1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Watermark/logo on video and video compression

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Hodgedup, Oct 30, 2005.

Does anyone know the best way to add a logo to a video? Also, what's the best thing to use to get good compression on videos so they aren't huge?

I have tried a couple of different things, but I end up with a file size that's twice as large as before I started.

Basically I'd just like to tag vidoes with my logo and keep them from being too large.

Thank you.

Hodgedup, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    For my video projects I use magix video deluxe 2006, you can add an image to the movie (as a watermark, stretch it over the complete movie) and export it as MPEG-2 Export: Video: 720x576; 25.00 Frames/s; PAL; 4500 kBit/s Audio: 44100 Hz; Stereo; 192 kBit/s.

Then burn the mpeg movie with nero to a dvd or super video cd and play it with your dvd player.

WhatiFind, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  3. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was looking to make vidoes smaller for viewing on the web.

Something like 320 X 240.

4. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Trying to make a film about monkeys and strippers?

GRIM, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  5. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:

Think it's gonna be about my wife;)

Roman, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  6. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I'll be making some original sketches for my site. They're kind of like my posts, but only in video form.

If I can figure out the best way to display them online without them being huge and I also need to label them.

7. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    With this magix program you can also export to a lower mpeg quality. I used the e-version, it´s downloadable for $50,- I believe. Imo value for money. You can check the demo version, but with the demo you cannot export the movie.

WhatiFind, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  8. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Hey if your doing it on the web gallery2 has a automatic watermark thingie ;)

Shoemoney, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    It's really easy to do with AfterEffects or Premiere. Compression is always a debate. There are commercial MPG compression libraries that offer better stuff than the freebies - Ligos comes to mind as the cheap one < $100 maybe even < 50, but then you jump straight into the < $1000 category. Divx is not expensive and is the best, but of course your users have to have divx and you'll have a lot of bent out of shape people on your hands.

Come to think of it, I don't know if Ligos sells their libraries directly anymore. Wait... they do... just checked. It's Indeo now. http://www.ligos.com/indeo.htm it's only $15.

nevetS, Oct 31, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  10. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I was using Premiere to do watermarks, but then I always end up with a lot bigger video than what I started with.

So Ligos is a good codec then?

The bad thing is Premiere is so wishy washy sometimes.

Hodgedup, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  11. srijit

srijit Peon

Best Answers:
    try autogk to compress avi made with premiere

srijit, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  12. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    You know, I never pay attention to file size - I do pretty much my home videos, nothing for the web. Using the Title in Premiere you should be able to do an overlay and stretch it for the duration of the project. I really can't comprehend something like that doubling the file size.

Ligos is good IMO. I did a lot of research about two years ago, so a lot may have chagned since then, but it was by far the best bang for the buck. When I need something shrunk down, I use divx - which is easy for me since my intended audience is all people who can call me on the phone. The more expensive codecs offer better quality/faster compression/sometimes better compression but the differences are hard to discern past file size. The cost/benefit of one of the really expensive codecs would require you to do a lot of web videos or have a huge audience for it to even be a thought. I've been trying to remember some names, but I'm coming up dry. It's been a long time since I went poking around researching codecs.

nevetS, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  13. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah this is for a site that has a lot of video clips so that's why I'm making a big deal out of file size. I mean if you have serveral hundred videos and they are being watched a lot then file size becomes a big issue.

The reason why it doulbed it was not the logo it was some of the files I was dealing with were more compressed then what I was able to do with the same quality of video.

Hodgedup, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  14. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    ligos rocked back in the day, it was a great encoder.

but today you don't want to put any kind of mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 video on the 'net, it's too big... the best bang for the buck is the free windows media encoder from microsoft, be sure and use the two-pass encoding option.

shoot the video in dv format, edit it in premiere or even the windows movie maker, and put a semi-transparent graphic or title over the top of the entire clip to help prevent people from stealing your content... locate it down low, where it's out of the way... export to a dv avi file, so that there is basically no compression going on, then import that dv file into the windows media encoder, and it'll give you a .wmv file.

danimal, Nov 1, 2005 IP
    Hodgedup likes this.
  15. NukaCola

NukaCola Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, here is a suggestion. VidLogo @ geovid
    very useful for me
    take a look
    :cool:

NukaCola, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  16. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use premier to capture and edit. Then I frame serve using DebugMode Frame server. This sends it to a virtual placeholder file which I read with TMPGenc, an encoder that has many codec and sizing options. I also use it's noise reduction and de-interlace. I get best results with the mp2 codec; this used to be free with TMPGenc, but I think now you only get that codec for a 30 day trial. Other than that both tools are free, or at least they were when I got them.

I had a big jump in quality when I realized although usb2 is as fast as firewire, videocameras port out the usb1 spec and the firewire port is a higher quality. Not a single freakin mention of this anywhere in sony's manual or website.

jazzylee77, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  17. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    LOL - I thought it was just me. USB Captures were either crappy picture, bad sound, or tons of dropped frames - or a combo of all three. I just figured my camera was quirky. Luckily I'm all firewired out, so I had all the connectors and drivers installed from the get-go.

nevetS, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  18. NukaCola

NukaCola Peon

Best Answers:
    search geovid web! its too simple

NukaCola, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  19. harshad83

harshad83 Peon

Best Answers:
    try Blaze media pro...its works very well and gr8 editing s/w slong with adding logo and watermark

harshad83, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  20. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Vidlog at Geovid,
    Spoke to their tech support yesterday,
    they have a batch option coming soon so you can take oodles of videos and get them watermarked in a batch.

joeventura, Feb 14, 2006 IP