1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jagger analysis

Discussion in 'Google' started by webvivre, Oct 31, 2005.

If the Jagger update is now complete and I am not sure whether there is another phase to come....

However, we have been analysing the effects to date on our 30+ sites. We have 2 sites that were deployed at about the same time with the same template. They are about 6 month old abd did not seem to be in the sand-box for long. The amount of content is similar.

We are in real estate web sites who have supposed to have been hit by the latest shuffle.

On Google, both sites prior to update were enjoying some page #1 positions and indeed some #1 positions. We actively exchange 2-way links but we do try to make sure that they are relevant. Rankings on MSN, and Yahoo are page #1 too for our main keywords.

The results for Google - on less competitive keywords (below 600,000 competing pages), we have maintained our positions. Above 600,000 we have lost top rankings and in some cases are off the radar.

Our guess is that "new" reciprocal links have been devalued and this shows on particulalry competitive keywords. However, we think new reciprocal links still have some value.

On older sites where we use a similar strategy, the effect is not seen so much --- so we think that the "age" factor might be crucial. But even here we think reciprocal links have been devalued.

We would be interested if anybody else is seeing the same trends.

Are 3 way links or 1 way links showing any better SERPs?

webvivre, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  2. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    My trends are not the same.

My site's been open since 1996, lots of one way links, some very old, most developed during the last two years for our 'money' pages.

Gone from number 1 rankings for medium competitive keywords, and number 3 to 5 rankings for extremely competitive keywords - to - rankings in the 200's and 300's.

No recips at all.

I hope this update is not complete.

Last night I was doing research for some electronics I'm thinking of buying. The google results were poor overall. Lots of cnet and zdnet 'review' pages with no content ("review for this product not done yet"). Lots of bizrate pages. In actual use, serps overall were pretty poor.

Google needs to factor backlinks back in. Most of the useless results I found had none, but still their were listed in the top ten for medium competitive phrases.

Christopher, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  3. gford

gford Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a personal experience of not liking the new google results. I was trying to find a site that showing fantasy football (american NFL) rankings for various positions. So I go to google and try 'nfl wr rankings'. After 10-15 minutes of finding nothing on the first few pages I go to www.msn.com and type 'nfl wr rankings'. Low and behold I found what I was after at #4 on the first page.

This is just one personal experience example where I am now finding better results on M$N then G.

gford, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  4. suzigeek

suzigeek Peon

Best Answers:
    I also I had a 'negative search experience on google' recently.

Someone on a forum was searching for a particular peice of webmaster software by its name which is a unique name that is not a common term on Google...(which now I can't remember)....but anyway they said they couldn't find it.

I decided to try the MSN and guess what? Number 1!! Yahoo! first page!!

Google did not even have it in its results pages. It was not a piece of blakhat software I beleive it was stats software, and it has been around for quite a bit of time so it is definitely not something new.

So Google definitly is having issues with search results. IMO

suzigeek, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. magoo

magoo Peon

Best Answers:
    I've pretty much switched to using Yahoo or MSN altogether now. Partly out of google hatred for being so tough on new sites but more and more because the results I got were total rubbish. The devaluing new links theory holds for my site

magoo, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  6. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    We don't see any shift any of the sites we run - so has jagger3 hit?

sGroup, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jagger isn't done yet. jagger 3 hasnt even started yet, as far as i can tell. i dont even see jagger "2" results very often either.

lorien1973, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  8. sGroup

sGroup Peon

Best Answers:
    sGroup, Oct 31, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've been hearing this "reciprocal links are devalued / discounted / penalized" silliness for months now.

Give it up. It's not happening and it's not going to happen.

And while I'm at it, it has nothing to do with Coop links, either.

minstrel, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  10. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    someone mentioned that googleguy posted on WMW that Jagger3 won't start til wednesday, so theres hope yet!

heapseo, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  11. magoo

magoo Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you know? it seems to hold true for a lot of people, if you want to state that you disagree with a theory why don't you post some evidence to back it up

magoo, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  12. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    The evidence is the lack of consistancy.

Right now, sites are all over the place, up and down, whether they use the coop or not.

Christopher, Nov 1, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  13. maro

maro Peon

Best Answers:
    I am detecting some changes on the following DCs

anyone else?

maro, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  14. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have made up a web page to show the results I have recorded for one of my pages throughout this Update.

You can scroll across and see the changes per Datacenter.

Note: the Datacenters are grouped by C-Block.

October Google Event - Jagger

Also;
    If you are interested in seeing similar data that was recorded throughout the February/March Google Event

Caryl

mcdar, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  15. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    seeing slight changes (for the better) not as drastic as I was hoping for though :(

heapseo, Nov 1, 2005 IP