1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Real Websites vs. Blogs

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Chopster, Oct 30, 2005.

I hope the title of this thread doesn't offend any blog owners. I just don't know any other way to differentiate between the two.

I was curious if anyone knows if real websites have an edge of blog websites. Can you make just as much money with either of them?

I was under the impression that blogs were not taken as seriously as real websites.

Chopster, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    A blog is really just a set of web pages. A website can have a blog and non-blog content, too, there's nothing that says they're mutually exclusive. You can make money both ways. I recommend actually having a blog whenever possible, even on a regular site, because it's an easy way to get content quickly indexed by the search engines.

Eric Giguere, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  3. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can blog about anything you want....which is quite handy for contextual ads....

saying that..i don't even have a blog :(

#duh!# ;)

Solicitors Mortgages, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  4. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, search engines crawl blogs faster than regular site contents... plus the fact that there are lot of people looking for rss feed for their site. It's an advantage to blog owners because you don't need to search for someone to give you a link and promote your site.

Right now google start their Adsense for RSS which is good news I guess

PinoyIto, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  5. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the thing about blogs - they are designed to let people know when they are updated. Most blogging platforms "ping" blog search engines, most automatically generate an RSS feed, some have plugins which will update a google sitemap and ping google with the update.

While there are some amazining websites out there they tend to be fairly static. They also lack the built in tools to let people (and search engines) know when there is new material. While the spiders will find it eventually the fact is an old style website is increasingly less attractive as a publishing medium.

But, good news, as Eric points out, it is fairly easy to integrate a blog onto your old style website's front page and reap the bloggy benefits.

lingeriediva, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    relixx likes this.
  6. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    I think websites, blogs, and combinations of the two all have potential to make good money from AdSense. As others have mentioned, blogs are a great way to get indexed, but on the negative side, they do take some effort to create content for. Whether its a blog or website, the formula stays the same impressions * CTR * CPC = earnings.

tlainevool, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  7. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think is easy to make money from blogs, at least that my experience...:(

Jarodboy, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Blogs *are* websites :rolleyes:

SEbasic, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  9. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blogs are great for many reasons, one of which is that it is easy for somebody with little or no knowledge of HTML etc to set up a web presence. Serious 'bloggers' should consider hosting the blog on their own server though, as opposed to just using the free space offered by Blogger etc.

T

Amsterdam, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  10. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Also blogs are considered to be of high relevance when considered for PageRank purpose. This is due to the fact that they system looks at them as real honest opinions posted by people who have had experience with the site they have posted about. Where as a website is generally not always doing this as they have many ad links on them.

TheNetCode, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  11. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with those who say it is fairly easy to get a blog some traffic.. I have done almost no work on marketing my blog and in a very short amount of time has a lot more regular traffic than other sites I have spent effort on..

I don't get it to be quite honest.. but it is what it is. :)

aeiouy, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  12. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

One of the biggest reasons are that people surf through the blogs by using the surf tool that most blogs offer. This allows them to go through many blogs and find new and interesting ones. If you have a good blog they will bookmark you and return.

TheNetCode, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  13. Jako

Jako Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have a blog, but I do view quite a few popular ones. I would consider them a type of website.

Jako, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  14. dawggone

dawggone Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a lot of blogs -- some are the web site and some are subdomains or the like. I think of a blog as simply a content management tool. Sometimes using the blog as your main site just makes sense in terms of time and organization. Sometimes it doesn't.

dawggone, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  15. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I have three blogs and I use them as a compliment to my websites:

My Fashion Blog
    My Lingerie Blog
    My Personal Blog

I think blogs are great components to websites since they are (usually) updated often and the spiders keep coming back for more since search engines love fresh content. Blogging is an excellent way to build links and create content as long as you are commited and update your blog often. :)

ViciousSummer, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  16. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Um a gunna have to get me one of them there blog things.

Ha....sorry couldn't resist.

MattL, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  17. webinv

webinv Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want an excellent example of a "regular" websites that incorporates a blog then go visit:

http://www.sitepoint.com

Either way you can make money and make the site look / feel professional regardless if it is a blog or not.

-Jon

webinv, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  18. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself to main questions:

1. How often will you update?
    2. Will the updates be short blurbs of info or long articles?

If it's very often and short then go with a blog. If it's not very often and long go with "regular". If it's some of each go with "regular" and a blog section.

MattL, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  19. capebretoner

capebretoner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like blogs simply because they are soo easy to update and play with. I have two currently one webmaster and one personal. The personal one is just that, I post cool stuff that I think friends like etc, but it is also dead in Google's eyes. All bots blocked.

My webmaster blog is crawled daily and more and updated 2x a week

However the sites that I make money on are "real" websites, I make little to nothing on Blogs

capebretoner, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  20. avillanueva

avillanueva Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed that too. our website has a higher CTR than my blogs.

avillanueva, Nov 18, 2005 IP