of the toolbar would you belive me?

No, so with no official word from google, no proof, no REASON to remove the technology behind their accurate search engine, why do you belive it.

Google has become the best SE due to PR - thats why it domainates the SE market. its more accurate than MSN etc due to PR, so why would they remove it. They wouldnt remove it due to buying and selling of links, as thats why they have started the paid link crackdown - rather than scrapping it alltogethor

As amit said, they wouldnt remove a clever technology that they spent years and millions of $$$ on. And if they did, webmasters would have to get backlinks from directories rather than from high PR blogs etc - so more business for us directory owners.

mikey1090, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  5. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Read the Adam's post on 4th page of webmasters forum

:)

MeetHere, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  6. amitpatel_3001

Best Answers:
    Which means current 3-4 monthly PR update will be now 6 months+ ;)

7. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Already developed directories would not get affected but for new directories it would be hard to 'market'.

Mong, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  8. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry no official announcement from google ... just assumptions from people.

Pagerank is not used by SEO's only (as was the case with supplemental tag), and the reason google introduced pagerank was to help general people determine the authority of a site, so they wont just go and remove it.

WorldImpulse, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  9. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google displays the best results because of PR? Thats not true.

And Google invested millions in it, but then Matt Cutts didn't even know that the data export happened for it!?

It's all hype either way you look at it. If PR is scrapped, Google will still be the best SE by a mile and still display relevant results as PR has no effect on SERPs.

The paid link crackdown is to stop spammy sites getting authority backlinks from unrelevant websites. Search manipulation...

terryuk, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  10. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i jsut read some more

Should google remove PR from the toolbar is the question.

It doesnt say they are removing PR alltogethor.

mikey1090, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  11. infogle

infogle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think i am also in favor of removing PR as it creates a confusion sometimes... be whatever way it affects google... yes i am though sure about the aftereffects to webmasters who work only on PR but many of others will also be benefited...

Its purely an individual view some will like to have as they have advertised on the websites with high PR... but it sometimes happen to have a higher PR but the website traffic is not at all up to the mark and if you are selling or marketing or affiliating something its all about traffic at the end of the day as traffic only.. could make sales... PR can only give you green-marks

Now its up to you if you want to follow PR or actual traffic...

infogle, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  12. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But seriously, why would the average joe want to see the authority of a website? They want to find information or shop for what they are looking for.. not see a green bar changing every time they goto different websites.

terryuk, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  13. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    An average joe will want to see the authority of the website because there is no other way he can trust a site.
    If some one is on a site from methods other than search what is the way to trust the information given on the website for an average joe ? Yes it is that green bar ;)

So stop worrying :p

WorldImpulse, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Why is this necessary? Very few general directories pass anything in the way of traffic so that leaves back links. Does Google really differentiate between one directory and another. As far as I am aware there arn't any meaningful measures of relevence as yet but that might be one area to look at.

workshop, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  15. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No.. He gave his reply to members asking for Frequent PR update. ;)

MeetHere, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  16. PowerExtreme

PowerExtreme Banned

Best Answers:
    really dunno if its goin to happen or no but i hope it doesnt

PowerExtreme, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  17. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    That is why i have delayed my directory project. I have an intution that something is gonna happen to the PR.

Dependency on PR of a directory is too much. New directories will loose a lot. Only the top directories in google would continue to earn.

My whole business revolves around PR and I know that is pretty bad. Depending on any one source is bad.

If PR is scrapped (one day or another it is bound to happen), I might jump into products market. Launch a few softwares or some cool scripts. Its not that bad market.

I agree with you.

Webmasters manipulating the PR is the only concern that makes me think that PR would be scrapped on day.

Although I sometime myself decide website quality by looking at its PR.
    Yesterday I was shopping for a camera and i bumped into a website from some source (not from search), I checked the PR, then backlinks and then indexed pages to check the quality of website. A normal person would check their feedbacks. :p:D

SumitBahl, Aug 10, 2007 IP
    Mong likes this.
  18. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    PageRank is just for webmasters, for normal internet users pagerank is of no importance. Do you think my mother cares about pagerank when visiting a website? No, she only cares about the results. Searching google and finding something, with or without pagerank.

Webmasters who build links for websites should know better than to rely soly on pagerank. Linkbuildig companies like webuildpages or seomoz passed this stage a long time ago.

Reference material: http://www.seomoz.org/article/link-building-guide, http://www.seobook.com/archives/001792.shtml, http://www.jimboykin.com/site-backlinks

Just read a quote somewhere:

Hopefully this will become the new measurement standard for web directories: send my listing traffic and you will have more business from me!

WhatiFind, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  19. amitpatel_3001

Best Answers:
    Exactly the same thing we would do because we are all addicted to this type of Quality check ;) and we dont just rely on the testimonials ;)

20. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Testimonial can be manipulated......
    Search results/PR/BL could also be manipulated.....
    ohhh. well....... :D

SumitBahl, Aug 10, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.